Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sewing a mens tshirt

• 06-11-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭

hey have started an adventure of making my own t's
    currently just using ikea fabric for a few trial runs...

im happy enough with sewing machine skills (cant tamper but should be ok)

one thing i cant figure out is an easy neckline...how do you get the curve?
    im just going to use vnecks for the moment so i can get my head into it!

just hoping someone has conquered DIY t's and has a few words of advise!

tanks folks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Hopefully someone else can try figure out what I mean, but I've seen necklines being done with ... it's like cotton on a roll like ribbon but not actual shiny ribbon (gone braindead), can't think of the word so can't find the tutorial, it's usually for like hems afaik instead of like lace, just gives it a border. Anyway it seemed the easiest way to make a round neckline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,921 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I think you are talking about bias binding Sera. You could cut your own bias binding but it depends on what kind of fabric you are using.

If it is knit fabric then a strip cut across the width of the fabric should have enough stretch to roll, if it is rigid fabric (woven rather than knitted) you have to cut diagonally which can cut into a lot of fabric, so you need to check up a you tube video for 'making bias binding'.

The stuff you buy isn't very strong and doesn't look good for places where it will show.

Or you can 'face' the edge. You cut a piece of garment the same shape as the neckline and about 8 cm deep, stitch it on, snip the edge then turn it to the inside.

This video shows a sleeve edge but the method is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭teddansonswig

thanks for the help guys! much appreciated

i love Judith she has been a great help!

i found this link which was a start http://www.craftstylish.com/item/8413/how-to-sew-a-classic-t-shirt-neckband
    still cant manage to get the measurements just right , every time i reduce by .15 i cant get my head into it, but I have since completed 2 t's that im happy enough with! now to see if they survive the washing machine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭xtinataguba

the video is totally helpful! Im also fond of sawing this days.

Advertisement