Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4: First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Here Come The Pretzels

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Yeah but it's not FFA. It's team. I loved oddball FFA. FFA regicide is ok, not a massive fan of it tbh.

Man, I HATED FFA oddball. Different strokes...
    Regicide is ok but doesnt merit its own dedicated playlist.
    I dont know why 343 didnt just have a 'Lone Wolves' type catch all
    playist with regicide,KOTH,oddball and regular FFA as the choice of games within. Weight it slightly towards regular FFA and that would do me...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Played that regicide game type last night, fck me its class better than team slayer for fun imo.

Played that regicide game type last night, fck me its class better than team slayer for fun imo.

Yeah its good. Its the best objective(ish) single player gametype imo.
    Better than KOTH or what not.
    Theres an element of luck to it I think, but tis fun none the less...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

I just see SWAT has been added, excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Ok

I take it you all have realised by now that the flying companion bots for the Knights can revive them after you kill them ?
    So best way to take them out I find is take out the bot long range then handle the knight. Light rifle and needler are great combination - 2/3 of a needler clip will kill a knight. Of course i you are lucky enough to have a rail gun one shot will kill a knight. The other good gun is the 'double light rider' or something like that - not sure the name. Two shot kills of the Knight. Hard to find however.

The trickiest part is actually killing the bot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Just got the game today and must say that I'm loving the multi player, then intensity is unreal definitively up their with halo 3, its just so much fun.
    Will have to give the campaign a bash when i have more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

What where they thinking, I am so pissed at the company. My internet was down yesterday so I pulled the ethernet cable out of the back of xbox, and started playing Halo 4 proper as my last save was at the very start of the game, Played a good 4 hours and
    meet up with the humans
    then went to bed. Internet was back so I plugged in my cable and went to resume my campaign only to find that it must have downloaded a synced save file from the internet and over written my save file without asking so I am back at the start of the game.........:mad:

This is the kind of bull that puts me off ever playing it again. Be warned, dont play offline.

I take it you all have realised by now that the flying companion bots for the Knights can revive them after you kill them ?
    So best way to take them out I find is take out the bot long range then handle the knight. Light rifle and needler are great combination - 2/3 of a needler clip will kill a knight......The trickiest part is actually killing the bot!

Killing the watcher (flying bot) first is must, otherwise you're just wasting your ammo on the rest. 5 hits from a light rifle will kill one from a nice safe distance, then you can move in. Just make sure they're away from cover when you shoot first or they'll duck behind it.

Most of the places where knights are, it's hard to get needlers. There are only a few sections where covies and prometheans fight you at the same time. I find that the best way to deal with the promethean squads is take out all the watchers from distance, then move in and use a pistol or light rifle to headshot the doggies, and then rush the knights and empty a full clip of a supressor into them for a kill.

If you tackle the knight first, the dogs will make life tough for you, they're generally on you before you get close enough to the knight to be effective against him. It's easier to deal with knights without any distractions, and the dogs die quickly if you're a good shot. That leaves you with lots of ammo left over for the knights, and a chance to go scavenging and resupply if you need to without being bothered or chased. Knights generally stay around a certain area and don't come after you too much beyond that.

Finished the first 2 episodes of Spartan OPS, they're pretty fun I must say although they are getting a little repetitive already.

Delighted that SWAT is back in the playlist, played a good few games of it lastnight... it's bloody great on Complex and Haven

As a matter of interest how many maps did Halo 3 ship with?
    I seem to remember a much greater variation in the map selection in team slayer in that game.
    Its a common complaint, but goddamn those maps are getting repetitive in Halo 4.
    It could do with a smaller "Guardian" type map too I think. All the maps seem quite spread out at the moment...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Its become the norm now for games to with-hold maps from game release so they can release DLC and cash in further.

The fact that the legendary game edition came with 3 "future" map packs included in the price shows this. Pretty sick considering the money these companies already make out of game releases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I seem to remember a much greater variation in the map selection in team slayer in that game.
    Its a common complaint, but goddamn those maps are getting repetitive in Halo 4.
    It could do with a smaller "Guardian" type map too I think. All the maps seem quite spread out at the moment...

Haven is the New Guardian. Its a brilliantly designed map. A classic symmetrical Halo map with loads of sight lines and jumps/routes.
    As a matter of interest how many maps did Halo 3 ship with?
    martomcg wrote: »
    Its become the norm now for games to with-hold maps from game release so they can release DLC and cash in further.

The fact that the legendary game edition came with 3 "future" map packs included in the price shows this. Pretty sick considering the money these companies already make out of game releases.

Halo 2 shipped with 12 maps
    Halo 3 shipped with 11 maps
    Halo 4 shipped with 13 maps

So there are more maps with 4 than any other halo (Except CE , 13 also) so quit your whining. Also, it has Forge mode so expect some user created maps added to some playlists in the coming months.

Maps I would like to see again: Sanctuary, Midship, Narrows, The Pit all classic symmetrical maps.... Also: Lockout and Construct

I would have to agree. There are a couple of very good maps, but a lot of them are not suited to the game types being played on them, and a better variety of smaller FFA type maps would be good. I like adrift best so far. I was playing king of the hill on complex last night, it was a waste of time. Too much trotting about trying to get to the hill, not enough time actually spent fighting over it.

I also came across my first couple of instances of annoying spawning last night. In general i seem to be spawning way too far away from the action when i die in team games, so it's a big trek to get back into it and rejoin my team. If i wanted to spend all my gaming time running, i would have played track and field on the NES. Also, i came very close to getting spawn killed on one map, abandon, where the guy who killed me from up close in the centre nearly killed me again long distance as i respawned towards the back of the map.

I came to life right into a long distance hand grenade he chucked as soon as he killed me and was immediately down half a shield, and then came under another hail of fire from his battle rifle and had to leg it behind a tree.

Halo 3 got this so right. How can the 343 guys not have paid attention? Spawning should be safe and within reasonable range of where the action is going on.

Korvanica wrote: »
    Haven is the New Guardian. Its a brilliantly designed map. A classic symmetrical Halo map with loads of sight lines and jumps/routes.

Halo 3 shipped with 11 maps.
    Halo 4 has 13

Maps I would like to see again: Sanctuary, Midship, Narrows, The Pit all classic symmetrical maps.... Also: Lockout and Construct

Maybe because it was all new to me at the time, but Halo 3 still seemed to have a greater variation (not a greater number) of maps in Team slayer and Lone wolves.
    In Halo 4 I only Im only getting a choice of four/five same maps in Team Slayer and Regicide. I havent played much of the other playlists yet.
    Even a few more forge maps,ala reach, will do...

I'd love to see Zanzibar back. Awesome CTF map.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

What where they thinking, I am so pissed at the company. My internet was down yesterday so I pulled the ethernet cable out of the back of xbox, and started playing Halo 4 proper as my last save was at the very start of the game, Played a good 4 hours and
    meet up with the humans
    then went to bed. Internet was back so I plugged in my cable and went to resume my campaign only to find that it must have downloaded a synced save file from the internet and over written my save file without asking so I am back at the start of the game.........:mad:

This is the kind of bull that puts me off ever playing it again. Be warned, dont play offline.

pretty ****ty!

I remeber one time i was doing 3 on legendary took about three hours to do a level battery went on the controller so i leant over the console to get a new battery and accidently opened the new touch sensitive button on the new xbox at the time i didn'yt play it for weeks after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Would love to see snowbound and the pit brought back.

All the best maps will be getting remade in the forge. It's just a case of whether you've got enough online friends to play custom games on them :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

Halo 3 got this so right. How can the 343 guys not have paid attention? Spawning should be safe and within reasonable range of where the action is going on.

You clearly never played Narrows or Sandtrap against a good team. Each game had their issues with spawning. It wasn't until it became a recurring complaint on the forums that Bungie did something about it, so I strongly suggest you take it there if you wish to be productive [I sound rather ****, but I mean it in a constructive way]

Although it does get a little repetitive playing the same maps over and over again, that's always been the Halo way, I just feel that they decided to put more expansive maps in this game, and therefore these are too big to be played in IS. If I'm to be perfectly honest, I've only played 5 of the 13 maps as I only player IS and my connection isn't consistent enough to hold a BTB game. Oh how I dream though...

Not sure about the ending
    Surviving a nuke you are holding ??? Come on like

• Advertisement

Sorry if this sounds like moaning buuutt...
    I played some Team Slayer,Regicide,Flood and Teams Slayer pro last night and still same choice of 5 maps (only 4 of which were picked).
    Genuine question,what are the other maps like - Longbow,Meltdown etc?
    Are they too big for team slayer?
    If Ragnarok is a remake of Valhalla, and Valhalla was in TS in Halo3, then
    why not have it in TS in Halo 4?
    Are 343 trying to encourage people to play all game types?
    Some of the maps in Halo 3 were shared between objective games and Team Slayer eg The Pit,Construct etc and all was ok there in my opinion.
    Again not trying to labour the point, Im genuinely curious.
    I think because 343 got alot of things right ,that this map choice issue a bit annoying...

Slugs wrote: »
    You clearly never played Narrows or Sandtrap against a good team. Each game had their issues with spawning...

You're correct of course, well pointed out. Narrows was an annoying map, i rarely played on it, but sandtrap did have some issues with spawn killing. being sniped by some b**t*rd from miles away just as you spawn was very annoying.

Santrap was still a great map though. I had some great team objective games on it. Sniping across the full map from the top of the big sand dune was great fun, or taking out a whole warthog full of the opposing team with a splazer :D

What maps do people remember fondly from the last few games? I love the pit, lockout, valhalla, standoff, last resort/zanzibar, avalanche/sidewinder, ascension/pinnacle, beaver creek/battle creek, and ivory tower.

You're correct of course, well pointed out. Narrows was an annoying map, i rarely played on it, but sandtrap did have some issues with spawn killing. being sniped by some b**t*rd from miles away just as you spawn was very annoying.

Santrap was still a great map though. I had some great team objective games on it. Sniping across the full map from the top of the big sand dune was great fun, or taking out a whole warthog full of the opposing team with a splazer :D

What maps do people remember fondly from the last few games? I love the pit, lockout, valhalla, standoff, last resort/zanzibar, avalanche/sidewinder, ascension/pinnacle, beaver creek/battle creek, and ivory tower.

Avalanche and Sidewinder were 2 very different maps!

Much preferred Sidewinder!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Threads Merged. (Apologies if it seems a bit all over the place)

maximoose wrote: »
    As always, the biggest problem with the AI is the marines on your side :pac:

You can't rely on them to drive a warthog while you gun, cuz they'll drive off a f*cking cliff or park right infront of a wraith. You can't rely on them to gun while you drive cuz they won't shoot at anything and just get you killed. It made the mammoth level a lot more drawn out than it should have been.

:D That goddamn bit where the Mammoth stops
    and there's like 4 waves of Wraiths & Ghosts and the only way to survive is use the cannon on the Warthog! I was screaming at the TV for the AI soldier to just go away and let me do it on my own. In the end I had to just drive in big circles around the mountain until the AI had destroyed everything, took ages.
    That Bros to the Close achievment in misiion 4 sounds IMPOSSIBLE too.

Not sure about the ending
    Surviving a nuke you are holding ??? Come on like

My understanding was
    that Cortana manipulated the light bridge around Master Chief to protect him in the same way she used it to restrain Didact!

My understanding was
    that Cortana manipulated the light bridge around Master Chief to protect him in the same way she used it to restrain Didact!

Yeah but
    he was holding the nuke in his hand when it went off
    . Come on ffs

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That goddamn bit where the Mammoth stops
    and there's like 4 waves of Wraiths & Ghosts and the only way to survive is use the cannon on the Warthog!

Balls to that. Never EVER rely on the AI in halo. I used the
    tail end of the mammoth (where the ramp is) for cover from the wraith's mortar fire (which comes in from above). I parked behind it so i could still use the gauss gun, killed the first couple of tanks and hijacked a ghost and killed everybody else with it, then when i got to the bit around the corner with the power shield, i emptied out the first bubble, and stickied the first wraith to death from behind rocks, then i took out the elites and grunts in the next bubble, robbed their needlers and plasma grenades, and mopped up the rest.

Then i robbed the turret off the sniper tower over the other side and used it to kill the ghost, and used plasma pistols and plasma grenades to grenade the last tank to bits by killing it's power and chucking stickies at it from behind a rock. Then into the last bubble, couple of grenades, and a needler for the last elite, and bob's your uncle.

You know there are
    sniper rifles inside the mammoth too
    right? Very handy for that section, you can
    take out a lot of the major threats from miles away, like tank gunners, ghosts, and snipers for example, if you've avoided the temptation to waste all your ammo on the earlier sections.
    Avalanche and Sidewinder were 2 very different maps....Much preferred Sidewinder!

yeah, i agree, but i liked them both. The hornets in avalanche made team games very fun in a new way, and the splazer worked really well on it. Controlling it's respawn area often meant winning the game, because you could use it to harass the other side's birds. Air superiority FTW!!
    Yeah but
    he was holding the nuke in his hand when it went off
    . Come on ffs

I think there's a point being missed here.
    Whatever the librarian did to the chief to protect him against didact seems to have elevated him to some other level somehow
    . Remember how
    he survived the promethean ray that didact fired at the space station, vaporising everyone aboard but the chief was fine, and didact was like "wait...dafook?"

There are a lot of unanswered questions still, but i'm betting that that's got something to do with it. I mean you just don't
    survive a nuke
    ....chief or not....unless something odd is happening

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Sniper riffes and AI on the gun is the key pn that level with the mammoth
    I thoght it was the end for chief with the nuke
    Story seemed a teeny bit all over the place at times

Soundtrack wasn't as good as the previous and ordnance is slightly too cod like and so was the use LS stick to crawl to stuff and the not getting zoomed out after being hit BUT the joining mid games was nice...

few niggles that i was like NO that's not the halo way but they have to add something new I guess... 343 done a good job but it didn't feel 100% like Halo... It was excellent but didn't quite nail the halo vibe

Another question......the Gauss cannon is freaking awesome.....why do humans apaprently only have one and why is ont he back of some random warthog and some random mammoth on some random spaceship......:pac:

• Advertisement

-=al=- wrote: »
    Soundtrack wasn't as good as the previous a

In all honesty I can't remember the previous sound track but I thought it was awesome in this game and got better as you progressed

Advertisement