Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4: First Impressions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

It wasn't bad but compared to 2 or 3 it wasn't as epicballs

I remember playing 2 and hearing

I died on purpose to go back and hear it and immediately learned it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Must say it's definitely the best halo game ever.

multiplayer wise at least

-=al=- wrote: »
    Soundtrack wasn't as good as the previous...

Have to agree here. Marty O'Donnell left with bungie when they handed things over to 343, and although I only found that out when I googled it after I finished the game, I could tell it wasn't his score while I was playing through it. It just didn't have the same "feel to it". It wasn't bad at all and some of the atmospheric stuff it created was nice, but the music in 2 and 3 in particular was some of the best orchestral music in any game.

There's a point late on in Halo 2, where you're armed to the teeth and basically about to go declare all out war on the covenant, and an orchestral version of a breaking benjamin song called "blow me away" comes in on the soundtrack. The heavy guitar riff hit and I was like "ok, now I'm gonna kick some f**k*ng ASS!". It was a particularly visceral moment when the music matched what was going on in the game perfectly.

I didn't feel anything like that all through halo 4 :-(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Balls to that. Never EVER rely on the AI in halo. I used the
    tail end of the mammoth (where the ramp is) for cover from the wraith's mortar fire (which comes in from above). I parked behind it so i could still use the gauss gun, killed the first couple of tanks and hijacked a ghost and killed everybody else with it, then when i got to the bit around the corner with the power shield, i emptied out the first bubble, and stickied the first wraith to death from behind rocks, then i took out the elites and grunts in the next bubble, robbed their needlers and plasma grenades, and mopped up the rest.

Then i robbed the turret off the sniper tower over the other side and used it to kill the ghost, and used plasma pistols and plasma grenades to grenade the last tank to bits by killing it's power and chucking stickies at it from behind a rock. Then into the last bubble, couple of grenades, and a needler for the last elite, and bob's your uncle.

You know there are
    sniper rifles inside the mammoth too
    right? Very handy for that section, you can
    take out a lot of the major threats from miles away, like tank gunners, ghosts, and snipers for example, if you've avoided the temptation to waste all your ammo on the earlier sections.

Had used up Sniper rifle by that point :( That's a hell of a strategy though!

Agree about the music, the score to Halo 3 was one of the most epic I've ever heard for a game. I still watch the trailers now and then because of it and often hum it to myself whilst carrying out mundane tasks about the house :D

The bit where the Chief walks out still gives me goosebumps!

Loving the SWAT games, Got overkill earlier on and headcase :D loved it!

Finding that the old sticky grenades are not as sticky as before which I loved using them. Also Ive yet to see a kill from the grave which I was especially good at in HALO 3 with aforementioned sticky grenades.

Definitely needs to be more maps in the slayer matches, no reason why Valhalla is not included along with some of the bigger maps.
    Also needs to be more maps for use with SWAT game mode, seems the same maps keep reappearing over and over.

Haven't even tried the Campaign, prefer to do it in CO OP mode, much more fun.

• Advertisement

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Finding that the old sticky grenades are not as sticky as before which I loved using them. Also Ive yet to see a kill from the grave which I was especially good at in HALO 3...

I get a few. Generally when im outnumbered or someone gets the drop on me, and i know i'm going to lose, i give up shooting and offload all my grenades in the guys direction. I die, as expected, but i often take someone with me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Finding it's not happening as regularly as it used to though! ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah I don't think they are as "sticky" as previous games, does seem a little harder to stick players. Vehicles are a gift though.

I got an awesome Hail Mary stick yesterday from one side of Exile to the other which I'm very proud of :pac:

Team snipers....!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's been a few bits on Campaign where the level design has allowed for some short cuts, like for example, towards the end of mission 6 there's a section of platforms with loads of
    covenant, turrets and 2 or 3 banshees flying around. There's two empty banshees near the start, all I did was hop in fly under the platforms to the end of the cavern, swoop up, ditch the banshee mid flight and leg it through the door into the next section.
    This was on Legendary too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's been a few bits on Campaign where the level design has allowed for some short cuts, like for example, towards the end of mission 6 there's a section of platforms with loads of
    covenant, turrets and 2 or 3 banshees flying around. There's two empty banshees near the start, all I did was hop in fly under the platforms to the end of the cavern, swoop up, ditch the banshee mid flight and leg it through the door into the next section.

Wish I'd have thought of that was stuck on that part for ages :rolleyes:

Wish I'd have thought of that was stuck on that part for ages :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was pretty much like "Screw this!" after fighting through the other section with the
    hunters
    at the end. Maybe I just have no honour :p

There's been a few times in campaign where I've been thinking enough already, I want to see what happens next! Maybe I should do a play through on a lower difficulty first anymore. Still most of missions 7 and 8 to go yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yeah, I was pretty much like "Screw this!" after fighting through the other section with the
    hunters
    at the end. Maybe I just have no honour :p

There's been a few times in campaign where I've been thinking enough already, I want to see what happens next! Maybe I should do a play through on a lower difficulty first anymore. Still most of missions 7 and 8 to go yet.

Honestly I've decided if I get Halo 5 I'm playing it on easy :P

Honestly I've decided if I get Halo 5 I'm playing it on easy :P

I played through reach on a lower difficulty (probably normal) after finishing it to get some achievements. Highly recommended, it actually feels like MC is a super soldier. You can just jump in all gung-ho, no more sniping from a safe distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

I played through reach on a lower difficulty (probably normal) after finishing it to get some achievements. Highly recommended, it actually feels like MC is a super soldier. You can just jump in all gung-ho, no more sniping from a safe distance.

I've done this from Halo 1! I tend to do it on nearly all games I buy too. Play it once to enjoy it and absorb the storyline and then amp up the difficulty to get achievements and also helps prepare for multiplayer.

Played Halo 4 through on Heroic 1st time round and have started Legendary campaign now. Moved house and have no internet so have yet to sample the online yet. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think Halo 4 is definitely much easier than Reach, played through on Heroic and there wasn't any overly difficult spots, unlike Reach which has some very frustrating sections, particularly near the end.

I think Halo 4 is definitely much easier than Reach, played through on Heroic and there wasn't any overly difficult spots, unlike Reach which has some very frustrating sections, particularly near the end.

Definitely. I think 3>>Reach>4 in terms of difficulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,826 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I just bought this second hand in hmv.
    Does it need an activation code ala EA games to play online?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

maximoose wrote: »
    Definitely. I think 3>>Reach>4 in terms of difficulty.

3 was the easiest by far. Reach was a little harder but 4 is the hardest. Even on normal I have to stay back and snipe, there is very little ammo and weapons around so it's all about picking shots and shot placement. Halo 2 and 4 are the hardest of the series.

Halo CE and 3 are the only games that you feel like a super soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I just bought this second hand in hmv.
    Does it need an activation code ala EA games to play online?

Nope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Halo 2 is indisputably very difficult, but I honestly found Halo 4 relatively easy on Heroic. Surprised you're finding H4 more of a challenge than Reach, which for me personally had several sections in which I died countless times, don't think there was a simple spot like that in 4 for me. The ending wasn't as challenging as I expected - but I remember for sure the frustration of the last level in Reach on Heroic and Legendary.

I found 4 to be a gift on Legendary to be honest..

Reach was mostly ok, tough in places. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong as it's been a while but I remember 3 being pretty damn hard on legendary, especially that bloody Flood dropship level!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

3 was the easiest by far. Reach was a little harder but 4 is the hardest. Even on normal I have to stay back and snipe, there is very little ammo and weapons around so it's all about picking shots and shot placement. Halo 2 and 4 are the hardest of the series.

Halo CE and 3 are the only games that you feel like a super soldier.

Agree with this. Am almost tempted to lower it down from Heroic to Normal just get that 'overpowered super-soldier feeling'. Too many bullet sponges force you to sit back and just snipe.

I tried doing that a few times. Got smashed to bits by all the turrets, until I figured out that there were binary rifles (snipers) around the place, and took out all the gunners and elites first.

In fairness, that bit is very fun to do on foot too. Just take out the banshees first with a plasma pistol and stickies or a fuel rod gun. The man cannons are great craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Just finished the campaign on heroic today(1st time) found a few bits tricky but mainly taught it was handy enough. Didn't find myself engrossed in the story at all tho just saundered my way through it.

Where will the story go from here I wonder?

Loving regicide online and enjoying the spartan ops missions as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭martomcg

Anyone else find it a bit of a jip that you cant play spartan ops offline?

I'm currently without internet and the only thing i can play is the campaign.

Got all excited installing the 2nd disk for nothing :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

That's narrows from Halo 3.

New Spartan Ops are deadly ! Loads of vehicles and hunters !

martomcg wrote: »
    Anyone else find it a bit of a jip that you cant play spartan ops offline?

I haven't even tried that mode yet, i'm planning to give it a go over the weekend. Couple of questions:

Does anyone know whether Spartan ops episodes are on-disc content that's unlocked weekly, or an actual download that you can keep and replay, and if so what size are they each? My HDD is a crappy 20gb launch model and it's fuller than a fat kid in a smartie factory, so more DLC is not a good thing for me.

Also, can the spartan ops episodes be played whenever you want, or are they only around for the week they are launched? It would seem silly not to have them available permanently, but just wondering. i don't want to miss out on them.

Korvanica wrote: »
    New Spartan Ops are deadly ! Loads of vehicles and hunters !

This weeks chapter is definitely much harder (on your own anyway) than the previous two! Better story too, enjoying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Also, can the spartan ops episodes be played whenever you want, or are they only around for the week they are launched? It would seem silly not to have them available permanently, but just wondering. i don't want to miss out on them.

also been wondering this, realistically i wont get around to playing this properly until christmas so i hope i dont miss out on them just because i didnt get it at launch

Advertisement