Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re ; Replacing wireless modem router

Options
  • 06-11-2012 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭

I am thinking of relacing my Thomson Wireless modem router in the next few weeks, I am with Smart Telecom,and was wondering if you guys or girls could recommend a tried and tested replacment unit for me,I will be using this replacment unit on wireless 100% if that has any bearing on you your recommendations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Can you explain what problem it is that you are trying to solve?

ie - slow speed, limited/no wifi access in certain parts of your home?
    can you run cables to other locations in your home?

etc.

A bit of background to the issue really helps...

Thanks,

-Foxt

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

FoxT wrote: »
    Can you explain what problem it is that you are trying to solve?

ie - slow speed, limited/no wifi access in certain parts of your home?
    can you run cables to other locations in your home?

etc.

A bit of background to the issue really helps...

Thanks,

-Foxt
    The problem I have is that the Thomson unit I have at the moment takes for ever to get Wi/Fi access when turned on.
    I am also in the last few weeks having to reboot the unit after a few hours of use.
    Plus I want to treat myself for Christmas :D

Thanks FoxT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

To future proof you could consider getting what is sometimes known as a cable wifi router - this would mean that you could use it with upc for example if you were to join them in the future. You would continue to use the Thomson in bridging mode for the modem part.

There are plenty of recommendations in the broadband forum if you want to browse the threads but Netgear for example have plenty of models to have a look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Spudzzmurphy

dub45 wrote: »
    To future proof you could consider getting what is sometimes known as a cable wifi router - this would mean that you could use it with upc for example if you were to join them in the future. You would continue to use the Thomson in bridging mode for the modem part.

There are plenty of recommendations in the broadband forum if you want to browse the threads but Netgear for example have plenty of models to have a look at.
    Thanks Dub45,will have a look into that.

Advertisement