Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    <dons Janus mask>

Face 1: It's called IronMAN for a reason, grow a set princess.
    You may be better in some ways, but Ill out MAN you in a dozen different ways any day of the week, sugarplum. <<<ballsy enough for you? :cool:
    Face 2: Just take the foot off the gas for a while. Early mornings, kettlebells/swim/spinning/etc classes; you've been working really hard, could well be too hard. Discard your 12-week IM/2, and just keep ticking over until the love comes back. Plenty of shorter races you can enter in the summer, you've loads of time to peak.
    I will still work hard, but I wont work under any self imposed pressure that isn't helping. HIM stays, it will be what it will be, but I'm doing it.
    Face 3 (mask off): A couple of months back I was in awe of your log and you inspired me to knuckle down to decent training. Don't be too quiet around here.
    I'm not going anywhere. I'm just not going to report my training to the degree I used to because it isn't as good as I want it to be and its a headfcuk to continually say that here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Good luck, also hoping you can find your mojo.

you should stop putting pressure on your self to met certain criteria, or numbers just train when you want and it will happen,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Good to put a face to the Name today.
    Hope you enjoyed it,

Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmEaWxJl7k followed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw
    at least 2 x sets of this for the next day lol

Ceepo wrote: »
    Good to put a face to the Name today.
    Hope you enjoyed it,

Have a look at this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xmEaWxJl7k followed by http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POdzasJklxw
    at least 2 x sets of this for the next day lol
    Thanks for those. I'll do my best to do them all, coach. Good student that I am. :)

Great to meet you too see you at the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kettlebells = great workout. Thanks :)

• Advertisement

Kettlebells = great workout. Thanks :)
    If I didn't do tri, I think I would be a kettlebell fanatic. Glad you enjoyed it.

My bloods came back, I'm healthy as can be. Normal across the board (my mental status was not tested though). In terms of training I would say Im 80% of my usual self and holding steady. Trying to get quality sleep, food and training in that order.

And in order to improve my mojo, I did what all good triathletes do, and spent money. My new toy is a 910xt (which in this mornings frost, did not fog up, so fingers crossed, tunney). It seems to be a wonderful piece of kit, full of buzzers, bells and whistles.

If anyone wants to take my old 405 off my hands let me know!

Garmins when swimming are really, really cool. That is all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Garmins when swimming are really, really cool. That is all. :)

Proof that money can buy you happiness. Good to see you back Oryx, glad it was nothing physical wrong with you and it was all in your mind :)

Proof that money can buy you happiness. Good to see you back Oryx, glad it was nothing physical wrong with you and it was all in your mind :)
    Your concern is noted and appreciated. As is your subtle dig at my mental state. But you have met me so I can't really argue.

Money can't buy happiness but it sure does buy cool gizmos.

At the risk of this beginning to sound like dc rainmaker, I no longer have to do mental arithmetic to work out my hr % and zones when on the turbo cos big G is doing it for me.

So feel free to set me puzzles to stop my brain seizing up.

• Advertisement

Alex and Beth have fallen in love (via the internet) and Alex wishes to mail her a ring. Unfortunately, there's a thief somewhere in the postal system, and anything sent via the mail is certain to be nicked unless it is enclosed in a padlocked box. Alex and Beth each have lots of padlocks, but none to which the other has a key. How can Alex get the ring safely into Beth's hands?

Mail the damn key first?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Get off his arse, go to her and hand it to her himself.

Yeah, if he posts it, she should say no anyway. Unromantic sod.

Anyway. She posts him an open and empty box to which she has the key. He puts ring in box, locks it and sends it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

Have her mail her padlock and then send it with her padlock?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

too simple for this forum :)

anything sent via the mail is certain to be nicked unless it is enclosed in a padlocked box. Alex and Beth each have lots of padlocks, but none to which the other has a key.
    Mail the damn key first?

Certain to be nicked.

20 years ago you'd be right, but this generation just want everything done from their keyboard. Otherwise you're damn right- men, eh? ;)
    Anyway. She posts him an open and empty box to which she has the key. He puts ring in box, locks it and sends it back.

Unlocked box certain to be nicked.
    wfdrun wrote: »
    Have her mail her padlock and then send it with her padlock?

How does he open her padlock to lock his box?

Padlock with a combination lock :)

A to B - Box containing unlocked padlock 1, A keeps key 1, box locked with padlock 2 (to which A has key)
    B gets box, adds padlock 3 (to which she has key), sticks it back in post
    A gets box, takes off padlock 2, puts box (still locked with padlock 3) in post
    B gets box, opens padlock 3, takes out padlock 1, puts in ring, locks box with padlock 1, sends back to A
    A opens box with key 1

RayCun wrote: »
    Padlock with a combination lock :)

A to B - Box containing unlocked padlock 1, A keeps key 1, box locked with padlock 2 (to which A has key)
    B gets box, adds padlock 3 (to which she has key), sticks it back in post
    A gets box, takes off padlock 2, puts box (still locked with padlock 3) in post
    B gets box, opens padlock 3, takes out padlock 1, puts in ring, locks box with padlock 1, sends back to A
    A opens box with key 1

Alex and Beth? Are you calling Alex "B" and Beth "A" in the above scenario?

• Advertisement

She gets son0vagun from AH to dig it up and open it with a shovel?

He uses a courier?

One of them takes a course in lockpicking?

Alan finds out Beth is really a 20 stone black man and calls off the engagement.

Or google the solution, which I just did. My bad.

And thick.

Alex and Beth? Are you calling Alex "B" and Beth "A" in the above scenario?

Beth is a modern woman, she's proposing.
    or
    Beth knows Alex has terrible taste, she bought the ring, she's sending him a photo and a bill
    or
    Beth has had enough of this messing around with padlocks - they only live a few miles away! - and she's calling the whole thing off, sending back the ring

ah, me too. Knew that was too many steps

And thick.

Lazy and thick.;) I thought by changing a few words I would break google, not so.

Alex sends Beth a box with the ring in it and one of his padlocks on it. Upon receipt Beth affixes her own padlock to box and mails it back with both padlocks on it. When Alex gets it he removes his padlock and sends the box back to Beth; voila!

This puzzle came from Caroline Calderbank, young daughter of mathematicians Ingrid Daubechies
    and Rob Calderbank. In the solution she had in mind, Jan sends Maria a box with the ring in
    it and one of his padlocks on it. Upon receipt Maria affixes her own padlock to box and mails it
    back with both padlocks on it. When Jan gets it he removes his padlock and sends the box back to
    Maria; voila! This solution is not just play; the idea is fundamental in Diffie-Hellman key exchange,
    an historic breakthrough in cryptography.
    Depending on one’s assumptions, other solutions are possible as well. My favorite was suggested
    by several persons at the Gathering for Gardner VII: it requires that Jan find a padlock whose key
    has a large hole, or at least a hole which can be sufficiently enlarged by drilling, so that the key can
    be hooked onto a second padlock’s hasp.
    Jan uses this second padlock, with the aforementioned key hooked on its hasp, to lock a small
    empty box which he then sends to Maria. When enough time has passed for it to get there (perhaps
    he awaits an email acknowledgment from Maria) he sends the ring in another box, locked by the
    4first padlock. When Maria gets the ring box, she picks up the whole first box and uses the key
    affixed to it to access her ring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It would have been far quicker and easier for him to just go to her with the ring.

He's obviously an Irish man, rubbish at this stuff you lot.

It would have been far quicker and easier for him to just go to her with the ring.

He's obviously an Irish man, rubbish at this stuff you lot.

Half of Ireland is currently engaged to the same woman in the Ukraine. The other half are sending love letters to Prince Abakaliki Of Nigeria. How else do you think An Post survives in an age of email?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Half of Ireland is currently engaged to the same woman in the Ukraine. The other half are sending love letters to Prince Abakaliki Of Nigeria. How else do you think An Post survives in an age of email?

Wasters, sure theres a girl at the bottom right hand corner of my screen and shes only 3 miles away. Why would you need to bother with the Ukraine!?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

she mails Open padlock

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I Love Lamp

• Advertisement

wfdrun wrote: »

she mails Open padlock

"anything sent via the mail is certain to be nicked unless it is enclosed in a padlocked box"

There's a huge room in the GPO, labelled "Lonely Hearts", full of nicked open padlocks that weren't enclosed in a padlocked box.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement