Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skinners Dog Food?

• 06-11-2012 4:37pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm considering changing dog food but my problem is I have 2 very different dogs and only want to buy one type of food if at all possible.

My collie is 10 yrs old, gets fed his main meal at night and then has some biscuits as breakfast - its what he likes and it seems to suit him

My JRT x is 2yrs old, very hyper and very greedy, she gets fed morning and night.

As my collie is getting on a bit I want to give him something a bit better quality and hopefully find a food that will satisfy the greedy terrier.

Is Skinners suitable or is there something else, I don't have a huge budget, I probably spend 12 per week on them at the minute.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

It is hard to know for sure as (stating the obvious here) not all dogs are the same when it comes to food.

Recently a good few people here have switched to Skinners as it as a good quality food and it is sold at a good price (working dog food so no VAT).

You probably have seen the other posts comparing the ingredients of Burns and Skinners. They are both very similar. The feeding guidelines are same for both foods - 10g/Kg. So for my 3 medium sized dogs a 15kg bag will last 6 weeks. This might seem like a small amount but there is alot packed into each kibble.

I have one of my dogs is on Skinners (the other 2 will be switching over soon). She is 2.5 years old and full of energy like your JRT. She is doing well on the food - full of energy out walking but relaxed watching TV!

One of my other dogs is 10 like your collie. He is finishing his Burns at the moment and I hope he'll be OK on the Skinners. I am not really into senior foods, etc.

The best place to get Skinners is Amazon.

Maybe starting out you could get a small bag to try. I use duck & rice but I hear the salmon & rice is good too. Turkey & rice is a bit more expensive. These foods are all in the Field & Trial range i.e. no VAT.

There is a Pet range too which again is more expensive. Not sure if this range is really worth it. (The Field & Trial ingredients have all you need.)

Hope that helps in some way!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm not going to comment on what dry food to feed a dog, because I can't, in all good faith, recommend any of it.
    However, I would strongly suggest that anyone with an ageing dog take steps to increase protein in both quantity and quality, decrease carbs, and most importantly, increase ingredients which are high in antioxidants, and which destroy free radicals, which assist in cellular repair. Fresh, oily fish is super for an ageing dog to supply these essential anti-ageing ingredients. Also small amounts of liver, and fresh cooked veg, especially green veg and carrots.
    Don't wait until the dog is starting to act old: a pre-emptive strike via diet can stop the process of mental ageing and dementia, but it must be done as early as possible in the ageing dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

DBB wrote: »
    I'm not going to comment on what dry food to feed a dog, because I can't, in all good faith, recommend any of it.
    However, I would strongly suggest that anyone with an ageing dog take steps to increase protein in both quantity and quality, decrease carbs, and most importantly, increase ingredients which are high in antioxidants, and which destroy free radicals, which assist in cellular repair. Fresh, oily fish is super for an ageing dog to supply these essential anti-ageing ingredients. Also small amounts of liver, and fresh cooked veg, especially green veg and carrots.
    Don't wait until the dog is starting to act old: a pre-emptive strike via diet can stop the process of mental ageing and dementia, but it must be done as early as possible in the ageing dog.
    paultf wrote: »
    One of my other dogs is 10 like your collie. He is finishing his Burns at the moment and I hope he'll be OK on the Skinners. I am not really into senior foods, etc.

What I was trying to get at is that some dog food manufacturers have a senior/light range. Anytime I have checked the ingredients, they wouldn't be as good as say the adult food. I don't see any problems with an older dog staying on an good quality adult diet. I mean the feeding guidleines for Skinners is very low anyway.

A while ago when on Red Mills Leader, the sales agent told me since my dog was 7 years old he should go on a senior diet! Are all these different dog foods for different life stages only a marketing tool? OK, puppy/junior is needed - but putting a 7 year old dog on a senior food?

Most people would supplement their dogs food. I give my lot 100% air dried chicken or duck treats so they get extra meat that way. Also they get fish skin treats. Also some apple and veg. The odd tin of sardines too.

So hopefully, especially the eldest dog, is being looked after OK!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

What age is considered 'ageing' in a dog do you think? My older dog is somewhere between 6 and 7, whilst he doesn't appear to be slowing down just yet, I am keeping a close eye, he loves his grub and will eat veg, fruit, pretty much anything really plus he gets oily fish once a week, so adding things into his diet isn't really a problem, he does have a low grade heart murmur and a limp on his back leg as well, just to add a bit of interest into the mix!!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I use Skinners Field & Trial for my two, both collie crosses. My two yr old is on the Maintenance. The 8mth old is on the Crunchy having been initially on the puppy. The pup will move to the maintenance next year although she is a working dog so we'll see at the time. I've never had any issue with it, they love it, are both in great health, coats excellent, stools all good etc. I had used other brands but they were so expensive, I was recommended Skinners & haven't changed. I used to get it from a local guy who brings it in but then found I could order it from Amazon UK for MUCH cheaper. Sorry to take away business from the local guy but hey, needs must and all that. Shipping is free with Amazon.

I also give them a tin of sardines every so often but otherwise I only feed dry.

Have a look at their different products & try it out. It's so well priced that it won't be an expensive trial.

Ps. I do think there is a certain level of excessive marketing applied to foods, it's like the latest toddler to 4yrs milk formula that's being advertised now on tv. Put the idea in people's heads & they'll go 'oh, should I really be doing that??'

• Advertisement

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    What age is considered 'ageing' in a dog do you think? My older dog is somewhere between 6 and 7, whilst he doesn't appear to be slowing down just yet, I am keeping a close eye, he loves his grub and will eat veg, fruit, pretty much anything really plus he gets oily fish once a week, so adding things into his diet isn't really a problem, he does have a low grade heart murmur and a limp on his back leg as well, just to add a bit of interest into the mix!!

I wouldn't dare say a specific age at which a dog is considered to be getting old :D but from a veterinary perspective, and perhaps one of the vet people here can clarify, I think 7 is considered to be the boundary for "geriatric" :eek:
    However, it depends on a lot of different things too... small dogs live longer than big dogs, some breeds live longer than others, so in reality, it's probably a moveable feast!
    One of the classic early signs of dementia includes night-time wakefulness, so this is a good time to get feeding appropriate age-related food (but again, let me reiterate, I put zero stall in ANY dry food, or anything they claim). Fish, fresh meat, eggs, fresh cooked veg, and various herbs, nyum nyum nyum :)
    Dogs of the longer-lived varieties are probably okay to start adjusting diet from 8ish onwards, though ideally, if they've always been on a high-meat fresh diet, the chances of them developing dementia are probably lower in the first place, and so the adjustment is minimal, save for lowering carbs to keep weight down, with increased protein for serotonin uptake, cell repair etc. And perhaps more oily fish and various essential oils for their age-defying properties too.
    Dogs are kinda lucky in that you can control, even prevent dementia via diet. Humans can't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

On the other hand then, there are plenty dogs out there who have lived to ripe old ages of 12+ and been on a dry food diet all their lives and haven't gotten dimentia or other ailments etc. Some breeds are more susceptible alright to diet sensitivities which needs consideration but a lot is down then to owner preference & what suits your dog & budget. Personally I prefer to keep it simple & as long as there are no particular problems that do need diet adjustment or supplements, then I don't worry too much. I would adjust amounts according to weight and activity though as some weeks they might need feeding up or down depending on what's been going on.

However, because mine are fed a relatively simple diet, I do have to be careful of them getting hold of anything they shouldn't or garden clean up isn't too pleasant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'll never forget the first time my vet described Boo as 'old.' She had just turned eight. Oh, I was so miffed! How dare you call my darling baby 'old' :eek: :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I know many of us believe that a home-prepared diet from fresh ingredients is the gold standard. I do that for Boo because she needs it. My life is so busy that I can't provide that level of service to my other dog, who's currently on Skinners plus a little bit of all the goodies Boo gets. I don't feel bad that she is on a commercial food. It's a good 'un and she gets a fresh ingredient or two with it, most days.

Realistically, a home-cooked or raw, BARF-style diet isn't for everyone, for reasons of time, cost or convenience. I don't want anyone to feel bad about that. That's why when asked by someone who is on a budget how they can improve their dog's diet, I recommend adding healthy scraps and things in moderation, like liver, yoghurt or sardines, which don't cost the earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I changed my Boxer over to skinners a few months ago, I am very happy with it and so is he, he actually drools when he sees me coming with his cup of food. No stinky farts which were an issue with other foods, his coat is shiny and he looks really healthy.

I think we will be sticking with it and I never run out because I have subscribed and saved with amazon so I never forget to order the dog food, it's brilliant. Every dog is different, some foods which were recommended to me and looked great on paper did not suit my dog, others worked great. Everydog is different. Why not get on to skinners and get them to send you out some samples.

• Advertisement

The ripe old age of 12+?
    Jayney, I'd be disappointed if my dog died of old age at 12! I hear all the time about dogs 30+ years ago routinely living to a real ripe old age of 15+, all of my own childhood dogs did... It was so common as to be an expectation in those days, a dog dying sooner was a real shock. But in those days, feeding "human food" was all there was... There was no dry food.
    These days, however, early death at the 10-12 mark or even sooner, seems to be the norm now, it's really, really common. I've said it before here, pet food companies and vets have realised of late that they got it horribly wrong with dry cat food. I'd put money on the same eventually happening with dry dog food. In fact, I think it's already started.
    I don't agree it's down to owner preference, because not many owners are clued in enough into the nutritional needs of their dogs... For goodness' sake, too many vets don't know enough, what hope have owners?
    I think it's down to research, what's best for dogs. And now that there's a lot more research on all things nutritional in companion animals, independent of pet food companies, it's becoming clear that we've been falling far short of our cats' and dogs' nutritional needs with any dry food, no matter what you pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I wouldn't dare say a specific age at which a dog is considered to be getting old :D but from a veterinary perspective, and perhaps one of the vet people here can clarify, I think 7 is considered to be the boundary for "geriatric" :eek:

6-8 years dependent on the breed! 6 for giants, 8 is generally for everyone else! :)

6-8 years dependent on the breed! 6 for giants, 8 is generally for everyone else! :)

I'd a feeling there were terms and conditions attached depending on breed! Thanks for the clarification! Like boomerang, I almost hit the floor when my vet had the cheek to call my then-8 year old westie geriatric! Cheek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'd a feeling there were terms and conditions attached depending on breed! Thanks for the clarification! Like boomerang, I almost hit the floor when my vet had the cheek to call my then-8 year old westie geriatric! Cheek!

I love seeing the look on people's faces when I tell them their animals are geriatric :D Especially the giants! Poor giant breeds get a tough break.. doesn't put me off wanting a Great Dane though :D Anyway I'll stop derailing this thread :P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

wow that a lot of great advice thanks very much.

i have to admit as well that I have very little knowledge when it comes to animal nutrition.

can anyone point me in the direction of a good website / book / journal articles that can help me improve my knowledge.

thanks

Advertisement