Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstall Windows 7 Starter on Netbook

Options
  • 06-11-2012 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,
    I have a Samsung NF110 netbook bought over a year ago and hadnt completed the Windows setup, instead I installed Ubuntu on it and but hadn't realised there was no comeback when I selected single boot meaning that the recovery position was overwritten.

Am I able to get Windows 7 Starter again on the netbook as the Product Key hasn't been activated?

Do I need to bring it into a PC shop to reinstall it and if so what PC Repair shops in Blanch or Dublin to get it done?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

If you can find someone with a Samsung W7 Starter DVD/iso you can make a bootable USB and then enter the product key if it asks for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Hi
    Thanks for your reply, sadly I dont know anyone who has a windows 7 starter dvd or ISO.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭BroLo

Is it 64-bit or 32-bit? I'm not sure if Starter comes in 64 but I need to ask anyway.

EDIT: There is no 64-bit.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

Go here and download the 32-bit version of Windows 7 Home Premium.

http://www.windowsvalley.com/unlock-all-editions-from-windows-7-iso-image-x86-and-x64/

Use the instructions here to edit the ei.cfg file.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

Go back here to create a bootable USB.

NOTE: I take no responsibility for any damage caused to your computer, nothing should happen but I just don't wanna be blamed if a freak accident happens. As far as I know you have to use another Windows PC to use the tools. As you have a key already you will not need to use the key finder.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 Jumpinj82

Hey, yeah, you can set it up again using the windows key. It should be on the bottom of the netbook.

Problem is with netbooks is that you need a portable dvd drive and an original windows 7 disk to be able to install windows back on.

I had the same problem and couldn't get the right disk anywhere, so i brought it to these guys in Ballycoolin. I think they were called HNS Computer Clinics or something. They sorted it for me in a day or two, but had to pay €60 for it.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 7 lynch.ie

The simple way to do this yourself is download the correct windows OS .iso as per your windows COA sticker on the bottom of your laptop which also lists your product key.

You can then move the .iso to a usb stick and make sute to build it as bootable.

Then go ahead and boot from your usb key and do a stright forward install...

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 dubgurl

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all the replies!
    Great that people can help!

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks.

Advertisement