Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Another coaching session last night. Unexpectedly high numbers meant 14 people in two lanes. Twas mayhem. Somehow, we managed without crashes, but it made going tough for the faster guys particularly. I enjoyed it, but it was proper hard work. To my coaches: Respect!

Turbo again this morning, as there still isn't enough daylight these days to do much else. (The dreadmill can just sod off). Anyway I'm determined to break in my ISM saddle before it breaks me. Right now I'm at that point where it's getting worse before it gets better. But like your fingers when you learn guitar, you've just go to put up with the pain and let everything toughen up! 55 mins @ 70 -75%

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Did you observe or learn much from being on the deck - comparing fast and slower swimmers?

pgibbo wrote: »
    Did you observe or learn much from being on the deck - comparing fast and slower swimmers?
    Absolutely. Our resident IM hero was in on one session, he is a joy to watch, smooth, easy technique, looks like he is just having fun, when he is faster than anyone else, he seems to have a really powerful pull. Most of the faster guys you can see why, they have good technique, with a long stroke and a strong, though not too deep kick. Everyone seems to have their own quirks though, and most have some unevenness somewhere, either in the kick or entry or whatever, between one side and the other. One or two you look and think 'how are you so fast?' :p As you go down through the levels of ability, you see what is slowing each person down, how the technique is suffering, poor positioning, short stroke, over or under rotation. Thats not to take from any of them, most are faster than me! The coach did tell me I would learn so much from it and he was right. Its actually much easier to analyse someone elses technique than to understand whats going on with your own. Lots of food for thought for my own swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Oryx wrote: »
    One or two you look and think 'how are you so fast?'

I'm pretty sure I fall under this heading. Perseverance and stubbornness is the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

At the TT we did before Christmas I watched Tango and Bambatta closely when they were swimming fast times (especially Tango). On the surface they seem to be swimming and stroking the same as the rest of us, or the way I imagine I'm stroking. However looking at them underwater gave a different perspective. What was really apparent was the way they seemed to be driving their stroke from their hips (if that makes sense). You could almost see the power transfer from the hips to the upper body. Was a real eye opener.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    At the TT we did before Christmas I watched Tango and Bambatta closely when they were swimming fast times (especially Tango). On the surface they seem to be swimming and stroking the same as the rest of us, or the way I imagine I'm stroking. However looking at them underwater gave a different perspective. What was really apparent was the way they seemed to be driving their stroke from their hips (if that makes sense). You could almost see the power transfer from the hips to the upper body. Was a real eye opener.
    Any strong swimmers Ive watched, that last part of the pull down towards the hip is like Pow! a sharp hard snap, rather than the likes of me, where its an 'oh my god my poor arms get em out now' effort. Cant say Ive noticed the hip action but Ill be looking for that now.

I did a short run this morning, under a half hour, just to remind the legs how to do it, so Im not too wobbly on Sunday. Turbo later today, which is not ideal pre race, but its not like its a priority race anyway, so I'll suck it up. Tonights session is being led by our cycling superstar, and I'm looking forward to seeing his version of suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I think Griffin is referring to the roll of the shoulders that creates a stretch and slight roll from the hips. Correct me if I'm wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

You're probably right Dory. When i was looking at their movement / rotation through their hips and arms i could really see the power transfer.

Thursday pm
    Turbo class. Led by a.n. other from the club. (Not our cyclist guy, as it happened) A relatively easy set, mostly below 80% with a few short bursts above LT. 60 mins. I did not suffer. Unless you count sitting on the ISM, which is still in the Horribly Uncomfortable category.

Friday am
    Uncoached swim set. Did 500 w/u, 300 kicking (most with snorkel, did ordinary and 'tombstone' drill with kickboard, and streamline), 500 hypoxic with pull, 2,3,4,5,6. Harder than other weeks, possibly just cos I was thinking more about my stroke than a relaxed breathing rhythm. Last 700 was a straight swim, but I spent the time thinking on my technique (catch) golf score (abysmal and I cant seem to reduce it) and the hip motion that has been mentioned in these parts this week. The changes I tried felt awkward and strange, but the hip rotation did seem more streamlined. Or something. 55 mins or so. And I just wanted to go straight back and do more work. My swim is frustrating me at the moment.

Today's race did not go well.

I may need a break from all this.

• Advertisement

You know, we all just really need to keep things in perspective. (Drinking wine at the moment while watching Bridesmaids - hilarious movie....really.....and I'm such a lightweight when it comes to alcohol for so many reasons...) But back to you.....and perspective. Did you have fun?? Did you allow yourself to say "feck it, I'm just gonna have fun"? Because we all need to allow ourselves to do that along the way. I just think you're awesome for going out there and getting in the game. :)

I tried to have fun, but this decrepit body, which hasn't felt truly ok in six months, said nah. I'm not running like me these days and it isnt really fun anymore. Need to take stock and change something.

