Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken appliance repair?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

The washing machine in my shared town house broke four weeks ago. I've repeatedly (twice a week) been in contact with the letting agency about the issue, and on every occasion I have been promised a technician visit. As of now, it has been 26 days since I first reported the issue.

Beyond a handyman calling by to record the make and model of the washing machine, there's been no actual call out. The appliance wasn't even inspected by him. I sent a terse email to the letting agent yesterday that reminded them of their responsibilities, and received an equally terse text message back: effectively "your email is noted and a repairman will call you tomorrow". The promised call hasn't materialized.

I have kept a complete log of times and dates of calls. I've been as scrupulous about keeping my side of the interaction in writing, as they have been in keeping it verbal. I am also conscious of the rights and duties of both sides in this: I am entitled to repair within a "reasonable" amount of time, and they are required to provide washing facilities. I do not consider a month without any call materializing to be in any way reasonable.

My question is this: Do I escalate to the landlord directly, or the PTRB? I'd like to just pay for appliance to be repaired, and send the letting agency the bill, but I sadly cannot afford that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Write to landlord/letting agent (registered letter) outlining the problem, how long you have been waiting and giving them a time frame to have the issue fixed (say a week). Inform them that you expect a reply in writing (letter only). If the week passes open a case with the PRTB. A month without a washing machine is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

As it has been so long, write one last time stating that if the issue is not resolved within 7 days, you will:
    1. have the machine repaired yourself and deduct the cost from the next rent and
    2. Make a claim with the PRTB for damages for inconvenience, stress and loss of use of the washing machine, as regards the landlord's failure to fulfil his obligations for repairs and maintenance.

You seem to have done everything correct and have sufficient evidence that you have given the landlord reasonable time to remedy the problem.

As regards having the machine repair yourself, I would recommend that you get two or three quotes for the repair, (this is not a legal obligation but serves as evidence that you are not ripping off the landlord). Have the repair/replacement effected by the person with the lowest quote.

Advertisement