Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Word 2010 - Where to get for free?

Options
  • 06-11-2012 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi folks,

My trial version of Microsoft Word 2007 has ran out and I am wondering how do I upgrade to Word 2010 without having to spend a fortune on the complete package.

Can I get a disk off someone to upload it on my laptop or how do I go about it.

Need it a.s.a.p for college work..

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭RADIUS

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/try/

Office 2010 trial for 60 days.

This should get you by.

There is also Open Office which is a free and complete office suite but can be a royal pain in the ass to get the spell check working properly.

http://www.openoffice.org/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Mod note: Discussing of pirating Microsoft Office is obviously not ok but feel free to suggest the legal and free alternatives :) .

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,464 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Microsoft have special licenses for students. Here's a fairly complete version of Office 2010 (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook) for under €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Why do ppl ask where to get stuff for free? It's against the law to download software that needs to be paid for SOPA comes to mind..

<snip>

Mod: Next person to offer downloading advice gets an infraction.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Do I leave the quotes around torrent?

• Registered Users Posts: 83,341 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Purchasing Office 2010 now gets you the license for the analog of whichever version you buy in the 2013 edition for Free. Eg. Buy 2010 Home get 2013 Home for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

stay away from MS 2010 pirate copies... they still havent found a proper way to do it and anyway most of them have viruses and if ya dont no what your doing you'll end up with no machine!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Unless you want access , just download open office nothing in 2010 is special

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Just get a hotmail account and use the online/browser edition for free, or the university edition is 99 dollar and you can use it on two pc's.
    You can't get much better value than that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Kizzonian

Have you considered using google docs? You dont need to download anything, you just use there web application which is handy and will do the job for essays or things like that no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

No discussion of piracy or suggestion that it's safe or a good idea please.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

Hi guys,

I have no intention of piracy or anything.. the only reason I need Word 2010 is that all the computers is college use Word 2010 and if I use anything older, all the formatting is different.

So that's the only reason I need Word 2010.

Can I get a disk off someone and upload it to my computer or are the disks only able to be used once on the one computer??

I got the 60 day trial version of Word 2010 off the Microsoft website but need the full version for when it runs out.

Do I have to buy it or can it be got elsewhere?

Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

ClarkyTrd wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I have no intention of piracy or anything.. the only reason I need Word 2010 is that all the computers is college use Word 2010 and if I use anything older, all the formatting is different.

So that's the only reason I need Word 2010.

Can I get a disk off someone and upload it to my computer or are the disks only able to be used once on the one computer??

I got the 60 day trial version of Word 2010 off the Microsoft website but need the full version for when it runs out.

Do I have to buy it or can it be got elsewhere?

Thank You!

That would be illegal. Yes, you have to buy it. There is a free version that can be used online if you have a windows live account.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭ClarkyTrd

GarIT wrote: »
    That would be illegal. Yes, you have to buy it. There is a free version that can be used online if you have a windows live account.

That's perfect, thats all I needed to know! I may start saving so :p

Thanks a million :)

better in the long run buy it!! had a dodgy copy one time... next thing project due and the damn thing figured it was dodgy so it completely stopped working. I could read documents but not edit them

.... Also you have to make sure the old trial is completely removed otherwise it will conflict with any type of a dodgy copy..

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

All retail versions even the student versions can be used more than once. My student copy was licenced for either 2 or 3 computers. If any of your friends are in the same boat I'd go halfs on it. Or better still of someone already has a retail copy July could probably get a legit copy of office for the price of a few cans. Some places like pcworld and Harvey Norman used to push home an student retail versions and a laptop bag as a 'starter kit' to anyone buying a laptop so somebody may have it without realising! Chances are if it came in a hard box instead of a few paper sleeves it'll be a retail version with a spare license. Now go out and start mooching!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

For the hassle of it all... easier take a spin to PC world or somewhere and buy it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,341 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The only legitimate way I know to get it free is working in electronic retail :) the next cheapest option is work for a company that has a volume licensing agreement, and you can usually buy it as an accommodation for around a tenner. Otherwise, pony up for the full version, well worth it in the long run, I was delighted when I stumbled upon some excel features that let me plot all my physics data and converts it into slope formula for me, so I don't have to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

jumbone wrote: »
    All retail versions even the student versions can be used more than once. My student copy was licenced for either 2 or 3 computers. If any of your friends are in the same boat I'd go halfs on it. Or better still of someone already has a retail copy July could probably get a legit copy of office for the price of a few cans. Some places like pcworld and Harvey Norman used to push home an student retail versions and a laptop bag as a 'starter kit' to anyone buying a laptop so somebody may have it without realising! Chances are if it came in a hard box instead of a few paper sleeves it'll be a retail version with a spare license. Now go out and start mooching!

This is piracy, the 3 licenses are for use on three of your own machines, the easiest way to get office is to buy your own license, or else download LibreOffice or some alternative.

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Overheal wrote: »
    the next cheapest option is work for a company that has a volume licensing agreement, .

mine does and I have access to all it's lovely goodness Bwhahahahahahaha!!

Advertisement