Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

November Sack Race

• 06-11-2012 7:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So then its here, the month when chairmen look at the table and peer through
    their fingers at the fixture list before consulting another list - that of managers who are available at short notice.

The hot favourites for the chop must be Mark Hughes and Nigel Adkins, the former has spent pretty big assembling a squad of medium level experienced mercenaries journeymen failing to turn them into a team while Adkins having taken his youthful Soton up with a thrusting dash has discovered that defences matter in the top flight. The two meet on 17/11/12 at Loftus Road, is that the game that decides?

Its hard to see anyone else who could fall to a panicky moment in the boardroom O'Neill tends to walk rather than get sacked, no one actually expects Reading to stay up, Lambert is bound to be given time.

Who is firtst for the chop? 131 votes

Mark Hughes
    0% 0 votes
    Nigel Adkins
    86% 113 votes
    Other
    13% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Looking at the reception Atkins got last night, and given what he has done for Southampton I think he is relatively safe for now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Ive a strong feeling if Mancity have a couple of dodgy results in the league then mancini could be out the gap quicker than the other managers!

Mancini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

O'Neill would be my outside bet, but voted for Hughes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,585 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I reckon Adkins, Southampton look absolutely woeful, QPR looks a bit more salvageable. I think they'd both be extremely knee-jerk decisions though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭PeterTwo

Thing is with Southampton is that they have one of the most inexperienced sides in the PL. They'd need to hire someone like Redknapp to make any difference, but I doubt that: (a) He'd want to go there and/or (b) They'd be able to afford them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given Redknapps previous association with Southampton its highly unlikely the fan base would stand for him returning.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Mancini to just edge it over Hughes. Not progressing past the CL group stage and maybe another poor performance or two in the league and he's a goner IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Rodgers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭Danye

PeterTwo wrote: »
    Thing is with Southampton is that they have one of the most inexperienced sides in the PL. They'd need to hire someone like Redknapp to make any difference, but I doubt that: (a) He'd want to go there and/or (b) They'd be able to afford them.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Given Redknapps previous association with Southampton its highly unlikely the fan base would stand for him returning.

Yeah was in charge there before and they went down.

I think Adkins is as safest as all those mentioned and I actually believe he will keep them up.

For me Hughes will be first to go. It's like he went into the local immigration office and the players out of contract forum and rounded up as many players as he could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Feels like a Xavi6 thread bar Brendan Rodgers' omission from the poll

If someone has to go, I think it'll be Hughes. Mancini more likely than Adkins too imo

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shame the poll isn't public, if Ajax see this out then the other option will increase :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

Ya I reckon Mancini could go if they get beat tonight. If they win its only delaying the inevitable cause they aint goina qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

Mick McCarthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

kensutz wrote: »
    Mick McCarthy!
    Stop that! :D

Since Adkins got the dreaded backing of the board today, I'm gonna go for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

City are still unbeaten in the league so cant see them sacking Mancini anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Feels like a Xavi6 thread bar Brendan Rodgers' omission from the poll

Steady on, I'd at least give it its proper "Are they done?" title.

Clever Mike with his spin to avoid a ban ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Is Adkins actually under pressure?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think it's hugely unfair on Adkins that his job is in question.

Granted, I don't know a lot about Southampton and their situation, but to take a team of their stature up from the Championship is no easy task. There is a lot of competition there. And to keep them in the Premier League is a very difficult feat.

If he had got them to the play-offs last year and lost and was plugging away on 20-something points in the Championship this year he would probably have no pressure on him at all - in fact many would be saying he was doing a very decent job. Yet they would be in a worse situation. It's a prime example of the 'Managerial Catch-22', where success comes back to bite you. This afflicted Rafa at Liverpool and heaps pressure on Wenger at Arsenal to challenge for the title with essentially no transfer budget.(http://backpagefootball.com/the-managerial-%E2%80%98catch-22%E2%80%99/34607/)

Hughes, on the other hand, has a lot to answer for. He has some players at QPR which can only be on massive wages. The amount clubs spend on wages is heavily correlated with their final league position, and I would wager that QPR are in the top 10 in the league for wages. They should not be in this position and it looks like Hughes has signed poorly. I would be strongly considering his position over the next 5 matches or so if I were the QPR chairman and if results don't change soon he can have few complaints if he gets the sack.

It would be a bad move for City to sack Mancini midway through the season imo, despite their Champions League failure. The reality of a job like City and Chelsea where a huge amount of money is being spent is that success is expected immediately. Mancini has benefited from the seemingly bottomless pit of funds, but likewise he might suffer from the expectation which accompanies it. However, City are still going pretty well in the League, just 2 points off the top and even by modern-day standards it would surely be harsh to sack him as long as they are challenging for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

it's a disgrace if Adkins actually is under pressure.

if 2 straight promotions doesn't buy you a bit of time then I just don't know anymore.

Hughes should be the first to go...an absolute chancer of a manager who I'm pretty sure thinks he's an elite manager too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

SlickRic wrote: »
    it's a disgrace if Adkins actually is under pressure.

if 2 straight promotions doesn't buy you a bit of time then I just don't know anymore.

Hughes should be the first to go...an absolute chancer of a manager who I'm pretty sure thinks he's an elite manager too.

+1

QPR have invested a lot for a team of their stature and the return has been shocking, the quality of football is woeful. In terms of expectations Hughes is carrying 5x the load as Adkins.

That said, I seemingly dislike QPR even though I don't have any distinct reasons - so probably a factor in my vote.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/07/nigel-adkins-southampton-swansea
    Adkins will remain in charge of Southampton for Saturday's home game against Swansea City having been granted more time to revive the club's fortunes after a dismal start in the Premier League

not much of a reprieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

They should have a real race for this :D

zUjuY.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I made my bets before the season started. PaddyPower had a special where you call first manager to be sacked before christmas, and first one after christmas.

I went with Hughes to be first before Xmas, and Rodgers after Christmas. I also put separate money on Hughes to be first gone, and also Rodgers not to finish the season in charge,

Granted I never thought in a million years City would be where they are, and their manager looking like hes cracking up publicly every single press conference he does. And with the Monaco revelations, looks very clear to me he won;t be there for the long haul, and could very much wind up gone this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

If you have brought the club up through promotion I think you should be giving the time even if you bring them down.

Look at Wigan and the relationship between owner and manager, no doubt if Wigan were to be relegated this season Martinez would still not be sacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

I think lots of managers are only a few games from being replaced.

MON, AVB, Hughes, Lambert, Rodgers, Mancini, all have teams that should have done better, all bar Mancini are pretty new to their teams, all bar Rodgers have brought in lots of new players but will they be allowed to gel, who knows.

I think it would be disgraceful if Adkins gets sacked. He deserves a season in the EPL after what he's achieved, even if they are relegated, no better man to get them promoted again.

Managers who are safe till the summer at least, Fergie, Wenger, Jol, Hodgson, Pardew, RDM, Moyes, Allardyce, Pulis, Martinez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hughes will the first to go unless they get a couple of wins in the next few weeks.

chris hughton was the favourite for this until last week but i still think he will be gone before long. O Neill is due to walk away sooner or later also.

Might as well throw this in here for the sack of it.

http://www.hasrobertodimatteobeensackedyet.com/

Ya never know with Roman TBH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I got Hughes @ 5/1 in August. I expect my PP balance to increase quite soon. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

GavRedKing wrote: »
    for the sack of it.

i-see-what-you-did-there-261.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Current odds on SkyBet

DwtVwl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

GavRedKing wrote: »
    City are still unbeaten in the league so cant see them sacking Mancini anytime soon.

But they are sort of gone from the Champions League ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

1 . Hughes
    2 . Mancini
    3 . Pardew ( I was stuck for a third name and Mike Ashley is abit bonkers )

1 . Hughes
    2 . Mancini
    3 . Pardew ( I was stuck for a third name and Mike Ashley is abit bonkers )

Pardew only recently signed something like an 8 year contract. Wouldn't imagine they would be to keen to get rid of him.

Newcastle are doing fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Danye wrote: »
    Pardew only recently signed something like an 8 year contract. Wouldn't imagine they would be to keen to get rid of him.
    Newcastle are doing fine.

As I said though Mike Ashley seems to be abit of a lunatic when it comes to decisions . Look at Chris Hughton his sacking came out of no where .

• Advertisement

Not even Ashley will want to pay off Pardew and his backroom staff from an 8 year contract.

It was a mad contract at the time but if it keeps Newcastle in the top 6 for that time it will be good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Some huge prices there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Brian McDermott's odds look a bit long to me... I'm a Reading follower myself, and hope that he gets the chance to stay on for another while. However, we have made a pretty poor start. A loss at home to Norwich this weekend and his odds will be cut pretty sharpish.

If the Russian owner is considering a new manager and backing him with a few sheckles in January, it would make sense to have him in place sooner rather than later...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Clubs who chop and change managers, unless bankrolled by a Sheikh or Russian Oligarch, ultimately go nowhere. Liverpool have done it for 21 years now and look where that's got them. Aston Villa the same. United persisted with Ferguson and they reaped the benefits. Everton have done likewise and are now a top six club - before Moyes arrived they were fighting relegation on an almost annual basis.

Sacking Adkins would do the Saints more harm than good. They should leave him be, if they go down, who is to say he cannot learn from the experience and bring them back up again.

Current odds on SkyBet

DwtVwl.jpg

Martin O' Neill at 22/1 looks tempting. I mean if your team cannot score goals....

Saints - draw
    QPR - lose
    Reading draw
    Sunderland - lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Bye bye Hughes I say. Redknapp in probably.

Still think it's a disgrace how Adkins is being treated.

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Bye bye Hughes I say. Redknapp in probably.

Still think it's a disgrace how Adkins is being treated.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was gone by the morning.

I think, and I hope Adkins will be ok. He, IMO brings a refreshing attitude to the game in terms of his attitude and for what he has done at Southampton he should be given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

mike65 wrote: »
    Saints - lose
    QPR - lose
    Reading draw
    Sunderland - lose

Southampton drew, though should have won easily. Defense went AWOL, again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I can't see Hughes lasting past Monday at this rate.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

IvySlayer wrote: »
    I can't see Hughes lasting past Monday at this rate.

Will he even last as long as the post match interview?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I'd say by 6pm he's gone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

He is 5/6 to be gone before Sundays out. Sounds like a decent bet tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Hughes has to be gone! So weird I thought he'd do well! Will they be the best team on paper to ever get relegated. Up there with WHU team anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If Pardew hadn't been handed such a lengthy contract recently, I'd probably have a sneaky bet on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

That_Guy wrote: »
    If Pardew hadn't been handed such a lengthy contract recently, I'd probably have a sneaky bet on him.

In fairness, he was always going to be up against it to replicate last season. There's always danger in giving out a long contract after one decent spell (Traps Ireland deal being one that sticks out here) but tbh its not a bad thing to have some consistency with the manager albeit I ****ing hate Pardew.

• Advertisement
Advertisement