Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother gifts

• 06-11-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I have a budget of about €30/40 for my mother this year, as we'll also be having a day out together which will be part of our gifts to each other. I'm having a terrible time choosing something.

She's into all things holistic, but I don't want to get her anything to do with this interest as she has so much already. Things like perfume, cosmetics, creams etc are no good as she has sensitive skin and doesn't wear any. I do not want to buy her home things, a gift that is just for her would be preferable. She has shelves and shelves of books and does not want more AND she doesn't have space for ornaments/candles etc.

:confused: I cannot see this being easy!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

On your day out, listen if she mentions what she might like! If the day out is in town, and might involve some 'window shopping' then listen to what she admires. If all else fails then ask her if she has any idea what she might want :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I know possibly cliché but would jewellery be any sort of a possibility?

A photo book made up of her life from when she was young to now?

I assume clothing of any sort isn't really on the table?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

star-pants wrote: »
    I know possibly cliché but would jewellery be any sort of a possibility?

A photo book made up of her life from when she was young to now?

I assume clothing of any sort isn't really on the table?

She doesn't wear jewellery, I gave her an album last year, maybe a nice going-out type coat would be nice. Good idea!

Whispered wrote: »
    She doesn't wear jewellery, I gave her an album last year, maybe a nice going-out type coat would be nice. Good idea!

That would be nice if you think she'd like it - not sure if you're near one or if it'd be her style but M&S have 20% off their Per Una stuff today until the 11th

I've decided to do up a little hamper for her with nice bits and pieces in it. She would have to be there to try on a coat and I'd prefer to get something as a surprise. So I'll be keeping an eye out for little knicky knacks and lovely foody bits. Just need to find a basket and I can start filling it up.

• Advertisement

Sounds lovely - maybe HomeStore&More might have baskets? or even some of the Euro stores might have something you can use.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭suomi

If you like cooking and baking, there might be something in this thread that you could put in the hamper: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056110995 So many great recipes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭audi02

Seen lovely hamper baskets in heatons that come with cellophane and a ribbon. Wold be ideal for people looking to make up a hamper. I was looking for a basket before for making up a hamper and there harder to come accross than people think.. the ones in heatons are perfect. Hope this helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

On your day out, listen if she mentions what she might like! If the day out is in town, and might involve some 'window shopping' then listen to what she admires. If all else fails then ask her if she has any idea what she might want :-)
    That's a great idea. I had no clue what to get my aunt until one day in October we were in a shopping centre and she saw a pair of earrings in a jewellers and admired them saying they were gorgeous and she really liked them. I was like :D

Whispered wrote: »
    I've decided to do up a little hamper for her with nice bits and pieces in it. She would have to be there to try on a coat and I'd prefer to get something as a surprise. So I'll be keeping an eye out for little knicky knacks and lovely foody bits. Just need to find a basket and I can start filling it up.
    You say she has sensitive skin, does she use any particular hypo-allergenic creams etc that you could put in it perhaps? The hamper sounds like a lovely and thoughtful idea. :)

Thanks guys, well she decided she really wanted a pair of boots so she bought them herself and I'll give her the money. Not very Christmassy, but it's rare she finds boots she likes and even rarer that she'd buy them so at least I know she's getting what she wants!

I've also got a bit of a hamper on the go for both my parents. I got a lovely little basket for €3 in the second hand shop (and felt like Heidi carrying it home over my arm!). I've got chilli jam made, marmalade, cranberry vodka, truffles and a box of butlers chocolates. I'm going to make a mulling syrup, some coconut macaroons, and some meringues next week, buy some cheese and pack them in with some grapes, nuts and crackers, a bottle of wine and a few bottles of different beers and that will be a hamper for both parents.

• Advertisement
Advertisement