Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Interest Relief

Options
  • 06-11-2012 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi,
    I have taken out a mortgage for a self build and have drawn the first stage payment from the bank. I am due to pay the first instalment of the mortgage later this month.

According to information from the citizen's information website
    you should register online for mortgage interest relief after you have paid the first instalment of your mortgage.

Is this correct i.e you don't get the relief on the first payment?

Also do you need to apply for this yourself or is this generally something your solicitor sorts out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Its between the Revenue and yourself really - use the form on the revenue site and they will liase with bank to make the reduction on your monthly payment. Did it this morning myself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

You can do it here OP. Any relief due will be backdated (up to 4 years).

The reason they ask you to wait until after the first repayment is guarantee that everything has been set up correctly on the bank's systems before you apply for the TRS.

Advertisement