Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options
  • 06-11-2012 1:23pm
    Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭

Once upon a time a very kind poster here posted a video on my previous training log. I'm not sure whether it was to inspire me or scare the sh1t out of me. But all I know is I loved it. It's three and a half minutes of HTFU. It became the theme song for my race in Austria. So I'm continuing that theme for the next year of training. In 2013, I Harden The Fook Up. Anyone can go long (I proved that) but not everyone can go hard. Can I?

I'm not doing IM in 2013, I dont see the point in going back till I am a much better cyclist and swimmer. I also hate being back-of-the-pack race fodder. And the only way to pull myself up the ranks is pain, sweat and tears. I need to do the hard stuff I read about everyone else doing. Ive been far too casual. :) I have to say Im not terribly inspired at the thought of it all, I do love the crazy races and the big challenges (Id much rather be planning an ultra and the Norseman this year), but I've got to try, ya never know I might even learn to like it. I dont want to be DLBF anymore.

I need to improve my bloody bike skills. This is so slow to improve it makes me want to weep. I have to nail it this year.
    I need speed. Everything needs to get faster; swim, bike, run. Short and sharp training all the way, baby.
    I need to train smarter. Last year was all about endurance, and I cant do the volume Ive put in for IM while trying to hit higher intensity. I need to learn how to balance that.

So the masochistic plan for next year is as follows:

Now till Christmas, I am doing an s&c programme just for my own amusement to see what it does to my body. I will target strengths that will help in my tri stuff, (bodyweight exercises and plyometrics) no bodybuilder nonsense, but the idea is to gain a much stronger muscular base. And a six pack, naturally. :p

Also from now on, turbo, turbo, turbo. I will be trying to do at least two tough sets a week, progressive so that I can begin next year from a better position. Rightly or wrongly I plan to do a lot of the turbo work on the tt bike, to get myself used to that. And (oh god) I will start entering the club tt races. Once I can actually ride the tt bike... Swimming Ill keep plugging away, try to become better technically, and overcome my complete lack of arm/leg coordination! Running will be what it will be, its the other two that need the most work.

Racewise, I want to target some specific races rather than randomly entering stuff. I have two main races I want to do well in, both HIMs, one in June, one in September. They are the A targets for the year. I had hoped to do Athy but it clashes. :( I have yet to break 6 hours for HIM so thats got to happen.

I saw RedB list some long term targets, and here are mine. Some I aim to tick off this year, some are longer term.

Event|Current PB|Target
    10k|45.21|42.xx
    Sprint tri|1.21?|1.15
    Oly tri|3.04|2.40
    HIM|6.00.02|5.40
    Marathon|3.40.31|3.29
    IM|14.54|12.30

Thats it. New season, new fiendish plan for world domination. :p

Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
    Till my legs give out, can’t shut my mouth.
    Till the smoke clears out - am I high? Perhaps
    I'ma rip this sh1t till my bone collapse.
    Till the roof comes off, till the lights go out
    Till my legs give out, can’t shut my mouth.
    Till the smoke clears out and my high burn out
    I'ma rip this sh1t till my bone collapse.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

DLBF?? Dirty little b*tchy fecker?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Dory Dory wrote: »
    DLBF?? Dirty little b*tchy fecker?
    Hmpf. Shows what you think of me.

Dead Last But Finished. ;)

Oryx wrote: »
    Hmpf. Shows what you think of me.

Dead Last But Finished. ;)

Ha! No!! I just know your humor and sarcasm. I think you're the bomb! In fact, I want to be just like you when I grow up. ;):D

Ha! No!! I just know your humor and sarcasm. I think you're the bomb! In fact, I want to be just like you when I grow up. ;):D
    The only difference between kids and triathletes is the price of our toys.

In other news, yesterday I swam right past the gold sbr marker. It felt good. :) 2k of drills, paddles, kickboard and a half hearted effort at breaststroke. And someone stopped me and asked me about swimming. Lol. I said I wasnt best placed to advise on stroke, but dead chuffed to be asked.

I also managed a muscle crunching kb session, and went through the outline of the 'hardbody plan' with my kb coach. It should be interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

It tis a good song alright;)

• Advertisement

Well I sure picked the right day to start a htfu log. Swim session tonight was butterfly. Nothing but butterfly. I can't even swim butterfly! Lets just say it was a steep and painful learning curve. I think I managed three lengths where I didn't stop to gasp for breath midway. But a good session and I can see how learning the stroke would be beneficial. So I kinda need to practice it. Lots.

Speaking of steep learning curves, on Thursday I have my first proper full on, tri-based group turbo session. Which, dear god in heaven, I have to lead. And it can't be hr based as it's for beginners who don't have monitors... All I hope is that I don't get found out by the 'real' cyclists!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Nice intro hoochieslimshady! Best of luck with all the turbo ha ha. I've 2 winters of that pain done so giving it a break this time around. Like you, work on the weakness until I feel I can do the 140.6 justice again. Norseman also on the bucket list.

No mercy for the noobs on Thursday, give em hell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Best of luck Oryx.

+1 on the not doing it again until I can do it justice. Norseman is on my list also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Sounds like Norseman should be the Boards Champ race for 2014/2015!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Izoard wrote: »
    Sounds like Norseman should be the Boards Champ race for 2014/2015!

Now that the race is repeated over two days we could do it in pairs, no.1 person race on day 1 and be supported by no. 2 person; and vice versa on race day 2. Any takers? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

griffin100 wrote: »
    Now that the race is repeated over two days we could do it in pairs, no.1 person race on day 1 and be supported by no. 2 person; and vice versa on race day 2. Any takers? :)

I think that was for their anniversary year only, I could see Mrs C getting behind me on that anyways as it would help her boredom - it would be one that has always interested me as well although it is a lottery entry.

Surprised at you Gibbo, I would have thought you would have been more all over an IM Pb rather than something like this. This is more suited to sloggers like the above and not greyhounds like yourself :D:D

I wish I was CW!!!!! In my own head maybe but that's about all! :D

I think I'll be targetting a PB before Norseman but want to do it. If there were a few people going that I knew than I could be swayed to reverse things. The thought of jumping off that ferry was enough to sell it to me! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Ya it was that picture below that got my interest years ago myself.

August 2014 - certainly one I could sell to the missus as it is close enough to the 40th.

Anyways ahem - good luck with the log oryx!

norseman.jpg

Fuuuuuck thats some jump off the ferry. :) I think it will be a lottery I enter and hope not to win. I'm planning to ask my (as of now unfit) brother to join me. He doesnt know yet.

Oh sweet mama I hurt today. And I had a short s&c set this morning. I thought I was fit. One set of burpees later I knew different.

I hope they were proper burpees - a push-up and a jump up included!!!! ;)

pgibbo wrote: »
    I hope they were proper burpees - a push-up and a jump up included!!!! ;)
    Oh god aye. My coach is a toughie. Everything else I could manage but those accursed things had my heart rate through the roof. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

pgibbo wrote: »
    Best of luck Oryx.

+1 on the not doing it again until I can do it justice. Norseman is on my list also.

.........and mine, looks like a big gang for 2014 so!

I wonder how many of us will get in????

Well my turbo session went well and everyone seemed to work hard and enjoy it. I was delighted with myself. And then I had to go and bork it up. Walking up some steps on the way back to the car I tripped and fell. No major damage but stitches to a bad gash on my knee will slow me down for at least three weeks. I think it's the gods of tri telling me to take some time off!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ouch. Sounds nasty. Hope you're alright.

Maybe JB will get off my back now about my balance issues. :)

• Advertisement

Ouch. Sounds nasty. Hope you're alright.

Maybe JB will get off my back now about my balance issues. :)
    As well as no balance I'm damn clumsy. I've survived well considering. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Away man hoochie6mile hope you are ok. Yes time out now y'hear

Away man hoochie6mile hope you are ok. Yes time out now y'hear
    That's limp shady to you.

Will it leave a cool scar?

Will it leave a cool scar?
    Do dudes dig scars?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Do dudes dig scars?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNOsA4nH8yE

Mind how you go with that knee. I thought I was ready to go back on it after a big bang off a bike, two more weeks and I'll still limping around the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNOsA4nH8yE

Mind how you go with that knee. I thought I was ready to go back on it after a big bang off a bike, two more weeks and I'll still limping around the place.
    Lol. Great clip. Doesn't Mel have big hair?

As injuries go its nothing. The kneecap escaped damage thankfully. Just can't bend it or I'll rip it open again. Lovely. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

So this is where you're hiding out lately. Fancy new digs :D .

Best of luck with the pain. When I read the OP I presumed you meant training pain, smashing your knee in is an unusual way of going about it. Let us know the results of this experiment!

Rest sucks.

That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Rest sucks.

That is all.

Go on the jogging forum and bait the newbies. Kept me sane for a year of injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement