Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Phonewatch GSM unit concerns

Options
  • 06-11-2012 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered on here but I couldn't find an exact answer. I've trawled through threads about the concerns of using GSM monitoring over a landline and the main concern I could find was that potential thieves could use a GSM blocker to disrupt the unit from calling phonewatch/the police when it goes off. This is a risk I'm willing to live with but one I'm not would be the risk of the dialler not working in the case of a power outage. Does the GSM dialler have a built in backup in case of this happening?

I know part of the reason eircom won't allow monitoring through UPC is because of a power outage (as well as presumably to give customers the option of continuing to pay the phone line charge or €150 for the unit) so I'm assuming this is something that's covered by the GSM unit?

Sorry for the long post for what is presumably a simple question! Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

The unit is backed up by the panels back up battery. This is the case with most GSM units.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this has been covered on here but I couldn't find an exact answer. I've trawled through threads about the concerns of using GSM monitoring over a landline and the main concern I could find was that potential thieves could use a GSM blocker to disrupt the unit from calling phonewatch/the police when it goes off. This is a risk I'm willing to live with but one I'm not would be the risk of the dialler not working in the case of a power outage. Does the GSM dialler have a built in backup in case of this happening?

I know part of the reason eircom won't allow monitoring through UPC is because of a power outage (as well as presumably to give customers the option of continuing to pay the phone line charge or €150 for the unit) so I'm assuming this is something that's covered by the GSM unit?

Sorry for the long post for what is presumably a simple question! Thanks!

The GSM is a new world GSM. It has its own back up supply for if the mains is off. A 12V 7 Amp battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Thanks guys, that eases my concern!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

grimm2005 wrote: »
    Thanks guys, that eases my concern!

Your welcome, any other questions let us know.

Advertisement