Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Go on the jogging forum and bait the newbies. Kept me sane for a year of injury.
    Your presuming I'm sane to start with. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Your presuming I'm sane to start with. :)

I once met a lad who showed me his discharge papers from a mental hospital. He said it "proved" he was sane. He asked if I had could show the same. I never presume:)

Swam this morning with a strapped up knee and a pull bouy. It was grand but I never relaxed into it. It will go someway towards keeping me from going nuts anyway. Upper body weights after which was fun and not very hard.

It shook the lethargy off at least.

More swimming! Club session, all backstroke tonight. And I can swim backstroke! Coach was so surprised he nearly fell in the pool. Said he had expected me to struggle. Leg didn't hinder me too much, but it hurts now.

Tomorrow I have to see if I can pedal my bike. Cos I have a turbo session to lead on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I was a backstroker. Just thought you should know that. ;)

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    I was a backstroker. Just thought you should know that. ;)
    I did my first tri swim backstroke. It was that or get rescued. I dont swim it fast, but I was competent at least. For once it was nice not being 'club pleb' at swim class. Yay!

I have a set of non knee related s&c exercises to do every day now. I didnt realise that 45 seconds is such a long time, but it is when youre doing 24kg bent over rows. But at least Im escaping the burpees for now.

Last night I had the group turbo (same one where I came a cropper last week). As noone else was available to lead it, I had to take it, in spite of the fact I wasnt sure if my knee would survive intact.

Strapped it up in metres of tape and hoped for the best. The session went well, everyone seemed to work hard and still enjoy it. Lots of sweat which is a good sign. Got people to use either hr if they had a monitor and knew their percentages, or rpe.

Did 10min w/u then 4x:
    4 min steady (80%)
    2 min hard (90%)
    3.30 min easy (75%)
    .30 sprint

Observations on the above are welcome. I'm trying to learn whats best and cope with multiple ability levels and a lack of equipment. :) The stitches survived, so woo hoo! I can turbo train again!

Swam this morning. Nothing special, as Im taking it easy this month anyway. 1600m, with about half paddle and pull.

My first run session in about two weeks this morning. My knee hurt like fcuk, which I wad surprised about, I didn't think it would affect it badly. Twas nice to get out all the same. Beautiful morning today. Somewhere around 6k. Slowly. :)

Ran ten miles today for no other reason than it was what I fancied doing. Not terribly fast just something to keep the demons at bay. Only other news is woo hoo, I took my stitches out earlier. Am on the mend. :)

Swam this morning. 1550 cos it's still my 'month off'. Quite pleasant really, played with the usual pool toys. Kicking was hard because I haven't been doing it in a few weeks. Did my weights session afterwards, which always feels easy but isn't. Each individual part kills me but there's so much recovery it all feels ok. It's nice to do something completely different for a change.

• Advertisement

Swam this morning. 1550 cos it's still my 'month off'. Quite pleasant really, played with the usual pool toys. Kicking was hard because I haven't been doing it in a few weeks. Did my weights session afterwards, which always feels easy but isn't. Each individual part kills me but there's so much recovery it all feels ok. It's nice to do something completely different for a change.

That was hay bale jumping for me. Better than therapy!!! ;)

More therapy this evening. Kettlebells. Bloody hard session, my arms were shaking by the end. Managed everything except squats and did a few chins afterwards. Swimming will be horrible tomorrow after this but I don't care cos it was really good.

Here you go, darlin'. For your next plank session - it's gotta be rainin' somewhere!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

More therapy this evening. Kettlebells. Bloody hard session, my arms were shaking by the end. Managed everything except squats and did a few chins afterwards. Swimming will be horrible tomorrow after this but I don't care cos it was really good.

^^^^^^^
    This is why you are FIT ;) Good to hear you are on the mend hoochielimpshady :)

Swimming wasn't horrible. I was amazed, my arms were fine.

We did timed sets tonight so this really is my first line in the sand in terms of speed. It was 100m sprint, 5 * 100 sustained then 100m sprint and 50m sprint. For the record, I am slow, mkay?

First sprint was 1.43 (on someone's heels). Next 5 were meant to be off 2.00 but this faded back to 2.05 as I couldn't hold the pace. The second sprint was also 1.43 without following anyone, I'm chuffed with that. Last 50 was done in 50.

Those times are ok for me. But I am puzzled why I found it so hard to hold the sustained pace given it was so much slower then the sprint. Anyway I'm under orders to work at those kind of drills in my own sessions and to work strictly with the clock.

Yawn. I need more sleep.

Last night was turbo, which yet again I ended up leading. (blind leading the blind I reckon) Did 6x 4.30 @80%, 30sec sprint (90%), 2 recovery (65%). Seemed to go well, noone said it was too easy, anyway. My hr was reading high throughout, rpe didnt seem to correspond. I need to test my monitor, either that or somethings up with me, which I doubt.

Swam this morning, just to keep myself familiar with the water; 1350m of mixed drills. Im not taking training seriously this month, I really need the down time. People keep telling me I look better though lol.

My sprint times from Tuesday turned out to be a 4 second pb, I hadnt realised. I keep wondering HOW?

An interesting weekend doing a level one coaching course with TI. I was seriously outgunned by all the high calibre people there, but it was a fantastic learning experience. It was crazily busy trying to fit everything in but we did manage a few practical sessions.

It taught me that I have so much to do in terms of increasing my knowledge base and experience. I need to train with others a lot more than I currently do, you learn so much that way without even trying. And it was a reminder that I can't go on with such poor skills, particularly on the bike. In a twenty minute session today I conquered two skills I've struggled with for ages so it's not that hard.

Hopefully I'll now work on the rest of the criteria I need to get certification. Then spend the necessary YEARS working to become an effective coach. :) The more you learn, the more you realise there is to know.

But in the words of this weekends tutor... HAPPY DAYS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

HAPPY DAYS.

I thought he was great tutor. Lots of knowledge and very enthusiastic.

Well done on taking the first step. I've still got to get all the additional stuff done and sent in to TI but the best thing you can do is jump in and start helping out with sessions as soon as you can. I can see it in myself how I've improved just from putting myself out there and telling people what to do and not hiding behind the senior coach. I think that's a little where the level 1 falls down - it makes you believe almost that you're only good enough to assist and not to actually take the session (irrespective of having a senior coach there to plan and lead). Maybe that was just my perspective though.:D

My club has no coaches as such, which is why I took this on. We have a swim coach who is swim Ireland trained, so apart from him I will have to really branch out and work with athletics coaches or the cycling club to build up in the other areas. The chap I do all my xc and strength work with should be good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

My club has no coaches as such, which is why I took this on. We have a swim coach who is swim Ireland trained, so apart from him I will have to really branch out and work with athletics coaches or the cycling club to build up in the other areas. The chap I do all my xc and strength work with should be good too.

We're the same. Swim coach is SI accredited so I do all my swim coaching with him. I've gotten invovled with a cycling club to push on my cycling and to get a better understanding of the things their coaches do. Running is still a bit of a foreign art to me though and something I need to advance my knowledge in - Other than that lots of reading, listening to podcasts and talking to people to get their advice.

• Advertisement

All strength work today. Two sessions because that's just how it worked out. So my arms and legs and pretty much everything else are burnt out now. We did a few new things today. Sideways pullups and wall walks, and boxing. It was cruel and horrible and I loved it, of course.

Tomorrow is swimming. Can't feckin wait. The pool will seem tiny after the 'where the hell is the wall???' 50m at the weekend.

Swimming. My arms LOVED this.
    Not.

200m progressive warm up.
    30 x 25m off 40.
    100m easy.
    2 x 400 lungbuster w/pull 2, 3, 4, 5 then 3, 4, 5, 6
    100 IM kick
    50m sd

2000m. Actually a really enjoyable hours work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

100 IM kick

Whats that?

Whats that?
    Individual medley. 25 each Butterfly, back, breaststroke, fc, kick only.

And gaaaaah I can't get to the club swim in the morning. Nuts. Nuts. Nuts :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Sounds horrendous.

I remember when they tried to get me to do breast stroke.

Jesus.

Sounds horrendous.

I remember when they tried to get me to do breast stroke.

Jesus.
    It's pretty handy tho I struggle with the breaststroke too. Find that the hardest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

It's pretty handy tho I struggle with the breaststroke too. Find that the hardest.

Harder than fly? I suck at all the other strokes but then its not like we all practice kms at them

Loved the kick. Love the kick. :cool:

Harder than fly? I suck at all the other strokes but then its not like we all practice kms at them
    Strangely yes. It's not a stroke that comes naturally, my coordination sucks and I just cant master the heel first kick.

Turbo last night, which yet again I led. Seemed to go well. First overgeared set. 60 mins.

• Advertisement

Today I was up early (see post above!) and did another 45 min spin on the turbo to ease the pain of missing my swim session. Then did my usual short sharp strength session which Im doing 4 or 5 mornings per week. Its only 15 mins, but it seems to be working. Its horrible anyway, if thats an indicator.

I havent run in aaaaages, and god Im beginning to miss it. Hopefully tomorrow will work out, because I cant train Sunday, Im doing another course as part of the box ticking for the coaching cert.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement