Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"The Gathering"

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

This whole "The Gathering" thing is such a load of crap. Its cringeworthy. They couldn't even think of an imaginative name. "The". Anything that begins with "The", followed by just one word, is just going to turn out embarassingly. It reminds me of that pathetic ER ripoff, that RTE produced pile of bilge that was "The Clinic".

Picture the scene. Newmug rings his Uncle Frank in Australia:

NM: "Are ya well Frank, this is Newmug. Did you hear about this The Gathering thing?"
    Frank: "Ah hows-a-goin Newmug. No, whats that?"
    NM: "Well its this thing that the govt. are doing, they want to get all the people who emmigrated over the years to come home for a while"
    Frank: "What like for a holiday, or a few years?"
    NM: "Dunno. They're always wanting people to come to Ireland, tourists and the like, but now they specifically want Irish people who emmigrated. And if you own a business, even better. They're telling people to spread the word, ring relatives etc."
    Frank: "Well like, come home to where? Is there going to be some kind of meeting, or speeches and that kind of stuff?"
    NM: "Havent a clue. They've a few posters up of kids with red hair, and a kind of Newgrange spiral yoke only with modern spirals instead of the old curly ones. I'd say it'll be deadly!"
    Frank: "What exactly will be deadly? Is there somewhere they want us to "gather", will there be sandwiches and cocktail sausages, is it at a certain tine, like, I just dont get whats going on. And whats these posters all about?"
    NM: "I dunno Frank, I'm only passing on the message. They want yiz all here, thats all I know"
    Frank: "And who's paying for all this?
    NM: "I'd say the govt. will lay on the sausages. Sure they'd have to, after you coming from Australia and all. You'd probably have to pay for your own flight but."
    Frank: "Ah here Newmug, its $1700 dollars to fly to Ireland. I left Ireland in when I was 16, in 1952, and I wasn't home since Granny's funeral. And remember the incident with Christy?"
    NM: "Christy was plastered, dont mind him. Anyway you're way better at lamb throwing than he'll ever be. So will ya come? I'll put you up for your stay."
    Frank: "Well as it happens, I was thinking about it anyway. Sure I might."
    NM: "Great Frank, and bring all your money!"
    Frank: "What money?"
    NM: "The money you made over your lifetime ya eejit! Sure you left the green pastures of Ireland many years ago, to make your fortune in a foreign land, sure you must be a millionaire!"
    Frank: "It wasn't exactly like that Newmug. There were 11 of us in a 2 roomed cottage, there was no work, no prospect of education, no money. I left to go to England first actually, worked there for a few years and saved up enough to go further. When I got to Oz, sure things were better, but it wasn't plain sailing either. Life was tough being an outsider, us Irish had to stick together, sure then I met Bridie and we got married and reared a family. The quality of life was a hell-of-a-lot better than what I left behind in Ireland, but money was still always tight. It was no bed of roses I can tell you."
    NM: "But this yoke is called "The Gathering", its all arty and fancy and vague and stuff. You HAVE to come, go on Frank - and bring all your money."
    Frank "Fcuk off" **engaged tone**

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Comment on the 'The Gathering' (sic)

...at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.....

I'm away to rob a bank....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭creedp

gozunda wrote: »
    Comment on the 'The Gathering' (sic)

...at least Dick Turpin wore a mask.....

I'm away to rob a bank....

I don't quite get this highway robbery thing. When my US relatives visited last home year they had a good time for 3 weeks and went home. Now if they had waited for this year they would I suppose have participated in 'the gathering' and would have a good time for 3 weeks and go home. Seems to me the only difference between the 2 is the year!

However, as a marketing ploy I think the gathering lark is cringeworthy and should simply be dropped as a bad idea. Having said that I recently saw a Bord Failte ad in the UK trying to get UK people to visit Ireland during the olympics so as to avoid the crowds in London but the images used for Ireland of leprechauns and quiet man type scenes were truly pitiful. So maybe 'the gathering' isn't that bad after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The gathering is a good idea, probably only the Green Party are opposed to it in principle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

avalon68 wrote: »
    Id have to disagree on the hotels - Ive stayed in several in the last few weeks in Ireland and the UK - the quality is comparable between both countries, but the price is a lot cheaper in the UK. Additionally room service, breakfast etc is a lot cheaper in the uk. A few weeks back I stayed in Cork - 110 for the room for the night - mid week. Thats crazy expensive

Agree on hotels. I stayed in one down in Westport a while ago for a wedding. €130+ per night and €7 for a poxy ham sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Nobody is trying to hide the fact that the gathering is a money raising initiative. I don't think anybody thinks tourists are stupid and lets lure them here to rip them off.

The whole point is that we are on our knees financially and need help, so we're sending a message out to those with Irish routes, that if you're planning a holiday, come home and spend the money here, in turn we'll put on a load of events and you will have a great time!

I thought Byrnes comments were arseholeish of the highest calibre. If anything, being patronising to tourists, as though they're thick enough to be scammed into something as openly obvious as what the gathering is all about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What about Michael Ring, TD – Minister of State for Tourism and Sport - and his response to Gabriel Byrne by repeating the jaded call to put on the green jersey. If I hear that ****ing rubbish much more I won't wait for my kids to grow up before getting the boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

I lived abroad until very recently and never heard one word about this "gathering" until I got back in Ireland........shouldnt they actually be advertising abroad rather than having adds in the radio every 5 min within Ireland??

This is all I have heard from relatives abroad too.
    It is a badly thought out and badly executed fiasco.

Trying to harness worldwide visitors into one time period actually requires an event on the scale of the Olympics.

A more long term plan is a better Idea.

More competitive flights are essential it is under 500 from the US to the UK and over 1000 from the US to Ireland. People could fly to the UK and fly to Ireland for less.
    However, as a marketing ploy I think the gathering lark is cringeworthy and should simply be dropped as a bad idea. Having said that I recently saw a Bord Failte ad in the UK trying to get UK people to visit Ireland during the olympics so as to avoid the crowds in London but the images used for Ireland of leprechauns and quiet man type scenes were truly pitiful. So maybe 'the gathering' isn't that bad after all.

They lost money on that...they could not entice visitors away form the Olympics and tourism fell hugely and they wasted money. Trying to draw people away from the Olympics was moronic.

People in the US are tired of hearing the green jersey crap....really Irish abroad get nothing why should they give anything?

Besides when my family come I want to spend time with them we stay together in each others places if they come here or i go there.

NO ONE i know stays in a hotel when they come to visit their families etc.

And Irish Americans don't feel a draw ....and for them it is a once in a lifetime trip they will go when they can not because of a GOVT plan.

The posters are right.....what is the difference between NEXT year and THIS year ????

If you want to promote something that links the 'dispora' this is not it....maybe promoting the language or culture ...or I dunno what DOES link the dispora????

It should be more than money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Agree on hotels. I stayed in one down in Westport a while ago for a wedding.

Another post trying to make a point with a sample of one.

Hotels.com have a sample of some actual statistical significance
    http://www.worldirish.com/story/11523-irish-hotel-prices-are-the-third-cheapest-in-western-europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I saw this yesterday, it's a loyalty card 'Gathering Passport'. I doubt anything will come of it though. http://theforagingireland.blogspot.ie/2012/11/heres-idea.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Trying to harness worldwide visitors into one time period actually requires an event on the scale of the Olympics.

A more long term plan is a better Idea.

Trying to draw people away from the Olympics was moronic.

People in the US are tired of hearing the green jersey crap....really Irish abroad get nothing why should they give anything?

Besides when my family come I want to spend time with them we stay together in each others places if they come here or i go there.

NO ONE i know stays in a hotel when they come to visit their families etc.

And Irish Americans don't feel a draw ....and for them it is a once in a lifetime trip they will go when they can not because of a GOVT plan.

If you want to promote something that links the 'dispora' this is not it....maybe promoting the language or culture ...or I dunno what DOES link the dispora????

You are so getting a thanks for that post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

The Gathering is embarrassing , fair enough if we had done it during the "boom" but now it's pathetic . Its akin to the church collection basket , shameless begging.

Moflojo wrote: »
    I saw this yesterday, it's a loyalty card 'Gathering Passport'. I doubt anything will come of it though. http://theforagingireland.blogspot.ie/2012/11/heres-idea.html

I preferred this post: http://theforagingireland.blogspot.ie/2012/11/gabriel-byrne-to-boycott-varadkars-ma.html :D

Trying to draw people away from the Olympics was moronic.

Pointing out the availability of uncrowded spaces to the citizens of a very large city that was especially congested at that time seems a reasonable plan. Why exactly do you describe this as "moronic"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

London was actually less congested during the olympics than normal and commuting was a doddle.

• Advertisement

London was actually less congested during the olympics than normal and commuting was a doddle.

Might this be because some local people had planned holidays elsewhere in this period?

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭Debator

On a related note, I was browsing the RTE news website and came across this video of Moneygall locals celebrating the Obama reelection victory. Not for any moral or political reasons, but because it means they can leech off the tenuous link to the Obama name for another 4 years. More tourist pennies in the greasy till. Sleeveens of the highest order.

RTE Video

I also believe the Gathering is a sham and an insult to the diaspora abroad, of which I am one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

Anyone get "The Gathering" official postcards ?

Got them through the door the other day. Very expensive full photo colour print on heavy card & laminated.

It's a tri-fold one pard being an explanation of what it's all about & two individual postcards which you're supposed to send to your loved ones to invite them back. Not a bad idea, probably would have worked a lot better if they'd put licensee postage on it instead of "Affix Stamp Here". At the very least they could have tracked how many were sent & how effective the campaign was. Match this up against visitor numbers (possibly even against individual passports) & see if it was money well spent.

Looking at some of the registered events for the Gathering I see that a commercial triathlon company is busy registering every triathlon they intend to organise as Gathering 'events'. The dingle triathlon and the killarney triathlon and the athy triathlon are no more a gathering type event that the Killiney egg and spoon festival would be.

They had better quality controld this before it becomes a complete farce. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Looking at some of the registered events for the Gathering I see that a commercial triathlon company is busy registering every triathlon they intend to organise as Gathering 'events'.

That's kinda the idea - advertise it to Irish people living abroad or the "disapora" to get them to come back to Ireland. Given the success of new evens like the Galway Ironman, I'm sure you'll find a few people that will want to come to events like that.

The idea of advertising it here is to get us to talk to our own far flung friends and relations, instead of relying on world wide advertising to get the message across.

My family have relations in Australia, the US and Dublin 4 East Britain who haven't been home in a while and it'd be good to see them outside of the usual weddings/funerals that they (sometimes) do come home for.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 42 MikeMichael

Looking at some of the registered events for the Gathering I see that a commercial triathlon company is busy registering every triathlon they intend to organise as Gathering 'events'. The dingle triathlon and the killarney triathlon and the athy triathlon are no more a gathering type event that the Killiney egg and spoon festival would be.

They had better quality controld this before it becomes a complete farce. :(

I really dislike some of these commerical race organisers. Its all about the money with them.

creedp wrote: »

I don't quite get this highway robbery thing. When my US relatives visited last home year they had a good time for 3 weeks and went home. Now if they had waited for this year they would I suppose have participated in 'the gathering' and would have a good time for 3 weeks and go home. Seems to me the only difference between the 2 is the year!

The whole premise of this farcical idea of a 'gathering' is that 'we' invite the diaspora back for a bit of a hoolie, knees up etc. and that we as citizens target the ol relatives abroad specifically (see 'postcards' sent out)

Now I don't know about the rest of you but IF and WHEN I ever invite friends and family to join me in a celebration - I don't bring them to the local big hotel, wine and dine them AND then hand them the bill at the end of it.

What exactly is the attraction for any diaspora to respond to such a mercenary 'invitation ' or alternatively let's get them to the airport and we can just shake them down there in the guise of customs where we seize any cash or valuables they may be carrying, slap them on the back and send them back on the next flight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

The whole premise of this farcical idea of a 'gathering' is that 'we' invite the diaspora back for a bit of a hoolie, knees up etc. and that we as citizens target the ol relatives abroad specifically (see 'postcards' sent out)

Now I don't know about the rest of you but IF and WHEN I ever invite friends and family to join me in a celebration - I don't bring them to the local big hotel, wine and dine them AND then hand them the bill at the end of it.

What exactly is the attraction for any diaspora to respond to such a mercenary 'invitation ' or alternatively let's get them to the airport and we can just shake them down there in the guise of customs where we seize any cash or valuables they may be carrying, slap them on the back and send them back on the next flight...
    Fine.
    Sit on hands and do nothing. It'll all be grand. Everyone's a victim, particularly those forced to leave at gunpoint and shoved on to coffin ships to the New World and other such slumvilles.

JustinDee wrote: »
    Fine.
    Sit on hands and do nothing. It'll all be grand. Everyone's a victim, particularly those forced to leave at gunpoint and shoved on to coffin ships to the New World and other such slumvilles.

Eh the old conflicting argument! Who said anything about victims btw? your applied logic or lack of is appalling. So you agree with inviting your mates over and relieving them of their wallets? With mates like that I would run a mile.

This sc(h)am will potentially do more damage to
    Tourism than any amount of 'top o the morning' Shyte thought up by a thousand lepracauns dancing a reel down O'Connell St...

Just because its an idea to make money does not mean that It is a Good idea...

Eh the old conflicting argument! Who said anything about victims btw? your applied logic or lack of is appalling. So you agree with inviting your mates over and relieving them of their wallets? With mates like that I would run a mile

Ignoring your melodramatic sense of being "appalled", I'd do my bit yes. Why not? It isn't anything to do with any daft notion of "relieving (people) of their wallets".

Sitting and waiting for something to happen or for someone else to do something tends to be a trite, apathetic and even sanctimonious stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

OU812 wrote: »
    Anyone get "The Gathering" official postcards ?

Got them through the door the other day. Very expensive full photo colour print on heavy card & laminated.

It's a tri-fold one pard being an explanation of what it's all about & two individual postcards which you're supposed to send to your loved ones to invite them back. Not a bad idea, probably would have worked a lot better if they'd put licensee postage on it instead of "Affix Stamp Here"

So, the glossy marketing brochure (i.e. the postcard) got binned as a result of a decision to "save" the cost of a postage stamp?

Maybe they should have just taken the next step and posted them to people abroad and have them arrive with a "postage due" stamp so the recipients are forced to pay for the postage? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭OU812

The thing is with licensee postage, they only pay for the barcode setup & whatever is processed. If they Wernt posted, there'd be no additional cost

Ignoring your melodramatic sense of being "appalled", I'd do my bit yes. Why not? It isn't anything to do with any daft notion of "relieving (people) of their wallets".
    Sitting and waiting for something to happen or for someone else to do something tends to be a trite, apathetic and even sanctimonious stance.

Do tell - What is your "bit" that you have been up to? It is reassuring that such state sanctioned projects can not be evaluated and if individuals do believe there is a problem that they are classed as "trite, apathetic and sanctimonious, " great logic btw....I love it - I really do :rolleyes:

From what you have said above therefore you will adopt any old idea to get money in - no matter what the repercussions or negative impacts are?

Btw the phrase concerning wallets btw is a metaphor for the objective of inviting our dispora back to relieve them of their cash under the guise of a family invite - if you dont get that - then I cant help you I'm afraid.

Do tell - What is your "bit" that you have been up to? It is reassuring that such state sanctioned projects can not be evaluated and if individuals do believe there is a problem that they are classed as "trite, apathetic and sanctimonious, " great logic btw....I love it - I really do :rolleyes:

From what you have said above therefore you will adopt any old idea to get money in - no matter what the repercussions or negative impacts are?
    You've just exemplified further what I was saying.
    I don't actually care if an anonymous internet handle likes what I say or not, to be frank. I've an opinion and just shared it. Life goes on, don't worry.
    Btw the phrase concerning wallets btw is a metaphor for the objective of inviting our dispora back to relieve them of their cash under the guise of a family invite - if you dont get that - then I cant help you I'm afraid.
    No need to be so thin-skinned. I know what it meant. If you want an argument, try someone else.

You've just exemplified further what I was saying. I don't actually care if an anonymous internet handle likes what I say or not, to be frank. I've an opinion and just shared it. Life goes on, don't worry.
    No need to be so thin-skinned. I know what it meant. If you want an argument, try someone else.

JD if you can not stand over your own pronouncements then try not to make trite attacks on the opinions of others ok.

Anonymity on this Forum or otherwise is irrelevant btw - would it make it better if I 'knew' who you were?

If you 'claim' to be be doing your bit - then at least give some detail when asked nicely. I simply asked that you give some reasoning behind your criticism of other viewpoints. Personally I like Discussion and am always willing to consider other points of view where there is a reasoned argument. If you wish to jump up and down in a virtual tantrum then that's fine but don't expect for others to accept that as gospel ok?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

bbsrs wrote: »
    Why don't we just send little cardboard charity boxes to all the US school children once a year as a collection for the Emerald Isle.

Fantastic idea.....why havn't cynical politicians thought of that one before.

Pictures of Leps and a campaign to Feed The Bankers Retirement Funds.

Only lets be sure to tell them that when they grow up there won't be any chance of them actually living in Ireland as a personal experience has taught me.

Seems like Special Visas existed for Irish people being let into America for years.

No such Special Visas apply to American Citzens though.

Like another website summing up went which says it all....

"We Want Your American Companies and Investment....but we don't want you".

Why isn't this message highlighted during Cap in Hand....eh I mean...Paddy's Day (which as an Irishman I hate).

Gabriel Byrne had it right but didn't go far enough.

This is ridiculous, plenty of Americans in Ireland on special visas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

This is ridiculous, plenty of Americans in Ireland on special visas.

Yeah....they are called Marriage Licences.

I am not talking about people who own companies, run companies or people who are surgeons.

Look at the criteria for all those Visas for Irish going to to America all of those years and measure them up to the ones on the Work Permits website even 5 years ago.

Dealing with this subject for well over 8 years....how much experience do you have with it?

We have closed up shop but we want to peddle the old America is such a fantastic "friend", we help built America etc etc

When Enda Kenny is over for the March 17 photo opportunity next year watch how the old "Undocumented" Irish subject comes up again.

What is Kenny going to do about Undocumented Americans here? Nada, Zero...nothing.

Ridiculous? = "absurd; preposterous; laughable" Yeaaahhhhhh

But listen....for years well over 50% of Companies here were American Companies.

Show me where these "Special Visas" are to be applied for then?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/11/25/the-ah-here-ing/
    Jim Miley, project director of The Gathering is being paid € 168,000 a year in his role head of the tourism initiative. Miley, former chief executive of MyHome.ie and a former General Secretary of Fine Gael won a tender in May to run a “national tourism initiative and community development project.”

There were several applications for the role from senior marketing and tourism industry figures. Miley signed a contract on a salary of € 14,000 a month on May 18.

Transport.ie :: Press Release

Paper trail with exactly how every cent is spent is needed for this one to prevent the taxpayer being robbed blind. I`m in Australia. I`ll be home when I can afford it and when I can get the time off, their silly theme will have no bearing. It wont have any bearing on most. I`d imagine a family would be in an even tighter position and would not be heading home for some vague thing that sounds like an attempt to reach into the pockets of those who managed to get away

And worthy every cent of his remuneration. :rolleyes:

I knew there would be gravy http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=81596266&postcount=1 but even I didn't think it would be that much for one individual - bet he gets expenses too. What does the man from KH make of that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Id have to disagree on the hotels - Ive stayed in several in the last few weeks in Ireland and the UK - the quality is comparable between both countries, but the price is a lot cheaper in the UK. Additionally room service, breakfast etc is a lot cheaper in the uk. A few weeks back I stayed in Cork - 110 for the room for the night - mid week. Thats crazy expensive

Where in the UK were you - you'd hardly get breakfast in London for that. There are plenty of good hotels in Cork with rates around the € 60 / € 80 night mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

Jim Miley, project director of The Gathering is being paid € 168,000 a year in his role head of the tourism initiative. Miley, former chief executive of MyHome.ie and a former General Secretary of Fine Gael won a tender in May to run a “national tourism initiative and community development project.”

There were several applications for the role from senior marketing and tourism industry figures. Miley signed a contract on a salary of € 14,000 a month on May 18.

Feeding at the trough.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/1231/new-years-eve-the-gathering.html
    The Gathering officially kicks-off with a New Year's Eve festival in Dublin city centre tonight.

It will be the first in a year-long calendar of events organised to celebrate Ireland, its people and its connections, both at home and abroad.

and this is what those on the big money are saying:
    Organisers say journalists from around 70 international broadcast and print media organisations have arrived in Dublin to cover the event.

Nothing to do with, ahem, the EU presidency.....no 70 freaking journalists came out to Dublin for fireworks and some music. Despite this going on in every major city in the world on New Years eve they decide to go to Dublin.

What happened ? Was it the biggest show on earth in Dublin? Wow the media really earn their money.....as spin doctors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭JoeGil

Is it too late late to cancel this gathering nonsense or have the marketing budgets already been spent?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

JoeGil wrote: »
    Is it too late late to cancel this gathering nonsense or have the marketing budgets already been spent?

It is amazing that so much money has been spent on some people that are only in it for the money and does not care if the project is a success or not.

The money spent on the Gathering should have been spent on giving visitors to Ireland a good experience like reasonable hotel costs and reasonable transport cost, the recession is worldwide and people will only want value for money regardless of their nationality. Give them a reason to want to retune to Ireland. Not a lot of hype that amounts to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Maura74 wrote: »
    It is amazing that so much money has been spent on some people that are only in it for the money and does not care if the project is a success or not.

The money spent on the Gathering should have been spent on giving visitors to Ireland a good experience like reasonable hotel costs and reasonable transport cost, the recession is worldwide and people will only want value for money regardless of their nationality. Give them a reason to want to retune to Ireland. Not a lot of hype that amounts to nothing.

Costs in Ireland are indeed high, however try hiring a car in France and it is not cheaper than here, petrol costs just as much. At present there is superb value in Irish hotels , our restaurant costs have also improved considerably. We do not have the weather but then again everyone doesn't come for that. We have a beautiful country with free walking trails all over. Ireland is presently a difficulty country to live and work in due to the recession and the extra taxes. Surely encouraging tourism is a good thing and the gathering will certainly bring in many tourists. Time to light the candle , I for one am getting tired of people cursing the darkness.;)

The thing is a complete farce as can be seen by the sheer amount of existing annual events roped in under the Gathering umbrella to make it look like a success. Remember if you and one other person meet for a pint it's a gathering - according to their own propaganda. :rolleyes:

http://www.thegatheringireland.com/

shawnee wrote: »
    \ Time to light the candle , I for one am getting tired of people cursing the darkness.;)

How poetic, unfortunately taking such a poetic view of it ignores the corruption/incompetence inherent in the sham "the gathering". This sort of thing is exactly why Ireland is experiencing mid 19th century emigration rates.

This is the reality:

We currently have the former secretary of Fine Gael earning 168,000 a year to proclaim that every festival has something to do with "The Gathering".
    "The Gathering" ? when is it on? what is it? It is a phrase to be attached to things this year i.e it`s nothing.

RTE last night claimed that 70 members of the international media were in Dublin to witness the beginning of the gathering. Now we really aren`t that stupid are we? What would be so special about the celebrations in Dublin that would attract the world press over the much bigger celebrations worldwide?

The press were over for the EU presidency.

The above should be enough for anyone with half a brain to pick out several fundamental flaws in our democracy.

But sure its all grand, lets be poetic, lets not rock the boat., go light a candle and let political class ruin the country unchallenged.

One of the fundamental problems with developing tourism in Ireland is that the same old, jaded faces from the 1980s/90s are still running things. There are a multitude of agencies stuffed with the 'old boys' clique - one only has to look at the grandly titled Irish Tourist Industry Confederation http://www.itic.ie/ which has been around for years and is made up of reps from mainly State bodies. I heard its CEO, Eamonn McKeown, formerly CEO of the defunct Great Southern Hotels chain, talking on the radio during the week about competing with the English Lake District for visitors.....ffs has he ever been there! There's more in the way of visitor attractions in the English Lake District than on the whole island of Ireland https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:vpVpGLMqkLwJ:www.lakedistrict.gov.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/229997/State-of-the-Park-2012.pdf+visitor+numbers+to+lake+district&hl=en&gl=ie&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESiczx418ISBwv_Aw6bUD6x6PUdTF6f2RWq4RAKjoYpqAfxjp_3tQ7ywPvad4Tl-p_xlUK3GZp_XRdB9CvBXttdKO1BOT4wDJ4RVGrcXz-gte2X62-TETaF8CC23eImlGP7HyFsi&sig=AHIEtbTaUbNUHuBVpgT1NfJKoTPuQx2zLA

and that's why it attracts more than 15 million visitors per annum.

There's needs to be a massive clear-out at the top in Irish tourism and a drastic rationalisation of the number of official bodies. Won't happen though because this is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

What about gathering all corrupt bankers and over paid politicians so we can kick them bishop Brennan style up the hole?

5 euro a kick. That would make a few billion from the diaspora and particularly natives.

Now that would be a gathering.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Maura74

shawnee wrote: »
    Costs in Ireland are indeed high, however try hiring a car in France and it is not cheaper than here, petrol costs just as much. At present there is superb value in Irish hotels , our restaurant costs have also improved considerably. We do not have the weather but then again everyone doesn't come for that. We have a beautiful country with free walking trails all over. Ireland is presently a difficulty country to live and work in due to the recession and the extra taxes. Surely encouraging tourism is a good thing and the gathering will certainly bring in many tourists. Time to light the candle , I for one am getting tired of people cursing the darkness.;)

I appreciate that hiring car in other EU country is not cheap, but you are missing the point France is not advertising the ‘Gathering’. Also, lots of people do not drive and will be middle aged and perhaps retired people on a pension that will want best value for money.

To me the word ‘Gathering’ is off putting as it also means crowd’s and or gangs connation. A gathering is OK fireworks night bring in the New Year a group of mainly young people to be in one place for 20 minutes and then go home after the fireworks has ended.

Hotels and restaurants have improved in Ireland and they charge accordingly like every other country. Saying that there are far more choice of hotels and restaurants in other counties as they are far bigger than Ireland therefore more of a chance of getting a better value for money.

As for American’s I understand that the working population there get very little holidays compared to the EU countries therefore will not want to use it to travel to Ireland for a ‘Gathering’.

As for lighting a candle this can be done anytime and is mostly done by poor people that are trying to save on high electricity bill.

It should be said that every country has their own beautiful country side areas (not just Ireland) and they do not have to travel to Ireland to be in a 'Gathering' to be able to use it.

• Site Banned Posts: 95 ✭✭Debator

"The Gathering" - another state body set up solely to function as a jobs club for the boys. Sucking every last penny out of us.
    How about using that money to improve bus and railway stations around the country? Services that tourists will actually benefit from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

My mind can't switch to the gathering,
    Still bothered by the scattering,
    Emigration not very flattering,
    Country in tatters - money matters !

What odds ? Firework display
    Bring out the mirrors and the smoke
    Deflect and mask the disarray !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Just picked up the Irish Post here and saw it advertised.

"Whether you're Donegal born and bred or aunt had a great uncle Colm who was from Cork; you're Irish. And Guess what? You're invited."

This coupled with a picture of a ginger young one and a multicultural montage.

Cringe.

• Advertisement
Advertisement