Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Till the lights go out

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

menoscemo wrote: »
    You are assuming that the weighing scales are a balance, I think we are assuming they are an electronic type scale and not weighing one thing against another

My answer is
    2. Weigh one set of coins. Weigh another. If one is heavier than the other it is the fake. If you get unlucky you require more weighings but it is possible to do it with 2 weighings if you are lucky.

:D This is akin to saying you just need one ticket to win the lottery, so the permutations of the numbers don't come into it. In any case, its not the correct answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I like Oryx answer. Requires some mental calculations too, but I like it :)

Discounted popular answer;

5 weighings. Call the stacks a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j.

1st weighing a,b,c
    2nd weighing d,e,f
    3rd weighing g,h,i

If all are equal you know that stack j must be counterfeit. However, if one of the weighings is greater than the other two (say a,b,c is heavier);

4th weighing a
    5th weighing b
    If one is heavier than the other, that's the counterfeit stack. If they are equal, c is the counterfeit.
    Total 5 weighings.

But there is a way to do it with less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    :D This is akin to saying you just need one ticket to win the lottery, so the permutations of the numbers don't come into it. In any case, its not the correct answer.

:mad:
    But you said this:
    What is the smallest number of weighings needed to tell which stack is counterfeit?

Otherwise I think Oryx is right

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

BTH wrote: »
    I like Oryx answer. Requires some mental calculations too, but I like it :)
    Prob not right tho.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

:rolleyes:

Right back at ya my friend.

i removed the sigh bit from my post as it was a bit ott. but my method was never doing any more weighs than i claimed to be doing, no matter how many times you claimed it was. hence the exasperation

Oryx wrote: »
    1, 2:Weigh two sets of four, use lighter weight /4 to give weight of one stack
    If both stacks equal weight the heavy stack is in neither
    if one is heavier, 3 weigh two stacks from this (together), to decide where your heavy stack is.
    Of the final two, 4 weigh one, and bobs your uncle.

Brilliant answer! Don't you love the sound of cogs turning?

Unfortunately, while correct, it can be done (with certainty!) with less weighings;)

i reckon it can be done in
    3, using similar method than i used before but plaving all on then taking half off to see which half is heavier. it does require maths to see what a normal one weighs

but i'm running out the door now and don't have time to write the answer, suggestion as to how in teh spoiler, but don;t have time to write it out..someone will have it by time i get back

Brilliant answer! Don't you love the sound of cogs turning?

Unfortunately, while correct, it can be done (with certainty!) with less weighings;)

Do I know in advance what the weight of a stack should be??

:mad:

Take your semantics and cram 'em:D
    If I bet you €1,000 that I could beat Gebrselassie at the Berlin marathon, would you pay up when I showed you photos of me giving him a knuckle sandwich?;)

• Advertisement

Do I know in advance what the weight of a stack should be??

Nope, only that a counterfeit coin is a gram heavier than a true one.

I just know the proper solution is going to make me go Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Take your semantics and cram 'em:D
    If I bet you €1,000 that I could beat Gebrselassie at the Berlin marathon, would you pay up when I showed you photos of me giving him a knuckle sandwich?;)

I bet you €1k That I already did beat Gebreselaisse at the Berlin marathon.
    He dropped out

I bet you €1k That I already did beat Gebreselaisse at the Berlin marathon.
    He dropped out

Does that mean CL and Digs beat you??

mossym wrote: »
    i reckon it can be done in
    3, using similar method than i used before but plaving all on then taking half off to see which half is heavier. it does require maths to see what a normal one weighs

but i'm running out the door now and don't have time to write the answer, suggestion as to how in teh spoiler, but don;t have time to write it out..someone will have it by time i get back

I think I get what you're saying... but essentially that's more than one weighing. Otherwise, I could take my kids to those coin-operated weighing scales in Pharmacies, deposit my coin, weigh myself, then get Child 1 to hop on Pop, weigh us both (Total-Pop=Child1), then have Child2 grap onto my ears and jump up... that's three weighings;)

In any case, its incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

WTF has this tough girl log morphed into?! One time, at band camp....

I think I get what you're saying... but essentially that's more than one weighing. Otherwise, I could take my kids to those coin-operated weighing scales in Pharmacies, deposit my coin, weigh myself, then get Child 1 to hop on Pop, weigh us both (Total-Pop=Child1), then have Child2 grap onto my ears and jump up... that's three weighings;)

In any case, its incorrect.

Yeah I was counting the weigh when I took 5 off as a second weight, but still thought I could do it in three, to get a definite answer I need 4 though. Back to the drawing board.

Good question. Surprised no one has googled yet

WTF has this tough girl log morphed into?! One time, at band camp....
    I know the correct answer is one. I know it and I know KG will come along all smug with a ten line calculation to prove it and I still wont understand it.

I also wish I knew where the tough girl was gone, though.

A short one today, go up late, I have no excuses to offer, I was tired. A sluggish 5k is all. My legs are feeling the lack of running, I guess, plus, holy cow they hurt from mondays kb session. This is what happens when you dont do it for a month... But I have turbo later anyway, which should shake me up a bit.

I know the correct answer is one. I know it and I know KG will come along all smug with a ten line calculation to prove it and I still wont understand it.

Awww- I know you googled that, coz I changed the question slightly;) Anyway, kudos for being closest with your method, and apologies for the hijack, back to tough barbie training!
    Since we don't know the weight of a true coin, the correct answer is two. As follows:

(For clarity I will label the stacks 1,2,3,...,9,10).

First weighing: Place all of the stacks on the scales (keeping note of each stack). This might be any number, but for simplicity say the total weight is 1,010grams. You know the counterfeit stack adds 10g, so 100 true coins would weigh 1,000g, and one true coin weighs 10g.

Second weighing: Next, place on the scale
    one coin from stack#1, two from stack#2, 3 from stack#3, etc. up to
    all ten from stack#j. Had there been no counterfeit coins, the scale
    would read (1+2+3+4+5+6+7+8+9+10)x10 = 55 x 10 = 550 grams. If the
    counterfeit coins are in stack#1, the weight will be 551 grams, since
    only one coin from stack#1 is included and the counterfeit coin weighs
    1 gram more than the genuine coin. If the counterfeit coins are in
    stack#2, the weight will be 552, since two coins from stack#2 are
    included. In general, the weight should be 550 + N grams and N will be
    the number of the stack containing the counterfeit coins!:)

Yeah, I figured your method had to be two, but knowing you, youd come up with some devious way of still doing it with one. Challenge to you, mathematician: can that be done with your version of the puzzle?

• Advertisement

Yeah, I figured your method had to be two, but knowing you, youd come up with some devious way of still doing it with one. Challenge to you, mathematician: can that be done with your version of the puzzle?

Hats off to anyone who can do it in one! Without knowing the weight of a true coin, I don't think it can (you need to know the comparison weights between the true and counterfeit).

No mathmatics tonight but plenty of numbers. I did a truncated version of a turbo set that mimics one lap of the wimbleball 70.3 course. It starts with a 9 minute 60 cad hill climb and continues in that vein for fifty minutes. Lots of ups, downs, cadence and effort changes. It was hard but really good. 60 minutes including warm up and cool down. The full set goes on for nearly two hours and I hope to get to it soon.

Swim this morning. Some days are diamonds, but this one was definitely a stone. I felt heavy, tired and sluggish. My legs were in knots from last nights turbo. And to make it worse, a club mate in the next lane kept stopping at the end and saying out loud what I was thinking: 'I should have stayed in bed' 'Today is not a good day' 'I shouldnt have come' STFU man, youre making me worse! :)

400 wu
    6 x50 kick
    500 drills w pull
    400 lungbuster
    400 fc focus on catch

2000m 60 mins. Really off pace, but glad I got a reasonable set done in spite of wanting to give up after the wu.

My sbr totals are way down on last year so far
    Swim 38 vs 39.5
    Bike 530 vs 740
    Run 120 vs 200
    but I guess that's understandable, for one, Im not on an IM plan and for another, its been a struggle so far this year. At least anything Ive done has been quality work, and this week is better, so hopefully I'll continue to improve and get back on track, cos a hilly 70.3 beckons!

So far this year, I have entered:
    Wimbleball HIM (mid June)
    BOTE (mid July)
    Vitruvian HIM (late August)

And on the 'possibly' list:
    Athy Oly (early June)
    Shadowman HIM (August)

I'm listing them for motivation, so on days like today I remind myself where I need to be. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

So far this year, I have entered:
    Wimbleball HIM (mid June)
    BOTE (mid July)
    Vitruvian HIM (late August)

And on the 'possibly' list:
    Athy Oly (early June)
    Shadowman HIM (August)

I'm listing them for motivation, so on days like today I remind myself where I need to be. :)

Some tasty ones there - will be interested to see how the Shadowman event(s) work out.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy turbo set tonight. I was introducing two friends to the joy of the static bike so it was more about them than me. Neither had computers or hrms or even cleats, just straps, so we did steady effort, spin ups and little sprint intervals. I was trying not to load their legs too much, and we did plenty of recovery. A grand little leg loosener.

Ran this morning. It was slow. 11k in an hour. But that did involve stopping once to chat and again to deal with a wardrobe malfunction. But still its disheartening to be so sluggish. I have to remind myself that this is a rebuilding exercise and that I've got to take the steps one at a time. As usual by the last quarter I had settled into a nice groove and had picked up the pace. It was better than Thursdays run at any rate.

I got bullied into chatting to a doctor (husband of a friend) today, and I've got to admit, it was what I should have done ages ago (but I'm doctor phobic, what can I say?). Got to the cause of an allergic reaction Ive suffered with for the last two months in oh, two seconds flat. Im also getting full bloods done to see why Im so off form these days. My faith in the medical profession is still shaky, but I have a lot of time for this guy.

Busy day today. Got out early for a gentle ten miler, but this got interrupted when I came upon the leftover flotsam from a house burglary strewn all over the road, clearly the thieves had no need for passports and bank books and had ditched them. Being a model citizen I collected it all up, tracked down the owner and got them back to him. It was all very exciting. Continued on my run, feeling all warm and fuzzy.

Went for a swim later where I was trying to encourage a reluctant hero into swimming, as part of coaching practice. Did about 1500 but this was very stop start, only got going once my coaching guinea pig had left.

Physically I feel so much better since my friends intervention yesterday. (They even gave me the medicine I need) so it was lovely that I got to do a bit of paying it forward on the good deeds front today.

• Advertisement

Took an easy day yesterday. Well, I say easy, I did a mahoosive amount of domestic maintenance that's needed doing for a while. Me and the washing machine never stopped all day. My motivation has suddenly come back from the wilderness.

Got out to kettlebells last night, and enjoyed the set. Sometimes you just get into a calm headspace where you forget everything but the work. Even though you're working hard, its almost relaxing. Body felt strong and I managed it all, including a 2min 40 plank. I'm enjoying this renewed me.

I have fasting blood tests tomorrow. I even got a phone call to book the appointment, cos well, I might have just forgotten.... I wasn't let forget. I love my friends. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement