Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A nice easy turbo this morning. Did session E1 from my new book of indoor cycle training. This was the Rolling Hills set. It was solid work but at a nice level.

Club swim this evening. A mix of the usual stuff, I didnt get it all done, not much oomph in my arms today. 2k of a possible 2.5. Better luck next time.

Didn't train yesterday morning because I was fasting.

Went for a run in the evening, oh boy it was cold! Out for about 45 mins, a bit stop start, because of dogs, pedestrians and phone calls, but hey, I was on my feet and moving forwards at least. I'm calling it base work, and my legs did feel it by the end, so not a complete waste of time.

Again, no training this morning. Our cat was killed yesterday, and the kids were still a bit weepy and in need of hugs this morning (and we had the funeral to attend to before school). Hey ho, some things are more important than training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oh Oryx! I am so sorry about your kitty. :( Hugs are definitely more important at this moment. You are a good mom! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Oh Oryx! I am so sorry about your kitty. :( Hugs are definitely more important at this moment. You are a good mom! :)
    Ah, I felt for the kids, they were with their dad when he found the kitty so an awful shock for them. But my little girl, 7 going on 37, told me last night, "Im okay Mom, I'm pretty over it now. But we got to look after him (her older brother) because he is taking it hard" Awwww!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Aww that's so cute!!

Sorry to hear about your kitty.

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Aww that's so cute!!

Sorry to hear about your kitty.
    We still have half a zoo here so plenty to occupy the kids. They're fine now, resilient little buggers :)

Turbo tonight. A speed skills set that looked ok on paper but as it was heavy on the legs everyone said it was the hardest yet. Main set was 3 mins 100rpm 85%, 2mins 80rpm 60-65%, 1min 120rpm 70-75%. Repeated 4 times with 5min rest intervals. Much harder than it looks, your quads burn!

Swim this morning.
    400 wu
    8 x 50 kick
    500 lungbuster (pull)
    2 x400 pull
    250 sd

Short and sharp, no messing around. The kick section was pure hell, my quads were shredded from the turbo, I thought of quitting that section 4 reps in, but copped myself on and finished it out. Would have liked to continue the set with another section which was speed drills but as usual the clock was against me. 2350m 60mins total.

More pain for my quads last night. Another turbo session. This was the rolling hills session I did earlier in the week but this time I was taking my friends through it. My legs did not like it but neither did theirs. :)

Got out for a run this morning. Another cold one. I wasn't up to much till I spotted another runner ahead in the distance so I said I'd see if I could catch them. I had to put some proper effort in but eventually caught up. At which point I really had to suck it up to get ahead and stay ahead! Compounded by the fact that this guy was barely breaking a sweat while my little legs were turning like windmills!

It kept the tempo up for the rest of the run and ended up sprinting home. Best effort I've done in ages. I must be like a greyhound. I don't run well unless I have something to chase. :)

^^^ He must've been cute??? ;)

^^^ He must've been cute??? ;)
    Nah. Bit of a 1661. (Like meself I suppose)

• Advertisement

:confused:
    googling 1661.....

:confused:
    googling 1661.....
    :) Thought you might

A 1661 is someone who looks 16 from behind, but 61 from the front. :p

Oryx wrote: »
    :) Thought you might

A 1661 is someone who looks 16 from behind, but 61 from the front. :p

Ha! I've seen photos of your gorgeous self so I know that's not true!

I'm supposed to do a 2.5 hour bike with a clubmate tomorrow. It's snowing. My clubmate won't care. Bugger.

Well my cycle was postponed to a time that didn't suit me so I've just finished a 2.5 hr turbo. My ass hurts, the ism saddle is like a brick.

It was session E7 from my little red book, Endurance Leg Speed. Basically two and a bit hours of z2 spinning with a 30 sec spin up and 30 sec sprint every five mins. I added an extra one of these at the end to bring up the time. It got both boring and sore in the last 45mins. I'm very glad its done.

Mind that ass. Or maybe someone can mind it for you. ;)

Mind that ass. Or maybe someone can mind it for you. ;)
    There's no reponse I can make to that without sounding lewd...

Swim today. This ended up being short. I didn't eat properly yesterday and had no energy today. (I don't get away with poor diet days anymore). So I made the best of it and did some slow drills and spent ten minutes doing tumble turns, which I'm hopeless at. They were terrible as usual today but sure you got to keep plugging away.

Approx 1600m. Dreadful :)

^^^ psst....I've got a carton of shot bloks I can send you. ;);)

^^^ psst....I've got a carton of shot bloks I can send you. ;);)
    Ah no I still owe you something nice for the last parcel you sent :)

Kettlebells tonight. Went okay. My form is iffy on some moves because I'm not as strong as I used to be but it's coming. Nearly boshed myself doing a get up though. Oops :)

• Advertisement

No swim tonight. Didn't have the heart for it. First session I've ever deliberately missed. But my kids liked it :)

Short run today. Must start wearing my hrm again. This felt hard, and I need to know if it actually was hard! 30 or so minutes, 6 or so kms. (No watch)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Short run today. Must start wearing my hrm again. This felt hard, and I need to know if it actually was hard! 30 or so minutes, 6 or so kms. (No watch)

Training by effort would be better way to get over your funky patch, I'd have thought? If it feels hard when its meant to, will give you better feedback than HR numbers, for the next few weeks.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Training by effort would be better way to get over your funky patch, I'd have thought? If it feels hard when its meant to, will give you better feedback than HR numbers, for the next few weeks.
    My time for this was slow, given how it felt, so what I meant by wearing the hr was to see if the effort is reflected in a high hr. Still waiting to get my bloods back, I'm almost hoping something shows up, or Ill still be scratching my head and wondering wtf.

Wednesday night: turbo with friends.

16 wu
    3 x (4 x :20 spin up, 1:40 ri, 4:00 z2)
    They were finding it too easy so the last few intervals were converted to :30 spin up :30 sprint. That was tougher :)
    Cool down rounded it out to an hour. A nice sociable evenings work!

I've just posted on jb's log, where he is having a tough time getting results lately. Its brought to the fore something thats been on my mind a while.

While I'm much slower than jb, I'm singing off the same songsheet. Another aborted race this weekend (my second dnf, along with a bad result in my last) has me yet again, doing a reality check. In twelve weeks I face one of the hardest IM 70.3 courses on the european IM circuit. I am not ready. I'm not nearly ready. This year has been a staggering, stuttering series of false starts and setbacks. I haven't lost faith that I will get strong enough to get around it at least, I've just lost any interest in logging my litany of issues here. Its boring to read, its soul destroying to write. The SBR challenge is also totally the wrong thing right now, when I need to solve issues and change my training rather than churn out mileage.

tl;dr? This log is not helpful to me right now, so I wont be posting here much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I've just posted on jb's log, where he is having a tough time getting results lately. Its brought to the fore something thats been on my mind a while.

While I'm much slower than jb, I'm singing off the same songsheet. Another aborted race this weekend (my second dnf, along with a bad result in my last) has me yet again, doing a reality check. In twelve weeks I face one of the hardest IM 70.3 courses on the european IM circuit. I am not ready. I'm not nearly ready. This year has been a staggering, stuttering series of false starts and setbacks. I haven't lost faith that I will get strong enough to get around it at least, I've just lost any interest in logging my litany of issues here. Its boring to read, its soul destroying to write. The sbr challenge is totally the wrong thing right now, when I need to solve issues and change my training rather than churn out mileage.

tl;dr? This log is not helpful to me right now, so I wont be posting here much.

Sorry to hear that.

All i can say is that when i've been down and have had very negative days, its been the likes of YOU who have brought me up. Its been the likes of YOU that have made me train the next day and when all was lost ( excuse the pun ) in Kenmare last Sept, it was thinking of the likes of YOU that got me to the end with just the thought of having to write down how the race went and knowing others would read it.

Perhaps its time to step back, rethink, reboot and come back as Oryx 2.0. Whatever you decide good luck with it.

I'm thinking Thelma and Louise, a hair dryer, and some kind of adventure event. Name it baby, and I am there by your side! ;)

(seriously....you're in a funk....it's okay....last year was crazy for you....you'll bounce back for you are one fecking tough IronWoman!)

A hairdryer????

I'll still be training, Ill just wont be blathering on so much here. And I'll let you know how Wimbleball goes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

<dons Janus mask>

Face 1: It's called IronMAN for a reason, grow a set princess.

Face 2: Just take the foot off the gas for a while. Early mornings, kettlebells/swim/spinning/etc classes; you've been working really hard, could well be too hard. Discard your 12-week IM/2, and just keep ticking over until the love comes back. Plenty of shorter races you can enter in the summer, you've loads of time to peak.

Face 3 (mask off): A couple of months back I was in awe of your log and you inspired me to knuckle down to decent training. Don't be too quiet around here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement