Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scopetronic vista 5

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

17larsson wrote: »
    The battery is down to 5v after just a day. It seems to be working off the battery only. When the battery is disconnected the panel is dead

The leads charge the battery, when the mains is off the system uses the power provided by the back up battery. That is why I asked you to check what voltage is across these leads with just the mains connected. If you are getting the 17V from the transformer and it's connected to the system there may be an issue with the control panel itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

Alright thanks Altor,
    Yeah there must be something wrong with the board, it's a shame because it works perfect when the battery is fully charged and connected. As it works off the battery I wonder if I put the output of the transformer in to the terminals where the battery should be that might work?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Could be the rectifier gone on the board. It's a common situation on these panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭17larsson

KoolKid wrote: »
    Could be the rectifier gone on the board. It's a common situation on these panels.

Is it easily replaceable or is it time to just get a new panel?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

In a lot of cases it's the solder joint on the rectifier. Given the age of the system I wouldn't spend much time or money on it.

• Advertisement

17larsson wrote: »
    Alright thanks Altor,
    Yeah there must be something wrong with the board, it's a shame because it works perfect when the battery is fully charged and connected. As it works off the battery I wonder if I put the output of the transformer in to the terminals where the battery should be that might work?

Might blow something else doing it that way. The better option if everything else is working would be to replace the control panel and keypad with a more modern control panel. Always look for the hybrid option as this will allow you add wire free devices at a later date if needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorg1435

Hi guys,

Got a power cut today and our old vista-5 has been going off all morning. If you could send me the manual I would greatly appreciate it. Also some advice if there is any going! I have removed the battery from the Alarm box (it's still getting power) and the code we used to enter to turn the alarm off (0 CODE #) doesn't seen to work any more. All that's on the display is "_". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of just removing the battery from up above at this stage. Have another alarm installed.
    Ps. I'm pretty just the scopetronic alarm is on the fritz for the last number of years!

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorg1435

Hi guys,

Got a power cut today and our old vista-5 has been going off all morning. If you could send me the manual I would greatly appreciate it. Also some advice if there is any going! I have removed the battery from the Alarm box (it's still getting power) and the code we used to enter to turn the alarm off (0 CODE #) doesn't seen to work any more. All that's on the display is "_". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of just removing the battery from up above at this stage. Have another alarm installed.
    Ps. I'm pretty just the scopetronic alarm is on the fritz for the last number of years!

Thanks in advance.

Update... I removed the fuse. Seemed to solve the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stuartkee

If you have a Vista 5 installed you are not covered by the house insurance as it doesn't comply with standards also it doesn't do most of the stuff modern alarms should. It's like having a TV from 20 years ago and asking can someone fix that things don't last forever. Alarms like TVs have progressed Hughley in 20 years .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

stuartkee wrote: »
    If you have a Vista 5 installed you are not covered by the house insurance as it doesn't comply with standards also it doesn't do most of the stuff modern alarms should. It's like having a TV from 20 years ago and asking can someone fix that things don't last forever. Alarms like TVs have progressed Hughley in 20 years .

I am still coming across insurers looking for IS 199 certification....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 JS76

Hi- I was wondering if that manual for the vista 5 was still available

Thanks

PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 JS76

Yeah- got it- thanks very much, much appreciated.

Regards
    Joe

• Registered Users Posts: 2 magnetono59

Hi Koolkid is it still possible to get a copy of the engineers manual for the scopetronic homeguard alarm system.

PMed you that manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Putt it there

Good oul vista 5 - the grandaddy of them all , a brilliant panel for its time and manys a year after !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 magnetono59

Thanks for the manual KoolKid was a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 donoghuk

Koolkid. Would you mind to send me the manual please for Vista 5

PMed you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pbarwich

KoolKid. Do you have the installation manual for the Vista 5? I have the user manual. I'm looking to completely disable it while I think about a replacement. It goes off after power cuts (battery or batteries I'm guessing), it interrupts the phone when dialling home (but doesn't cut it off which it should, so I'm questioning the wiring), and I've recently got 45 Mbit broadband from Eir, which works fine, but I know that adds complexity to the wiring mix. On top of that I've had a window and a door replaced and the installer left the sensors dangling so I can't use it anyway without spending cash, even if it wasn't out of date and non-standards compliant. That's why I just want to kill it for now.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

pbarwich wrote: »
    KoolKid. Do you have the installation manual for the Vista 5? I have the user manual. I'm looking to completely disable it while I think about a replacement. It goes off after power cuts (battery or batteries I'm guessing), it interrupts the phone when dialling home (but doesn't cut it off which it should, so I'm questioning the wiring), and I've recently got 45 Mbit broadband from Eir, which works fine, but I know that adds complexity to the wiring mix. On top of that I've had a window and a door replaced and the installer left the sensors dangling so I can't use it anyway without spending cash, even if it wasn't out of date and non-standards compliant. That's why I just want to kill it for now.
    Thanks.

Cut mains power to panel , open panel and disconnect battery . Job done .

Not sure about that. I'm pretty sure batteries are completely dead, but when mains comes back after a cut the alarm sounds. Your suggestion (cut mains, disconnect dead battery, restore mains) is very very similar to what happens during a power cut with a connected dead battery. Won't the alarm sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

pbarwich wrote:
    Not sure about that. I'm pretty sure batteries are completely dead, but when mains comes back after a cut the alarm sounds. Your suggestion (cut mains, disconnect dead battery, restore mains) is very very similar to what happens during a power cut with a connected dead battery. Won't the alarm sound?

Is the external alarm box still the original one or has it been replaced over the last few years ?

The old one's will stop sounding eventually whereas newer ones will stop after 15 / 20 mins.
    Not an exact science though as there are settings in the newer ones that some installers may change.

I never said restore mains

Kub; the outside sounder is as old as the rest of the system, so probably not time limited. (Except by battery life). But, as I said, I think the sounder battery is dead too. I'll run a test today, as in 'trigger alarm ->shut off mains ->alarm should keep on ringing on a good system but I expect mine to stop coz the batteries both are dead.' Putt it there: indeed you did not, so I'll have to pull the mains fuse (or live without electricity for the rest of my life). That's why I originally asked for the install manual, to be sure I got it right.

Kub; the outside sounder is as old as the rest of the system, so probably not time limited. (Except by battery life). But, as I said, I think the sounder battery is dead too. I'll run a test today, as in 'trigger alarm ->shut off mains ->alarm should keep on ringing on a good system but I expect mine to stop coz the batteries both are dead.' Putt it there: indeed you did not, so I'll have to pull the mains fuse (or live without electricity for the rest of my life). That's why I originally asked for the install manual, to be sure I got it right.

Its also why you should employ a trained , insured and certified alarm company to do it correctly for you .

Disconnect the fuse in the panel as well as the back up battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SallyDub2016

Hi Koolkid, could I get a copy of that Vista 5 manual please if it’s still available?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SallyDub2016

altor wrote: »
    Disconnect the fuse in the panel as well as the back up battery.
    KoolKid wrote: »
    PMed you that manual.

Hi KoolKid, could I get a copy of that Vista 5 manual please if it’s still available?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Boards.ie no longer allow us to share manuals here.
    As the manufacturer is no longer available, your best bet is to contact an installer who might have some to help you out with .

Advertisement