Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need advice

Options
  • 06-11-2012 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am starting a full time job in Dublin at the end of this month in the Pearse Street/South Cumberland street area.

Basically, I am seeking advice on places to live that are easily accessible to this part of the city, via DART or bus.

Ideally, id be looking to stay on the south of the city/county. I've looked along all the southbound DART stops but i'm just wondering am I missing some areas?

What bus routes come directly into Pearse St/Cumberland Street south?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would you be able to advise on a weekly DART ticket from Bray to Pearse Station?

Thanks a million

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What is your budget? Do you want a house or an apartment? Is it just you or do have a partner and/or kids? If its just you, do you want a place by yourself, or are you willing to share with other people and if so, with how many people? Hard to offer advice really without some more info.

If you want to stay on the south side of the Dart line, bear in mind that you are talking about some of the more expensive suburbs in the city. The closer you want to be to the Dart line itself, the more you will have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What is your budget? Do you want a house or an apartment? Is it just you or do have a partner and/or kids? If its just you, do you want a place by yourself, or are you willing to share with other people and if so, with how many people? Hard to offer advice really without some more info.

If you want to stay on the south side of the Dart line, bear in mind that you are talking about some of the more expensive suburbs in the city. The closer you want to be to the Dart line itself, the more you will have to pay.

apologies for being so vague, I am looking for a room that is all.

I don't mind sharing at all. I guess i'd be willing to pay anything from 400-500 per month.

Is there anywhere I can check DART prices aswell? I'd even move out as far as Bray if I could work out how much it would cost to get a return DART 5 days a week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why so far away? The city and the closer burbs have a lot to offer, I think your nuts confining yourself to the South only, lots of well serviced coastal places on the Northside, Killester is nice, so is Clontarf.

Congrats on the job by the way!

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Why so far away? The city and the closer burbs have a lot to offer, I think your nuts confining yourself to the South only, lots of well serviced coastal places on the Northside, Killester is nice, so is Clontarf.

Congrats on the job by the way!

Thanks a million for the reply. I'm not even looking for the aesthetic factor of being on the coast, basically looking for somewhere that will provide me with a really convenient commute. Ideally into Pearse Street Station, or a bus stop close by.

Thanks a million for the reply. I'm not even looking for the aesthetic factor of being on the coast, basically looking for somewhere that will provide me with a really convenient commute. Ideally into Pearse Street Station, or a bus stop close by.

Well, if your not interested in where you live, I'd say rent a room with someone city centre and walk to work.

• Advertisement

500 quid is a pretty generous budget. You shouldn't have any trouble finding somewhere in a really nice area, or very close to town if you are willing to spend 500 quid on a house share. Check out the Sharings listings on Daft. Enter in Dublin 4 and several houses in Sandymount are listed. It is a lovely quiet suburb beside the sea. Town is near by, and the pubs, restaurants etc of Ballsbridge are within walking distance. You could even walk to work in 20 mins and save on Dart fare. Also check out the IFSC. That is right in the heart of town too. It's on the north side but you could walk to the Pearse St area in 10 mins.

If you do decide to move farther out and Dart it in to work, the Irish rail website have fare listings.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198

500 quid is a pretty generous budget. You shouldn't have any trouble finding somewhere in a really nice area, or very close to town if you are willing to spend 500 quid on a house share. Check out the Sharings listings on Daft. Enter in Dublin 4 and several houses in Sandymount are listed. It is a lovely quiet suburb beside the sea. Town is near by, and the pubs, restaurants etc of Ballsbridge are within walking distance. You could even walk to work in 20 mins and save on Dart fare. Also check out the IFSC. That is right in the heart of town too. It's on the north side but you could walk to the Pearse St area in 10 mins.

If you do decide to move farther out and Dart it in to work, the Irish rail website have fare listings.

http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=118&n=198

Brilliant, really appreciate that link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

You could live in Inchicore or anywhere along the LUAS Red Line - get the tram in to Busaras every morning and it's about 5 minutes to Pearse St. Widens the scope of your search considerably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Or you could rent on Pearse Street. Great area to live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

With that budget surely you'd find somewhere within walking distance of your new workplace. If at all possible you should walk to work. It'll save you money and its good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I walk to Pearse St area to work every day and I live in Rathmines...takes 30/35 minutes tops....always loads of places for rent in Rathmines

Thanks a million for the responses guys, really crap time of year to be looking for a room though

scouring daft, students have alot the rooms taken by the looks of it. Looking for somewhere that has permit parking aswell

i'd have no problem walking to work at all, I've been doing that for the last 3 years. It seems the further south you move the more expensive it gets aswell, so it doesn't really make sense to pay alot of rent aswell as pay for the daily commute.

are their any other sources to search other than daft?

i'd have no problem walking to work at all, I've been doing that for the last 3 years. It seems the further south you move the more expensive it gets aswell, so it doesn't really make sense to pay alot of rent aswell as pay for the daily commute.

It doesn't just seem more expensive. It is more expensive. The suburbs of South County Dublin ( that the DART runs through) are the most expensive parts of the entire country to live in, not just Dublin. That is just how things are. No getting around it.

Is there a reason for you being so determined to live on the south side of Pearse St, other than it being so close to your job? If you were willing to look at the north side suburbs on the Dart line, you'd get much more bang for your buck financially. You also won't have to deal with the hassle of students possibly snapping up the bargains, as it does not have the likes of Trinity or UCD being slap bang in the middle of where you want to live.

It doesn't just seem more expensive. It is more expensive. The suburbs of South County Dublin ( that the DART runs through) are the most expensive parts of the entire country to live in, not just Dublin. That is just how things are. No getting around it.

Is there a reason for you being so determined to live on the south side of Pearse St, other than it being so close to your job? If you were willing to look at the north side suburbs on the Dart line, you'd get much more bang for your buck financially. You also won't have to deal with the hassle of students possibly snapping up the bargains, as it does not have the likes of Trinity or UCD being slap bang in the middle of where you want to live.

no im not a snob for the southside or anything like that, just figured seeing as pearse street is south of the river then I should be looking closeby on that side.

Having the car makes it expensive for me to live more centrally though, permit costs would be crazy. I'm from the midlands so id drive down home some weekends so my idea was to work in the city, live in the suburbs and escape via the m50

I looked into a place in clontarf aswell, id definately be willing to explore options on the northside where parking was possible and which may be short bus/dart journey or even walk

work in the city, live in the suburbs and escape via the m50

I looked into a place in clontarf aswell, id definately be willing to explore options on the northside where parking was possible and which may be short bus/dart journey or even walk

Good move. As long as your on the DART line within a reasonable distance from where you work North or South, it doesn't really matter. Raheny has mainly free parking, it's well serviced by bus and DART and has a couple of quick routes to the M50 via the Malahide road. Don't just settle for anything, you don't know what might happen when you move to Dublin, you could meet someone, get in to Dublin life and you don't want to be stuck in some kip for a year because you didn't do any research. Location, location, location etc... :)

Advertisement