Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I keep getting the automated email about password resets.

Options
  • 06-11-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Got this e-mail this morning.

Dear Buck,

Someone has tried to log into your account on boards.ie with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 109.76.52.221

All the best,
    boards.ie

Firstly, why would anyone want to hack my account?

Secondly, can I find out who from the IP address?

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

In my email inbox I keep getting the:
    Hello D,

You have requested to reset your password for your boards.ie account. To do so please Click Here.

However I have not asked for a password reset and have no trouble logging in. I have received two such emails within the last week or so. I have not responded to either. Is there any particular reason or is someone trying to access my account?

Edit: The link within the email starts with: https://www.boards.ie/auth/passwordreset?u=
    so it looks legit.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,244 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Two reports at the same time maybe a coincidence, but I'll have the devs give it a look over and make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Danny

Ok, two separate issues here.

1) Buck, this is just a security notice to let you know that somebody is trying to log in under your account. It could be you, it could be somebody else. We have no way of knowing who it is, and neither do you. If the user persists longer trying to log in we'll block their IP address from Boards for 10 minute periods. It's not really hacking if they're trying to guess your password, it's just down to luck. Make sure you've a strong password and make sure it's not the same as your email address password and you'll be fine. If the abuse persists you can contact the ISP of the offender (e.g. the abuse email address at http://whois.sc/109.76.52.221 is spam.ie@vodafone.com).

2) D, anybody who knows your username or email address can request a password reset and we will send the account holder an email. If you didn't request it then the only way somebody can actually use the form is to have access to your email account which I assume they don't. The security token needed to reset your password expires after 24 hours, so feel free to ignore the mail.

Danny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Thanks, my google account is pretty safe but I'm off to install the authenticator.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Buck

Thanks, changed my passwords just in case :)

• Advertisement

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement