Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ideas for winter planting on grave

Options
  • 06-11-2012 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

im looking for suggestions on planting up a grave. it thrived over the summer but is looking bare now. i have some heather fern and cyclamen which are not doing so well and have planted lots of spring bulbs, but they are being pulled up. any other ideas for some winter colour- i know its a grave but i hate seeing it look so forlorn. thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,461 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cyclamen should do well and be very easy, also winter heathers. Ferns would need to be in a shady, damp place. You maybe haven't planted the bulbs deep enough. If you plant them in a clump then put a piece of mesh over them and 'peg' it down with wire it discourages squirrels and birds from digging them up.

What does the soil look like? Its possible that when the soil was replaced on the grave the subsoil ended up on top. Suggest you get a couple of bags of top soil for where you want to plant the flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Fleetwoodmac

thanks for suggestions- i have heather fern and cyclamen but the latter seems to be rotting. other two doing well. i think your right about the bulbs and will try putting mesh down. we put several bags of topspoil mixed with our own compost and in the summer everything thrived( a bit too much actually) . all summer flowering plants are up and im overwintering at home but wondered about other smallish plants for winter. thanks again for reading

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I have seen skimmia rubella being sold in 9cm pots as bedding this year. A few of those and a small fatsia may work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

I thought about doing the same thing on a grave beneath a few trees. It is shady in summer, but spring bulbs such as daffs, bluebells and snowdrops should thrive there.

Advertisement