Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early morning pubs in cork radio doc

Options
  • 06-11-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

HI,

As part of a college project I am putting together a radio documentary about the old early morning pubs that used to be in cork city. I would be great-full if people could point me in the direction of different pubs/people that would be worth talking to in relation to this

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The Welcome Inn on Parnell Place is the only one i know off the top of my head.

Think The Sextant once was also but not anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Not sure if the Idle Hour, or one of the pubs around the corner are?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Charlies ?? Think it's still an early house ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

who_me wrote: »
    Not sure if the Idle Hour, or one of the pubs around the corner are?

It is the one up from it the Marina Bar loverly lady running it I am sure she would have a tale or two to share.. Few characters go in there.. I dont think it is an early bar anymore as before it was the quayside bar as it is today a bunch of well unsightly people took it over, we had people peeing on the windows where we work (big window you cant miss it) barf outside the door, and i can imgine the trouble this lady had to deal with. Dont think i ever saw the lady who ran the bar fully dressed apart from a dressing gown..

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

The Fairfield Tavern opens early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Markcheese wrote: »
    Charlies ?? Think it's still an early house ...

It is, and they still do the 12 o clock clear out :pac: Got kicked out just 2 weeks ago. :D

2 active early houses in Cork City proper are Charlies and The Welcome Inn. There is one near the Idle Hour that doesn't serve early anymore AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Remember a few years ago a local sad case being booted out of a country pub at closing time.. And being told he'd head off walking into cork (10 miles away) to be waiting outside charlies when it opened in the morning... All for a pint (or more)

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Charlie's is a once a year ritual with us, what a spot

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Cartuja

Not so sure about today, but I remember all the pubs on the Parnell PL. end of Oliver Plunkett St., Parnell Place , Union Quay, around the docks and South. Main St. being early morning houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

It is, and they still do the 12 o clock clear out :pac: Got kicked out just 2 weeks ago. :D

2 active early houses in Cork City proper are Charlies and The Welcome Inn. There is one near the Idle Hour that doesn't serve early anymore AFAIK.

That used to be great craic - barmaid used to just get the paper, a coffee and sit at the other side of the counter until everyone headed off, refusing to serve anyone.

Welcome inn was where i used to do go many a year ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Welcome Inn, Charlies, The Catwalk (hahaha 8am in the catwalk) the pub on Georges quay, now an offy? The Anchor was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The Raven has an early license, but not sure is it used.

Pretty certain all the pubs along the quay by The Sextant have early licenses as well.

Not been to Charlies for a long time. Always pretty grim whenever I went though.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

What about Cashmans? Do they open early?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

The Port Bar down on the Marina was a haunt of the Apple night-shift - memories of meeting neighbours on the bus home at noon and trying not to slur :)
    There was also one on Coburg Street on the north side of the road not far from teh junction with Bridge Street - think that was the Iveleary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

yenom wrote: »
    What about Cashmans? Do they open early?

Nope. Never.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

gimmick wrote: »
    The Raven has an early license, but not sure is it used.

Mutton Lane has one too I believe but I don't think they use it except for special occasions.

Advertisement