Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

For the record, last night's tt was a minute and a half quicker than my previous official time last May. I may still be slow, but I'm catching up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Oryx wrote: »
    For the record, last night's tt was a minute and a half quicker than my previous official time last May. I may still be slow, but I'm catching up.

Nice one. What's got you going faster, is it the coaching?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Nice one. What's got you going faster, is it the coaching?
    The video analysis was a definite turning point, seeing my busted stroke and being shown -visually-how to correct it was a big help. Now, Im sure Ive resumed a lot of flaws, but something is working better. Ive a lot more ground to cover, for sure, but for me, this has been a big leap forward, which tbh, I badly needed at this stage.

The video analysis was a definite turning point, seeing my busted stroke and being shown -visually-how to correct it was a big help. Now, Im sure Ive resumed a lot of flaws, but something is working better. Ive a lot more ground to cover, for sure, but for me, this has been a big leap forward, which tbh, I badly needed at this stage.

The SwimSmooth guys keep on about it being a useful tool, I must see if I can get this done myself. What did you do to improve your stroke? (this is part of the never-ending series of swim Q's...)

The SwimSmooth guys keep on about it being a useful tool, I must see if I can get this done myself. What did you do to improve your stroke? (this is part of the never-ending series of swim Q's...)
    You dont need help, speedy. :p

Arm position, relaxed hands, pushing back rather than down, head angle, various things. I still have to correct my kick, but thats gonna be a long struggle. I was told to get the arms better first, then go back to them.

• Advertisement

Ran this evening, I'm trying to get my training back on track and get more regular sessions in. Its mad how easily you can fall out of the habit. Somewhere over 10k in an hour, and apart from stiff calves it felt good.

Thursday: Did a turbo set on my lonesome as there was no organised session. Instead of doing the planned cad set, I just did 60 mins, 10 w/u, 40 @80% 90 cad, 10 sd. Sounds easy, but somehow, it wasnt. Took a while to settle in and did get easier once I got the hr to stabilise at the right rate.

Friday:Early swim. A mix of stuff. Fc, bc, kicking, double arm bc, sometimes with pull sometimes without. Working on different tips Ive been given to improve technique, seeing what feels best. 1800m. Shoulder was cock today, hence half of this had to be bc to try to get some non painful work in.

Today was supposed to be an early mud run through the forest. At half six I was lying in bed, listening to rain drumming against the windows, wondering if my headtorch was waterproof, when I got a text msg from the coach calling the run off because of the weather. Ive got to admit, there wasn't even the teensiest piece of me that was dissapointed. :)

So after an extra half hour in the bed, I did a turbo session instead. 60 mins: 10 w/u, 10 one leg, then down thru gears, taking longer intervals on/off each rep. I didnt watch hr too closely, but it stayed 75-85% most of the time. That took 30 mins, then 10 cool down. It felt like a good session.

Then did some core work and my shoulder exercises, which are helping my range of motion alright, but not the weird clicking thing it does. It only really affects my swimming, (and of course strength work) but its still a real annoyance.

I have the postponed mud run to look forward to tomorrow. After all the rain, it should be brilliant.

Mud, mud, glorious mud. Eight in the morning and we faced eight miles of squelchy slippy freezing trails, with crotch deep pools to wade through just to keep it interesting. I haven't done a run that difficult underfoot in about a year, it was tough going. My feet still haven't recovered, my toes are killing me! Genius from the coach tho, it was a perfect simulation of hell and back.

Went to the pool afterwards to get a swim in as it will be closed all thru Christmas. They warned me it was a bit warm.. 32 degrees. It was pure bliss, I was chilled from standing around soaking wet after the run. After 1500m of drills, I was toasty.:)

Glad to get a solid days training done, next few days will be sketchy enough.

My feet have thawed out and I think I might have a busted toe. Its twice the size it should be and I can't get my shoe on. Feck. These days it feels like I'm jinxed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

My feet have thawed out and I think I might have a busted toe. Its twice the size it should be and I can't get my shoe on. Feck. These days it feels like I'm jinxed!

:(:mad:
    That sucks. And what's worse, the pool will be closed for the holidays!!!
    Merry Christmas Oryx. I sent you a little something in the mail last week. :D

Thanks a million Dory :) The postman arrived today (he was pleased, he got a Christmas tip) and I got your brill surpise. You're great. :) Thanks thanks thanks and Happy Christmas!

Happy Christmas Oryx!! :D

For the first time ever I went for a run on Christmas day. Not an official one just a blow the cobwebs away one. My toe has settled to a not very painful rainbow of bruising so it didn't bother me. Was a nice blast before stuffing my face.

Other than that I ate and drank too much and of course wore my brand new Xmas pressie tee shirt all day.:)

wore my brand new Xmas pressie tee shirt all day.:)

:D:D:D

Once upon a time (today) Snow white and the seven not so short dwarves went on adventure in the Wicklow mountains. They climbed a very slippy mountain and jumped in a lake. It was not warm. At all. In fact it was bloody freezing. Though some did not appear to feel the cold...
    Then they ran back down again and went to the pub and drank beer which was the whole point.

Snow white is now about to turn into sleeping beauty. Hopefully her great adventure will be repeated. But in Summer!!

The End

I was wrecked this morning so I was glad when my partner in crime bailed on our planned run and dip in the sea (citing injury, another fairytale I think). I am reminded yet again that running hard downhill absolutely wrecks me. I'm walking about like a little old lady today, hips and glutes don't know what hit them. So I went to our too warm pool for a dip. 1100m of drills just to ease out (ya can't do sprints in 29º, it's murder). Back to full scale training warfare from this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Once upon a time (today) Snow white and the seven not so short dwarves went on adventure in the Wicklow mountains. They climbed a very slippy mountain and jumped in a lake. It was not warm. At all. In fact it was bloody freezing. Though some did not appear to feel the cold...
    Then they ran back down again and went to the pub and drank beer which was the whole point.

Snow white is now about to turn into sleeping beauty. Hopefully her great adventure will be repeated. But in Summer!!

The End

Good to meeting you yesterday - hope the training goes well.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,514 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Once upon a time (today) Snow white and the seven not so short dwarves went on adventure in the Wicklow mountains.
    I don't know who is which of the dwarfs, but one thing is for sure, ultraman1 isn't bashful. ;) Nice meeting you yesterday. Best of luck in the Helen Bach!

Oryx, I tip my hat to you on this last day of this year. You've accomplished so much in 2012 and you have oodles to be proud of - you are the queen of the dark side. Happy New Year my dear friend. :)

• Advertisement

Its official. I spent New Years being a miserable cow. A perfect storm of things going wrong had me sitting on my sofa scowling at Jools Holland as he rang in the new year. No Auld Lang Syne for me, 'Stick it up yer arse', I think was what I said. Belated happy new year to all those who remained cheerful during the holiday season.

Now the cloud has lifted and I no longer hate everything. But I would tiptoe quietly around this log, just in case, if I were you. My nearest and dearest doesnt call me Psychotic B!tch for nothing.

Anyway, last night me and Joe Friel got to work on my plan for 2013. Its a complicated business. No taper into A races is evident in his scheduling, and the hours seem ridiculous, and I still havent got into the nitty gritty actual work contained in weekly sessions. But a loose guide is in place. I just need to educate myself a bit more on progressive, targetted workouts, and how to vary each session within each week. I also am dubious about his step back weeks, I didnt really use them last year as Finks plan worked with less of a drop in the recovery week and it wasnt very noticable. But I need a strong plan, and I need to work it out myself, rather than going totally generic, so his framework will be my starting point, anyway.

But I would tiptoe quietly around this log, just in case, if I were you.

Ya moany auld fecker. Snap out of it, new year, new leaf.:)

Ya moany auld fecker. Snap out of it, new year, new leaf.:)
    I'm glad youre a mathematician. Counselling is not your gig. ;)

Anyway Im all sweetness and light. No grumpiness here, no siree.

Been training away like a good thing, got two good sessions in Thursday, run and swim, turbo yesterday, and a yeehaw xc session through the hills chasing men in shorts today (and KG your hill coaching stood me in good stead, no stopping on the steep bits and I caught all but one of the guys).

As my xc coach says, were gonna rip the hole out of 2013 lol.

Tough bike today. Pretty windy for the latter part of it. Forgot food as well but managed to escape bonking. Just. First of many base rides done. 40 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Well done.

I drove from Rosslare to Mullingar yesterday and I'd swear half of Wexford were out on bicycles.

Great to see it!

Productive swim this morning. First solid swim in ages. A mix of drills and sets with some 50m sprints at the end. Shoulder niggled but I shut it up with double arm backstroke. 2250.

Then a short weight session to get advice on what I need to do to train successfully without aggravating the injury (which I'll probably always have a touch of). No real work but a plan to get on with.

Kettlebells. I moved up a weight for most moves tonight. Only the overhead stuff remains at 12kg. Shoulder was grand for everything (I skipped pushups) except plank, which hurt like fook. That might need to be avoided for another while so. Good session. I enjoyed it. Even got laughed at for being too keen. But that's me. Teachers pet.

I'm another year older (but none the wiser) today, so rather than go to work I went for a run. Work is quiet and they can do without me for one day. Nice hilly run on tired legs, just the thing to remind me I'm creaking and ancient. :)

Happy Birthday Queen of the Dark Side!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!
    Creaking and ancient ain't so bad - the alternative is much worse!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D
    And, um, speaking of birthday cake.....since I'm totally off the sweets and love to make myself miserable, tell me, what kind might there be????

• Advertisement

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Queen of the Dark Side!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!
    Creaking and ancient ain't so bad - the alternative is much worse!!!
    :D:D:D:D:D
    And, um, speaking of birthday cake.....since I'm totally off the sweets and love to make myself miserable, tell me, what kind might there be????
    I hear ya on the alternative. :)

If I'm a good girl I hear there may be homemade fresh cream and strawberry cake cos that's my favorite. No candles tho due to the fire hazard. ..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement