Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest AGP graphics for 1080p

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭

Hello everyone

Am looking for the cheapest AGP graphics card available for 1080p video playback. Preferably silent, passively cooled.

Have an old computer want to turn into a media centre. For use with XBMC mainly. Some internet usage. Online video. AVI video files, MKV, etc etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

AMD HD4670 would probably be the best AGP card you could get.
    If it has to be completely silent then something like an AMD HD3450 would do for half the price of the 4670.

Ideally you'd want to get a card with HDMI out as it makes setting up to a TV much easier than DisplayPort/DVI/VGA + Audio cables

Next problem is finding one of these for sale....

• Registered Users Posts: 11 badboll11

hi,

i would recommend these two......
    Both support full HDMI thugh DVI adapter-> HDMI

PowerColor Radeon HD3450 512MB : Price about 40 euros

Sapphire Radeon HD3650 Lite DDR2 512MB: Price about 55 euros

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

The thing with DVI to HDMI adapter is it won't carry audio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 badboll11

yeah right forgot that. it wont carry audio.
    but an extra cable won't hurt...:D

the hing is to have a nice AGP card..(hard to find it today)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

This might help you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭-( i )- Wicker

My card came with a dvi-hdmi adaptor and it carries audio. Im not saying that all do but its worth investigating

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dazbaz996

Radeon hd5450 can't be beat and is a favourite amongst htpc users...
    Sorry, just read you were looking for agp... hd5450 is pcie...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

My card came with a dvi-hdmi adaptor and it carries audio. Im not saying that all do but its worth investigating

The AMD DVI adaptor does carry audio, however I don't think the HDMI audio chip is on the AGP versions of the cards at all, because AFAIK the solutions rely on some PCIe bus trickery to get the sound data from the motherboard to the card in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

OP you would be better off just buying a new motherboard n cpu and getting a cheap pci express card.

maplin do upgrade bundle packs where u get ram cpu motherboard and a gcard for a few hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭illicit007

OP you would be better off just buying a new motherboard n cpu and getting a cheap pci express card.

maplin do upgrade bundle packs where u get ram cpu motherboard and a gcard for a few hundred

Or I could get a Radeon HD3450 512MB : Price about 40 euros :p

and save myself a few hundred euros and put this computer to good use as a media server. ;)

Later ideally I'll upgrade to a mini-itx AMD Fusion motherboard with built in processor and graphics with fanless silent heatsink running at about 18 watts idle and about 40 watts load for a few hundred. (at that stage I'll give this wee media center away to a friend or family member as a gift and they'll be more than happy with it I'm sure)

Something like this would be awesome
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-E45M1-I-On-Board-Fusion-Motherboard/dp/B005T3TKGS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1353515881&sr=8-5

With the smallest cheapest SSD drive and a mini-itx case with a built in PSU including delivery came to about €350 :D

• Advertisement

Serephucus wrote: »
    This might help you.

Thanks dude I know of Adverts already :rolleyes:

*thumbs up anyway though* ;)

dazbaz996 wrote: »
    Radeon hd5450 can't be beat and is a favourite amongst htpc users...
    Sorry, just read you were looking for agp... hd5450 is pcie...

thanks anyway :)

Advertisement