Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantasy tax query.

• 06-11-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭

Let us assume that I win the 130 million Euro millions tonight.:D
    Let us further assume that I invest it at an interest rate of 3%
    This would give me approx 26,000 per weeks to struggle by on, ditto for tax [after various tax avoidence schemes] and ditto for reinvestment.
    Let me then buy or build a house for my best friend who is no relation [worth say 600,000 euro] and give it to him totally free gratis and for nothing.
    As I would have paid for the house entirely from personal [after tax] funds, would my friend be eligble for gift or some other type of tax?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 neverwasser

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Capital Acquisitions tax...

Are we talking about a certain Limerick woman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Yes

God, You'r a dreadfull chatterbox.:)

Anyway let me nip up to Weirs of Grafton Street and buy [with cash] a Patik Phillippe Grand Complication watch, costing again 600,000 euro.
    Would I have to declare how I spent this money [which had afterall, come from my post tax income] and furthermore would I be duty bound to declare that I had given it to my friend?

smcgiff wrote: »
    Capital Acquisitions tax..

Are we talking about a certain Limerick woman?

"The names in this story have been changed to protect the innocent";)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Would I have to declare how I spent this money [which had afterall, come from my post tax income] and furthermore would I be duty bound to declare that I had given it to my friend?

1) No

2) Yes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

Would the obligation not be on the recipient of the gift to declare it.

Alan Shore wrote: »
    Would the obligation not be on the recipient of the gift to declare it.

Shuush!
    These guys charge by the word.
    Or
    They're playing a game of Taciturn Tessie.:confused:

Advertisement