Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED Rope Lights

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anyone know where to get the best deals on LED Outdoor Rope Lights.

Looking for 50 to 100 metres.

Thanks,

Mike.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Mike.

Any good electrical wholesalers can get it for you.

Michael Garry Wholesalers in Finglas do these in various lengths.:)

http://michaelgarryltd.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Fantasy Lights in Walkinstown are good for that kind of stuff

http://fantasylightsgroup.ie

Crocked wrote: »
    Fantasy Lights in Walkinstown are good for that kind of stuff

http://fantasylightsgroup.ie

Oohh,its all sparkly.:D

Thanks for that link.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 WhiteNoSugar

Mike2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

Mike.

Save yourself some trouble messing about with drivers and get the 220v mains stuff.

http://www.ledbulbs.ie/led-strip-lighting/220v-ac-led-flexible-strip.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Save yourself some trouble messing about with drivers and get the 220v mains stuff.

http://www.ledbulbs.ie/led-strip-lighting/220v-ac-led-flexible-strip.html

The adavtage with the 12 volt LEDs is "freedom" that it gives the installer because the safety issues do not exist as they do for a 230VAC circuit.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    The advantage with the 12 volt LEDs is "freedom" that it gives the installer because the safety issues do not exist as they do for a 230VAC circuit.

Fair enough - but it depends on the application. If it's going into coving or some other "out of the way" architectural lighting location where no-ones going to touch it then you have to weigh up the cost benefit between replacing 220v fiber optic or fluorescent tubes with a more efficient 220v product without the need for fitting a new driver every 20m or so as you have to do with 12v strip.

Conversely if the strip is going under a bar plinth or reception desk or something where people/kids can touch it you want to go with the safest possible 12v stuff.

Given the length required and the time of year I assumed it's for some kind of outdoor X-Mas decorative lighting and the 220v stuff is pretty good for that as you can run it long distances (between lampposts etc..) without the need for a driver.

So yeah, fair point Mod - can't overlook the safety aspect either.

Fair enough - but it depends on the application. If it's going into coving or some other "out of the way" architectural lighting location where no-ones going to touch it then you have to weigh up the cost benefit between replacing 220v fiber optic or fluorescent tubes with a more efficient 220v product without the need for fitting a new driver every 20m or so as you have to do with 12v strip.

Conversely if the strip is going under a bar plinth or reception desk or something where people/kids can touch it you want to go with the safest possible 12v stuff.

Given the length required and the time of year I assumed it's for some kind of outdoor X-Mas decorative lighting and the 220v stuff is pretty good for that as you can run it long distances (between lampposts etc..) without the need for a driver.

So yeah, fair point Mod - can't overlook the safety aspect either.

12 euro in Lidl.:D

paddy147 wrote: »
    12 euro in Lidl.:D

Bloody hell.. that's a bargain alright. Is that little transformer powering the rope light or the christmas lights or both, Paddy?

Bloody hell.. that's a bargain alright. Is that little transformer powering the rope light or the christmas lights or both, Paddy?

Traffo and 10 meter lead on the 200 led lights.

Mains wired straight from plug to start of rope light..with thwe rope light.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Fair enough - but it depends on the application.
    I agree.
    I am not suggesting that 230V LEDs are not good, I have some LED GU10 lamps in my own home that I am very happy with.

I just wanted to show that 12V LEDs have some advantages.
    If it's going into coving or some other "out of the way" architectural lighting location where no-ones going to touch it then you have to weigh up the cost benefit between replacing 220v fiber optic or fluorescent tubes with a more efficient 220v product without the need for fitting a new driver every 20m or so as you have to do with 12v strip.

I bought an LED driver recently for €14 including VAT. I probably saved that on the cabling as I could use left over speaker cable. This cable has the added advantage that it is very discrete.

If a single driver can supply 20m of LEDs that is plenty for my whole house.

I used mains voltage rope light many moons ago and long lengths were a no no as the current would exceed the maximum rating of the rope light itself.
    Perhaps this has changed now with more efficient LEDs that require a lower current.

• Advertisement

I used mains voltage rope light many moons ago and long lengths were a no no as the current would exceed the maximum rating of the rope light itself.
    Perhaps this has changed now with more efficient LEDs that require a lower current.

Yeah, it's gone up a fair bit lately. We specced a job in the UK a couple of months ago and we could run 100m of 220V LED strip from one plug. Just 2.2W/m stuff though, and the limit for the RGB strip is 50m.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

Yeah, it's gone up a fair bit lately. We specced a job in the UK a couple of months ago and we could run 100m of 220V LED strip from one plug. Just 2.2W/m stuff though, and the limit for the RGB strip is 50m.
    You can run up to 200meters

ledbulb wrote: »
    You can run up to 200meters

200m would be a lot to put on one circuit in my opinion. I am saying this from the point of view that if the circuit failed too much lighting may be lost due to a single failure.

200m would be a lot to put on one circuit in my opinion. I am saying this from the point of view that if the circuit failed too much lighting would be lost due to a single failure.

...waits for the looming "sales pitch"..again.;):pac:

This forum is not here to:

1) Advertise / sell particular products.
    2) Facilitate some sort of a b!tching session.

Anymore of either and people will be banned.

If anyone has any helpful advice for the OP (not a sales pitch) feel free to PM me and I will unlock this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement