Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parental complaints

• 06-11-2012 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

If a parent complained to the principal or year head about you would they have to tell you?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

In theory, yes. You are entitled to know that a complaint has been made, and entitled to know the name of the person who complained.

In practice, it would depend on the principal and also on the complainant. Some people will complain, but say that it is informal and they don't want it to go any further. You may not hear that they complained, but you will hear about the nature of the complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

If a parent complained to the principal or year head about you would they have to tell you?

it depends on the school. I have had year heads who would be on your side and others who would not.

generally, you should be made aware of the complaint. if they wrote a letter you will be shown it, though sometimes the principal will refuse to give you a copy, which in my view is suspect.

parents will complain out of concern, but also for the sake of complaining. if the principal is afraid of the parents then you should get out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if the principal is afraid of the parents then you should get out.

Or the principal should get out!But100% seriously Fuinseog that has got to be one of the real world ten commandements (pillars of wisdom)of teaching in Ireland today ,any more?Id suggest "Dont say anything at staff meetings till youve been there at least 5-10 years and dont say anything even mildly controversial till youve been there 15-20 "Sad isnt it ?!Oh and maybe , "Those who can , do.Those who cant , teach.And those who cant teach, teach teachers!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Depends on the manner and seriousness of the complaint. I've know parents might say to a principal/year head that they don't want to make a full formal complaint towards the teacher, but would just like to make their feelings known to another party ('on the qt' for want of a better phrase)so that if it wasn't just a 'one off incident' then someone would be aware that the issue has been raised before.

Basically the parent might say something like "I don;t want this to go any further but I'm just making my feelings known to someone else in case it happens again". So in my opinion, no they're not under any legal obligation to tell you (unless it was serious abuse or something!!).

In the general scheme of things though as a teacher you'd want to know alright, also if the concerns are passed on quietly and you get a chance to explain your position then it's a hell of a lot better than a parent shouting in reception or outside your classroom demanding to see you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

Armelodie wrote: »
    also if the concerns are passed on quietly and you get a chance to explain your position then it's a hell of a lot better than a parent shouting in reception or outside your classroom demanding to see you!

We should be thankful that theyre not!!!???

• Advertisement

In the general scheme of things though as a teacher you'd want to know alright, also if the concerns are passed on quietly and you get a chance to explain your position then it's a hell of a lot better than a parent shouting in reception or outside your classroom demanding to see you![/QUOTE]

some schools have a policy where the parents can drop by whenever they want and you are expected to meet with them, even if you have class. one school I was in insisted that the meeting should be wrapped up in 20 mins which meant that if the parent was stubborn you were supposed to crumble or it would be taken further. when you know no better parents and principals can bully you no end. you learn none of this in the dip.

I read a few books on how to teach, unfortunately they were american where if an irate parent is wandering the school you ring the police. here it seems to be entertained.

2011abc wrote: »
    Or the principal should get out!But100% seriously Fuinseog that has got to be one of the real world ten commandements (pillars of wisdom)of teaching in Ireland today ,any more?Id suggest "Dont say anything at staff meetings till youve been there at least 5-10 years and dont say anything even mildly controversial till youve been there 15-20 "Sad isnt it ?!Oh and maybe , "Those who can , do.Those who cant , teach.And those who cant teach, teach teachers!"

i have known teachers, including myself, who put up with all manner of intimidation from parents, principal and kids because they were afraid that if they walked out of the job they would never find work teaching again.its not worth it.if parents are anxious about their child and wish to contact me I welcome that and will meet with them if they are willing to be civil.

some principals insist that if a parent has a complaint they contact the relevant teacher. others will write a three A4 page rant to the principal and have no interest in resolving the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

some schools have a policy where the parents can drop by whenever they want and you are expected to meet with them, even if you have class. one school I was in insisted that the meeting should be wrapped up in 20 mins which meant that if the parent was stubborn you were supposed to crumble or it would be taken further. when you know no better parents and principals can bully you no end. you learn none of this in the dip.

Now that's just plain ignorance and demeaning. It undermines the teacher and also treats the disturbed class as insignificant. I.e. the one who shots the loudest gets all the attention. The whole school really suffers at the end of the day,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭Equality

Most teachers refuse to stand discussing a complaint with a parent during teaching time.

They simply say 'I will meet you after school at Y time in X location. I have to go in and teach now'.

Equality wrote: »
    Most teachers refuse to stand discussing a complaint with a parent during teaching time.

They simply say 'I will meet you after school at Y time in X location. I have to go in and teach now'.

you forgot the word 'permanent' before the word teacher. those on one year contracts or less are on thin ground and open to being used and abused. touch wood, I have had few meetings with parents in recent times, but I do recall when I had to meet them at a time that suited the parents and meant that I had to neglect LC honours class. it would have been interesting if the pupils had complained to their parents about me not going to class.

even now I will never meet parents by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

you forgot the word 'permanent' before the word teacher. those on one year contracts or less are on thin ground and open to being used and abused. touch wood, I have had few meetings with parents in recent times, but I do recall when I had to meet them at a time that suited the parents and meant that I had to neglect LC honours class. it would have been interesting if the pupils had complained to their parents about me not going to class.

even now I will never meet parents by myself.

I'm quite surprised the school would allow meetings during teaching hours. Is this the protocol that the principal encourages?

chippers wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised the school would allow meetings during teaching hours. Is this the protocol that the principal encourages?

they are hardly going to hold them on Saturday or Sunday. I am usually in school from 7:30am. come 4pm I like to head home. most teachers will have a gap in their timetable between 9 and 4 at some stage. if the parent is so anxious to meet it will be between those times but it should be a at a time that suits the teacher and definitely not time taken away from class.

whether the principal approves of this depends on who is calling the shots , the principal or the parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

they are hardly going to hold them on Saturday or Sunday. I am usually in school from 7:30am. come 4pm I like to head home. most teachers will have a gap in their timetable between 9 and 4 at some stage. if the parent is so anxious to meet it will be between those times but it should be a at a time that suits the teacher and definitely not time taken away from class.

whether the principal approves of this depends on who is calling the shots , the principal or the parents.

What are you on about? I didn't suggest a saturday or sunday meeting. I personally have an hour scheduled in my timetable during the week for when parents can organise to meet me. I'm just surprised that a school would allow a teacher to meet parents during an hour that they have class. And especially a leaving cert class as mentioned above. I'm not criticising, i'm just genuinely surprised.

Advertisement