Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Jeez you're keeping busy with training these days. At this rate you'll hit the start of the season in great shape. What are the targets you have in mind? (I know how much you love writing down your targets for everyone to see:D)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Ok mr numbers.
    Target 1. Get muscles. (Pre Christmas amusement plan)
    Target 2. Learn to ride TT bike (long term dont get broke up plan)
    Target 3. Nail a sub 1.30 100m swim tt (fairytales come true plan)
    Target 4. At least a 10% improvement in overall HIM times. (HTFU plan)
    Target 5. Sub 3.30 marathon (long finger plan)
    Target 6. Sub 12.30 IM (2014 plan)
    Target 7. Ultra marathon (Cant-go-hard-go-long plan)
    Target 8. 10k ultra swim (Just cos its there plan)
    Target 9. Eat my own weight in chocolate (the already started plan)

Got a short swim in this evening which made up a little for the missed one this morning. 1K slow and steady working on technique. And getting psyched out by the girl sharing the lane who swam like she was born doing it.

Tired now and it's TOY SHOW tonight. So the kids get to stay up late. Woo. Yay. Yawn.

Xc sprint intervals this morning. 400s with stops between. Could feel my lack of running, this stuff was hard! Had to leave early so only got 7 intervals done instead of 12 which is a pity. But better than nothing or even my usual slow Saturday run. This is my future, lots of lovely speedwork. :)

Nothing yesterday. Had a course to attend. So today I was itching to get out for a run. Did 11k, it was hard at first but enjoyed it by the end. I'm not sharp at the moment though. I've work to do.

Then I did my usual Monday hardbody session which was intense enough. I got a twinge in my shoulder which stopped me doing one of the overhead moves but seemed like nothing much.

And on to this evening for a kettle bell session. Lots more overhead stuff which really aggravated the shoulder. A twinge turned into proper pain. Still, got the class done, minus anything that hurt. :) It's now wrapped in an ice pack. But it will be FINE. It is not allowed to slow me down!

• Advertisement

Swimming. Hard set. I managed 2100 out of 2500. Various bits like kick drills and lungbusters. Two 50m sprints at the end, I came in on 47 and 48. Avoided bf arms but slogged thru everything else without problems. Enjoyed it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    Two 50m sprints at the end, I came in on 47 and 48.

That's a bit of a quantum leap for you, nice one. Your swimming is coming on, well, swimmingly.

Now do 10 of them back-to-back. :)

Kurt Godel wrote: »

That's a bit of a quantum leap for you, nice one. Your swimming is coming on, well, swimmingly.

Now do 10 of them back-to-back. :)
    I'll have to. :) Just need to fix my kick now...

Ran last night. Unlike most here I didnt have a per 100 metre, to the nearest second pacing strategy. I just did like Forrest, and ran. Some day I will do the proper numbers, as per a plan. Maybe. Anyhoo, it was freezing cold and I ran with plank-like stiff legs for the first 15 minutes till I warmed up. Then just held onto whatever pace I could. I feel so out of condition, running wise, its hard to believe I did a marathon just over a month ago, my quads feel like they are full of treacle. 7.6km in 41 mins.

Turbo. Began with single legs, then main set, which was 3 x 6 mins overgeared, 3 mins hard, 2 mins easy. Handy enough. Total session took 56 mins. I like these group sessions. Keeps you honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

What kind of stuff are you doing in your 15 min strength session Oryx? Do you have a link or is it something you have came up with yourself?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What kind of stuff are you doing in your 15 min strength session Oryx? Do you have a link or is it something you have came up with yourself?
    No link for it, my kb coach gave me a loose plan to follow. Its 45 seconds each of stuff like burpees, squat jumps, pushups, squats, bench press, bent over row, sit ups with weights, military press, lunges planks, and other stuff I can't even name :) Though this week with a semi crocked shoulder I can't do half of it.

Swim this morning. Mixed up fc, bc, kick drills and sprints to do a total of 1800m. Tiring enough tbh, I used the pull a bit because my legs were shot from turbo. Trying to build my distance up again though.

Xc sprint training this morning. We actually started on the beach because it wasn't light. But god it was gorgeous there. Shortish sprints up and down the sand, one on one off. Managed 6 and led the group. Woo. Then into the woods for the proper set. 400m hard sprint on a set route then two minute recovery. Did nine of these, but yet again the clock was ticking so I missed the full set. (13)

For the record, today was the first time in 6 months I have felt strong and able to work to my max. I have got so used to feeling below par that today felt amazing. Such a change. Long may it last.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

For the record, today was the first time in 6 months I have felt strong and able to work to my max. I have got so used to feeling below par that today felt amazing. Such a change. Long may it last.

As our American friend might say, you go girl..

Great to hear the mojos back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

No link for it, my kb coach gave me a loose plan to follow. Its 45 seconds each of stuff like burpees, squat jumps, pushups, squats, bench press, bent over row, sit ups with weights, military press, lunges planks, and other stuff I can't even name :) Though this week with a semi crocked shoulder I can't do half of it.

Thanks Oryx, I really need to start adding more of this stuff into my training.

No training today but I did qualify in occupational first aid. So if you ever need resuscitation, I'm your gal!

Got physio on my shoulder today. I love my physio guy. He is gifted at what he does. But sweet mother of loving god can he inflict pain. He had me curled in a little whimpering ball with just a thumb pressed into my shoulder.. I think he is part vulcan. Got about 30% more flexibility in my arm though. Have exercises to work on which should improve things greatly. No weights today at my regular session, just some remedial work to improve the issue. I'm struggling with the whole less is more thing with strength work. It always seems too easy!

Swam this evening as I was told it would be good therapy for the shoulder, yet again kettlebells are off limits. It went grand. Lots of backstroke. And the tri club were in so I got a sneak preview of tomorrow's session. It's gonna hurt. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No training today but I did qualify in occupational first aid. So if you ever need resuscitation, I'm your gal!

Might need it on the 29th after the dip... brrrrr!

• Advertisement

Might need it on the 29th after the dip... brrrrr!
    Different kind of resusc that day. Like a flask of coffee and some spiced rum :)

Did I mention that tonights swim set was gonna hurt? Mmm. Yeah. It really did. It was one of them nights when you just know it's not gonna be fun. I can always tell on the warm-up how I'm gonna go, and tonight it just felt off, taking too much effort.

The hard bit tonight was 4 x 100 all pb effort. So I gave the first one a lash. Got to the end and stared in confusion at the clock. I seemed to have done 1.38, a 5 second pb (9 seconds on my last official tt) Wtf? It was accurate alright, but the sore part was that I had blown completely... My next three 100s I was weak as a kitten and did pathetic times.

I finished the session but never really recovered fully. I still feel rotten :) BUT. I broke thru a milestone, hit an important number. I can't wait to give that kind of set another go on a night I'm feeling strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

It seems you've grown gills....and perhaps a fin. ;) Well done! Wish I were there to give you a slap on the back! :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    It seems you've grown gills....and perhaps a fin. ;) Well done! Wish I were there to give you a slap on the back! :)
    Something has come right. Im not sure if its just stronger arms or a better stroke technique. Still a bit too erratic to cheer about though, the blow up was pretty comprehensive, lol.

Still feel like shoite today, so last nights fatigue is probably because of some kind of bug. More manuka honey required I think!

Wednesday: Total washout, had planned a run, but forgot a meeting I had to attend... No training.

Thursday: Turbo session. I planned the set, but got another guy to lead it. He was very hilarious. Like a cross between a midwife and a life coach. Push it! Push it out! We did intervals, 5 mins each 75, 80, 85, 90% repeated twice. Loads of fun. Though some talked throughout... methinks they didnt hit 90%.... :)

Friday: Early swim. 300 w/u then a mixed bag of backstroke, kicking and lungbuster drills w/pull. Had to do more bs than usual as the damn shoulder was aching. Finished with 6 x50m sprints. Hitting 50 to 55 seconds for these - I was fading for the last few. 30 seconds rest which is prob too much but was sharing a lane with others who were doing slow drills so I had to work around them. 1650 though I did get collared for a chat which stole some time on me.

A bit of catch up needed at the weekend, been a pretty poor few weeks.

Well catch up me ar se. Another best laid plan that didn't quite work out. Did a short run yesterday, it's nuts how slow I've got in a few weeks of very little running. My speed has fallen off a cliff. Actually, falling off cliff would be much faster. 6.5k slower than a slow thing.

Today was meant to be a cycle but my buddy blew me out, and my biking mojo blew out with them. I have no excuse. I am quite simply a wuss. Went out for a long run instead. Legs were heavy from the get go but the out bit was pleasant enough. Coming back was tough though. More hills and a stiff breeze to work against. I was glad to get to the top of the last hill, and a coffee afterwards never tasted so good. 22.5k which redeems me slightly. Gotta cycle more tho.

That's funny - I'm heading out in a bit to do just about the exact number of miles as you. It's a wet, dreary day here and I was out late last night, so the only way I can happily approach this "easy" run is to make it just that -easy. I've got my camelback and a few snacks and I'm thinking of this as an adventure.....and time on my feet. Oh, and hillls will be embraced.

No training yesterday but a long and tiring day nonetheless. Even struggled to get up this morning. Got physio on my shoulder today, and The Vulcan tutted as usual over my lack of flexibility. Apparently my whole upper torso is screwed up. And there was I thinking I was perfect... told him my mother tried for twenty years to correct my round shoulders so good luck to him on that one!

Swim session tonight. Main part was a 750m tt. I managed 15.45, with the first 100 @ 1.47. Not sure what my best time has been for that distance but I've a sneaky feeling that's a pb. And I'd say my rpe was about 80 - 85% (tried to pace so i wouldnt blow up like last week) so I'm happy.

At the end of the set we had a 25m sprint, dive start. I didn't tuck my head and my goggles came clean off. 25m of stingy, blurry fun. I'll remember to tuck next time!

Did you dive from the deck or from the blocks? :D

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Did you dive from the deck or from the blocks? :D
    The deck, you cheeky mare. :p Coach wouldnt put me on the blocks, he might need the fire brigade to get me down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement