Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

happy b-day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Happy n+1 Birthday Snow White,

signed,

Dopey and the gang.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Happy n+1 Birthday Snow White,

signed,

Dopey and the gang.
    I used to be Snow White, but then I drifted... ;)

n+1. I like that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Oryx wrote: »

n+1. I like that. :)

I prefer to think of it as 29+n. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Happy Birthday Oryx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Will they have to invent a new age group;)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Happy b-day Oryx - hope you're kicking back and enjoying the day (after your non-creaky run) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Merry Birthday Oryx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

*hugs*
    Happy birthday cinderellahoochie :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Happy Birthday Oryx. You changed AG with this one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,827 ✭✭✭griffin100

Happy Birthday Oryx. You changed AG with this one? :)

Thanks guys for all the birthday wishes. You've done your bit to help the aged. :)

Swam tonight. After the warm up we had 4 x 50 fc legs, 5 x 75 fc arms, and 10 x 100m which were to be completed +5 or 15secs on your pb time. Naturally I hadn't a hope of maintaining that kind of pace, coming in much closer to two minutes than I would have liked . I only did 6 as I had to leave early to meet my family for Chinese food and cake. It was all very yummy. So ends another bleedin birthday, but it was a good training day at least. If I can keep it up that bugger Time will never catch me. :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Oryx. You changed AG with this one? :)
    Nope that was two years ago :(

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    happy b-day
    Funny edit lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Happy belated birthday hoochie mama.

Took Wednesday as a rest day, I'm struggling with some weird bug thats bringing me out in a rash and making me tired. Ho hum.

Thursday. Coached turbo session. Numbers continue to be low for this class so I may just end up doing these at home. I do like the company and it is easier to work hard with others around, so its a real pity. One hour of one leg drills, and a low cad set.

Friday. Early swim (7am). I hated getting out of bed. I couldnt wake up, even by the time I got onto the pool deck I was still fuzzy headed and cranky. But somehow that mentality worked for me, I didnt feel very sociable so I just nodded my hellos and got in and worked. 2x 500s not done fast, but trying to keep form solid throughout. My shoulder was aching so I was waiting for that to loosen and ease out for most of the first set. Second was easier, trying to concentrate on not entering short, and pushing backwards, I was trying to feel the streamline KG was going on about. Next 500 was with pull, 5 x 100 lungbusters from 2 to 6 strokes per breath. Then another 500 set, and a 250 warmdown. Happy with the volume, its amazing what you can get done in limited time when you dont get sidetracked by chatter. 2250 in 50 mins approx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Took Wednesday as a rest day, I'm struggling with some weird bug thats bringing me out in a rash and making me tired. Ho hum.

Have something very similar myself, wiped out yesterday and itchy. Reckon something the rugrats brought home from school.
    Second was easier, trying to concentrate on not entering short, and pushing backwards, I was trying to feel the streamline KG was going on about. Next 500 was with pull, 5 x 100 lungbusters from 2 to 6 strokes per breath. Then another 500 set, and a 250 warmdown. Happy with the volume, its amazing what you can get done in limited time when you dont get sidetracked by chatter. 2250 in 50 mins approx.

Did you get the streamline? Elliminating as much drag as possible with higher, straighter legs seems to help. What does your swim coach say?

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Have something very similar myself, wiped out yesterday and itchy. Reckon something the rugrats brought home from school.
    Or maybe it was something the sheep left in that lake....

Did you get the streamline? Elliminating as much drag as possible with higher, straighter legs seems to help. What does your swim coach say?
    Not really. I wasnt very sure what I was looking for. I know I swim better if I stretch from my core, but today I was looking at how the whole shebang felt, trying to see what made me glide better, and made the whole thing smoother. Making little adjustments to see.

My swim coach tends not to correct individuals much. Which is why I go for 1 on 1 sessions in b2r from time to time.

Was away for the weekend and under the weather too, so training was minimal. Monday I was travelling and later had to observe a swim set on deck with our main coach, so no training for me. The coaching was really interesting though, and gave a very different perspective to when youre participating in a lesson.

Yesterday, I did the session I'd observed, in our second club swim night. I went in the slower lane due to the numbers that turned up. The set was:
    400m w/u
    5 x 50m f/c drills on 60 (should have been 8)
    4 x50 @ 80% effort on 5 seconds rest
    3 x100 @ 80% effort on 10 seconds rest
    2 x 150 @ 80% effort on 15 seconds rest
    1 x 200 @ 90% effort on 20 seconds rest
    2 x 150 @ 90% effort on 25 seconds rest
    3 x 100 @ 90% effort on 30 seconds rest
    3 x50 @ 100% effort on 5 seconds rest (should have been 4)
    100 sd

2500 total

I LOVED this session. Pyramids are great. I did get caught behind slower swimmers a lot, but still managed to put in good distance (for me) in the time allowed. Plus its an ego boost to lap people all the time, even if being lapped is a better training incentive!

Turbo this morning, while half asleep. Couldnt get my hr up, which means Im probably still a bit under the weather.

Spent ages setting up my tt bike on the turbo last night (its been neglected till now, I needed to get the bobs to fit a few things to it), finally got a computer for it but unfortunately no hr readout (my clever plan to swap the head unit from one bike to the other didnt work, it seems blackburn delphi 3.0 and 5.0 computers are not interchangeable.). But Ill figure something out.

Afterwards I did a short run on the dreadmill, and as usual, was sick as a dog during and after it. I can run all day outdoors, but whatever changes indoors, I end up with a really upset tum, and heartburn. Tis very weird. Must be allergic to the thing. Next time it will be headtorch and brave the elements I think.

Anyone want to buy a treadmill? :p

• Advertisement

Turbo last night, group session, which I led. High cadence set 60 mins in 5 min blocks of increasing hr and cad with a rest break in the middle. I had no hr but even the spinnng was hard! Feedback from the others was good, and they were melting with sweat, so job done there.

Swim this morning. Did a 400 but it was slow, around 8.20 (analogue watch). It did feel slow, one of those days when your hr gets giddy with little effort, so Ill have to try it again. Did hypoxic drills, kicking etc, then a straight swim to finish, where I worked on a clean, effective pull, and staying near the guy in front who usually swims faster than me. 2150

Took a run in the woods today. It was an organised session, but I had to dib out on some of it as we started late. It was a trial run of a Hell and Back stylee xc run. Included was crawling on the ground, wading through freezing ponds, carrying weights up steep banks, and the odd uphill sprint. Halfway through I looked at my watch and realised sh*t! it was 15 minutes till I had to head home and I was a 20 minute run away from my car. Cue a mad dash back, missing a big chunk of the session, which was a pity.

But sure, 7 days out from the race theres little to be gained but confidence anyway.

You have a race in 7 days?

Dory Dory wrote: »
    You have a race in 7 days?
    Yeah this one
    Www.hellandback.ie :)

Yeah this one
    Www.hellandback.ie :)

Looks fabulously delightful!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Spent ages setting up my tt bike on the turbo last night (its been neglected till now, I needed to get the bobs to fit a few things to it), finally got a computer for it but unfortunately no hr readout (my clever plan to swap the head unit from one bike to the other didnt work, it seems blackburn delphi 3.0 and 5.0 computers are not interchangeable.). But Ill figure something out.

Catching up on your log and this just reminded me that I really need to clean the bike so I can set up the turbo...

Very belated birthday greetings young lady :)

Got up late this morning as I kinda knew I wouldn't be up for an early sub zero bike ride. Hopped on the turbo instead, complete with hr, provided by my trusty garmin. I only just realised I can get a hr readout indoors with it. As it happened I struggled to get the rate up, and found it difficult to spin fast in aero position. Teething problems. 100 minutes of roughly 70 - 75% work.

Then went out for a short run off the bike. I wore shorts and didnt bring gloves or a hat for a bit of cold conditioning. Oh my god it was freezing. Flakes of snow falling and everything. Funnily enough once I kept moving I didnt feel it so much, but my hr went through the roof. Over 180 at times, very high for me. A slow, chilly 6k.

Did a good swim today. I have to cover for our coach this week so I swam tonights session. After a 600m w/u, there was a drill section, a 1k swim at 80% then another 900m working on strokes per length. Then swimdown. 3050m. Took me 90 mins. God bless the sharks, they will do this in an hour!

I coached the swim session last night with the sharks and didnt get throttled. I see that as a good thing. I have another to do tonight, with the group I usually swim with, so there will be plenty of abuse thrown here I reckon. :)

Turbo this morning, as I'm missing my normal swim session. On the tt bike again, which I'm not used to at all yet. I feel really stiff and still struggle with the hr even when I'm working like a beeatch. Clearly I'm not working as hard as I think I am/should. God, I sound like tunney.

I would like to do a second session today, but time wont allow, so fingers xd for tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I coached the swim session last night with the sharks and didnt get throttled. I see that as a good thing. I have another to do tonight, with the group I usually swim with, so there will be plenty of abuse thrown here I reckon. :)

Turbo this morning, as I'm missing my normal swim session. On the tt bike again, which I'm not used to at all yet. I feel really stiff and still struggle with the hr even when I'm working like a beeatch. Clearly I'm not working as hard as I think I am/should. God, I sound like tunney.

I would like to do a second session today, but time wont allow, so fingers xd for tomorrow.

Na, you haven't reached that level of bitterness............yet;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement