Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mounted Gardai in Drogheda Town?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 7:35pm

Seen a photo on facebook and heard this (but didn't pass any remarks initially).

Anyone know what's happening here?

Is there a purpose for them? A one-off, or are they now part of the local station? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

They're not based in the north east but are used up there for public order. As such, won't be a permanent fixture...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Saw them yesterday heading down the Dublin Rd from Bus station towards the bullring. Around midday iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Not directly related, but anyone know what type of horses they are riding - they are absolutely massive, they are over 6 foot at the hip (dock?) - I have never seen horses this big anywhere else!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Saw them going down west street yesterday and today would love to know more if there using them for a higher visability in the area.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Meanwhile, in Drogheda...

walking-dead-horse-pic.jpg

Officer: Chavs! Hundreds of dirty, filty chavs! Stay away from ma horse!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭kormak

Saw them yesterday heading down the Dublin Rd from Bus station towards the bullring. Around midday iirc.
    I saw them too and that exact place around midday!! looked very random

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

positron wrote: »
    Not directly related, but anyone know what type of horses they are riding - they are absolutely massive, they are over 6 foot at the hip (dock?) - I have never seen horses this big anywhere else!
    The garda horses are usually Irish drafts. Horses are measured at the withers, the place where the neck meets the back. The horses in the unit are usually about 168cm or so and are good stocky builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

positron wrote: »

A bit ot also but their names are Doris and Rory they are visiting schools too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭highlandseoghan

Noticed the guards were back around the town today on the horses. Would love to know if this is a permanent thing for drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Saw them heading up Palace street today, I think they were going up to the schools at Sundays Gate at 2.45. They left horse sh** on West Street opposite the post office, wonder if the litter warden will be after them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

I remember this happening in Dundalk about 2/3 years ago,all part of a AGS "In the community" programme.Seems to be a roadshow/circus sort of an effort,prob won't be there next week.

Advertisement