Fair enough then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I tried to have fun, but this decrepit body, which hasn't felt truly ok in six months, said nah. I'm not running like me these days and it isnt really fun anymore. Need to take stock and change something.

No point in doing a mickey mouse race if you're not smiling throughout it (a lá Dory). It's a miserable time of the year for running; focus on the pool or bike for a bit maybe? If you're going to be crap at something, may as well enjoy yourself while being crap at it;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »

No point in doing a mickey mouse race if you're not smiling throughout it (a lá Dory). It's a miserable time of the year for running; focus on the pool or bike for a bit maybe? If you're going to be crap at something, may as well enjoy yourself while being crap at it;)
    Havent run that bad in, well, ,ever. Was smiling for 4k then I didnt smile anymore! Just a bad day at the office... but I do think I need time off.

You seem to enjoy coaching.....;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭handangeo

Today's race did not go well.

I may need a break from all this.

Hey Ironman??

Come on thats not like you?

handangeo wrote: »

Hey Ironman??

Come on thats not like you?
    Yeah I know.

Ignore me till I start talking sense again. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Sorry to hear you are feeling like this oryx. Surely fatigue from all this is totally normal. A little break for yourself might be a good idea. Just remember your training and committment to triathlon is inspiring to lots of us women folk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I know its a good 6 months on but really do not under estimate how much of a toll your first IM places on the body. I cannot recall if you took any time off at all after it, i mean "time off" as in doing nothing at all? I would go completely off piste and do something completely different/enjoyable and get that mojo back.
    Or it could have been just as simple as an off day, we all have those from time to time.

Oh and HTFU princess this is not the tough Oryx we all know and have grown to adore:)

• Advertisement

Ah gee you guys.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Think of something you loved to do when you were a kid and immerse yourself in the idea of it until you do it and feel the simple happiness again. I had a rubbish race at the weekend and someone caught the ugliest pic of me I've ever seen!! Sometimes its just not our moment to shine! :)

Think of something you loved to do when you were a kid and immerse yourself in the idea of it until you do it and feel the simple happiness again. I had a rubbish race at the weekend and someone caught the ugliest pic of me I've ever seen!! Sometimes its just not our moment to shine! :)
    I darent look for pictures!

Right. Tomorrow I'm off to the playground. I love swings. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Yeah I know.

Ignore me till I start talking sense again. :)

that's better. don't make me come back in here ;-)

Well things didnt work out and I havent done any swinging since I last posted, unfortunately. I live in hope though.

And my mood these days can be summed up best by this site which was linked to me by a friend who knows me well. :)

Following on from Hell and back, (my own personal race from hell), Ive had an easy week. Two swim sessions on Monday and Tuesday, and nothing at all yesterday. I realise that in terms of training, I'm at the point that has been described to me as 'overreaching' (thanks mcos) and in spite of the looming race season, I need to kick back a bit, and not do much. I cant plow into a hard plan feeling like this. It kinda suits, because I have a lot of TI and 'life' stuff to deal with anyway.

Ya know, running is easier than dealing with everyday life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Well things didnt work out and I havent done any swinging since I last posted, unfortunately. I live in hope though.

:eek::rolleyes:;) I think I see your problem.....................

RedB wrote: »

:eek::rolleyes:;) I think I see your problem.....................
    Now that says more about your mind than mine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Now that says more about your mind than mine ;)

He's not the only one who did a double-take:pac:

RayCun wrote: »

He's not the only one who did a double-take:pac:
    Ah sorry. I couldnt resist (the pun, not the swinging)

Turbo last night, a hard but fun session which mimicked a hilly bike route. Few turning up for these so theyll probably come to an end soon. Pity.

• Advertisement

Well, after dragging myself out of bed this morning and heading to the pool quite uninspired about my swim, I ended up doing a good set.

It was planned in advance and written on my groovy waterproof noteboard (a gift from a kind swim buddy) which really helped with getting stuck in straight away.

200 swim
    50 fist
    50 kick
    2 x400 fc pull (40 rest)
    4 x 200 fc (20 rest)
    5 x 100 fc (10 rest) (should have been 8 but out of time)
    100 sd

Got to say I really enjoyed this, as the reps get shorter, it just seems to fly by. And for me to manage 2500 in 57 minutes is something - I couldnt do that last year. I was trying to figure out things about my stroke today, and my catch has not been right at all, I seemed to master it a bit better today, and it made the whole pull part of the stroke more effective. Tiring on the arms though. I didnt feel very 'at one' with the water and had to work hard all the way, but it did feel like I was getting somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement