Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man City v Ajax

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

lala88 wrote: »
    Man City fans haven't been this upset since the 2008 Champions League final!

Did you come up with that one yourself? If so, it's a classic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Not a mention of the penalty city got against Dortmund .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

The linesman called it correct at the end - it was just offside

The penalty incident invoved both players manhandling each other, could easily have been a free to Ajax. The ref just had enough and it was way past the 3 minute mark

Mancini at the end was stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Honestly but what the hell are the officials on the by-line for ?

Every game I have seen they are about as useful as ornaments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Jax Teller wrote: »
    Not a mention of the penalty city got against Dortmund .

So? There was enough talk about it at the time

A stone-waller was turned down tonight. But that's grand cos they got a handy one earlier on in the comp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Real Madrid making hard work of this group.

Had City won it would of made next 2 games much more interesting.

Ajax to beat Dortmund, and City to beat Real, would make final day very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

City were absolutely robbed and it's hilarious.

The linesman called it correct at the end - it was just offside

The penalty incident invoved both players manhandling each other, could easily have been a free to Ajax. The ref just had enough and it was way past the 3 minute mark

Mancini at the end was stupid

On the ITV footage the ball had already been given. Just. Was a very poor shot though. I'm convinced he was on. The replay they showed during game seemed to show it.

There was nothing in Balo's "challenge". Your man basically pulled the shirt off him though

Pro. F wrote: »
    Mancini and those players should get a ban for the way they were abusing the officials at the end.

I disagree. If the officials are incompetent then they should expect some very pissed off reactions at full time in the heat of the moment. As long as it doesn't get physical then it's fine by me. It's not like they'll be retrospectively taken to task by Uefa or anything.

Every club is guilty of doing it at some point so there's no moral high ground or finger pointing to be done here.

This is great:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,318 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Some really stupid questions from the ITV guy interviewing Mancini

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Did you come up with that one yourself? If so, it's a classic!

Would that not be a good thing? No? You know you've been a fan for years, and then knowing people have stopped supporting your main rivals to support the team you follow, would seem like u should be loving it?

Mancini and those players should get a ban for the way they were abusing the officials at the end.

Would not be first team to do it. United have done it. Actually you could say every team has.

Can't be doing this in the box in the last minute, stupid defending and he got away with it

A7DIqC3CcAAP7kl.jpg

Would not be first team to do it. United have done it. Actually you could say every team has.

Exactly.

You have to remember that one decision has eliminated his team from the comp. They may not have qualified yes but its hard to take.

I was fuming myself watching it and I'm a non-City fan. Just like seeing the English teams do well in Europe. Can't imagine how he felt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

City players and manager going at the ref at the end of the game was poor form. . . .

Ive no sympathy for City. With the quality of players they have they shouldnt be fumbling around trying to beat Ajax in Europes premier competition . . They were also blessed they got anything against Dortmund . .

That said, they could still Liverpool it and win last two games and use it as a platform for success.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I disagree. If the officials are incompetent then they should expect some very pissed off reactions at full time in the heat of the moment. As long as it doesn't get physical then it's fine by me. It's not like they'll be retrospectively taken to task by Uefa or anything.

Every club is guilty of doing it at some point so there's no moral high ground or finger pointing to be done here.

I know well that other teams do it. The sport is an absolute shambles and it's a disgrace the way officials are treated. Football promotes petulant childish behavior from its participants by allowing this sort of nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Should never have got that far. What about the high challenge by Augero. Straight red for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Exactly.

You have to remember that one decision has eliminated his team from the comp. They may not have qualified yes but its hard to take.

I was fuming myself watching it and I'm a non-City fan. Just like seeing the English teams do well in Europe. Can't imagine how he felt

Nope, shít defending has done that. But that one decision will provide an effective way of deflecting attention away from that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I know well that other teams do it. The sport is an absolute shambles and it's a disgrace the way officials are treated. Football promotes petulant childish behavior from its participants by allowing this sort of nonsense.

Very true.
    When you compare it to the refs for the egg chasers its bizarre.

Yes I agree there.

I just think it would be unfair just pick out City when others have done it in past.

Even though Respect for Refs over years has not been great shall we put it, its become out of order in last few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Leiva wrote: »
    Very true.
    Childish behaviour indeed.

Only two clubs have managed to qualify for the the next round of the Champions League having had two points after four matches: Lokomotiv Moscow in 2002/03 and FC Porto in 2004/05

I am actually surprised that there has been 2 clubs if im honest.

Terrible from officials again.

Wake up Blatter.

Yes I agree there.

I just think it would be unfair just pick out City when others have done it in past.

Even though Respect for Refs over years has not been great shall we put it, its become out of order in last few seasons.

The only reason I posted it there now is because I saw it on TV3 and it seemed extreme. I suppose I'm just more used to seeing the other forms of this nonsense, like Fergie shouting at fourth officials and things like that. But I think all those other things should be punished too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,990 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Its hard to feel sorry for a super rich club but I do tonight. They had the win taken away by the officials twice imo. Perfectly good goal disallowed and a panalty not given that was plain for all to see should have been.

I don't mind the players being annoyed at the end after those two decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Just seen the penalty incident. Bloody hell. What a waste that extra official is. An absolute embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

keano_afc wrote: »
    Just seen the penalty incident. Bloody hell. What a waste that extra official is. An absolute embarrassment.

those extra officials cannot flag the referee and only answer questions when asked via mic afaik. they always look like they are doing nothing even when their opinion is making the referees mind up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

We didn't do enough to win. Simples. Shocking defending again, especially the first goal. You can't defend like that.

The ref was poor but blaming decisions only hides the fact we aren't playing good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Hmmmm what's up with City this season

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Dempsey wrote: »
    those extra officials cannot flag the referee and only answer questions when asked via mic afaik. they always look like they are doing nothing even when their opinion is making the referees mind up!

The ref looked to the guy on the line and the guy on the line waved his hands and shook his head no, they showed it on ITV.

Seaneh wrote: »

The ref looked to the guy on the line and the guy on the line waved his hands and shook his head no, they showed it on ITV.

the ref must have asked him then! afaik they cannot make gestures a la a linesman does when they spot something. the likes of tv3 and rte talk like they expect them to be waving their hands when they see a foul, which is not fair on them as their role is well defined in the rulebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I actually don't think it was a penalty. Balotelli is as much fouling the centre half as the centre half is fouling him.

Saying that, they were robbed for the 'offside'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Leiva wrote: »
    Very true.

Its a lot easier to enforce in rugby though, a ten yard penalty is huge in rugby, or just a penalty for back chat is a big bonus to the opposition. A free kick or ten yards in football make little difference.

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its a lot easier to enforce in rugby though, a ten yard penalty is huge in rugby, or just a penalty for back chat is a big bonus to the opposition. A free kick or ten yards in football make little difference.

The rules could be easily altered to suit football.

Say a free kick is awarded in the middle third of the pitch, if the transgressing team back chats to the ref then the team taking the free kick can place it anywhere they choose. Or yellow cards for back chat. Or free kicks in non threatening areas changed to corner kicks if there's back chat. Or sin bin for back chat.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head. Something could be found that works well enough for football imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,674 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

the whole idea of airing the refs mike might help the abuse they get.
    when the public hear the laguage players use live there will be a backlash. its not good marketing or role models for the younger consumers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Say a free kick is awarded in the middle third of the pitch, if the transgressing team back chats to the ref then the team taking the free kick can place it anywhere they choose. Or yellow cards for back chat. Or free kicks in non threatening areas changed to corner kicks if there's back chat. Or sin bin for back chat.

Those are just a few examples off the top of my head. Something could be found that works well enough for football imo.

I'm not sure about moving the free kicks thing it might slow down the game, but a yellow card for any back chat would probably sort out a lot of the trouble, it would mean a few people getting sent off at the start but i think it would work, would some of the refs have the balls to send off a big name player for back chat, i'm not sure.

niallo27 wrote: »
    I'm not sure about moving the free kicks thing it might slow down the game, but a yellow card for any back chat would probably sort out a lot of the trouble, it would mean a few people getting sent off at the start but i think it would work, would some of the refs have the balls to send off a big name player for back chat, i'm not sure.

I would think that a very short time limit - say 15 seconds - to move to the new free kick spot would be doable. For the yellow card option, the refs could be forced by a directive to issue yellows for dissent. Either way, there are so many options for how to stop dissent, something would work.

Either way, there are so many options for how to stop dissent, something would work.

Yes its amazing Blatter and the boys at FIFA ave never addressed this issue seriously.

Refs take way too much stick for little reward if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Dempsey wrote: »

He's pointless then, when a guy in a gantry with access to replays can do the same thing. Having him there just makes it look like he's involved when in reality he's a patsy unless the ref asks his opinion.

• Advertisement

keano_afc wrote: »
    He's pointless then, when a guy in a gantry with access to replays can do the same thing. Having him there just makes it look like he's involved when in reality he's a patsy unless the ref asks his opinion.

You could say the linesmen are useless because the referee can ignore them. The reality is, it depends on how good the referee is and how good he his communication skills are with all the assistants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

They tried the 10 yard moving of the free kick for back chat in football but it did not work.

If the refs started issuing yellow cards for it like in the laws you might see it cut down but then you could end up with 8 V 9 in games or less until its sorted out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

cjmc wrote: »
    the whole idea of airing the refs mike might help the abuse they get.
    when the public hear the laguage players use live there will be a backlash. its not good marketing or role models for the younger consumers

They did that for an Arsenal game and the stuff Tony Adams was coming out with was shocking and there were no more recordings done after it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

On viewing replays the referee/linesman got both those controversial decisions correct.

They tried the 10 yard moving of the free kick for back chat in football but it did not work.

If the refs started issuing yellow cards for it like in the laws you might see it cut down but then you could end up with 8 V 9 in games or less until its sorted out

Out of interest, when and where did they try the 10 yards move?

I wouldn't have thought that just moving the ball 10 yards would work in football. That's why I suggested something more, like moving the free kick to where it's wanted by the kicking team.

I do think yellows straight off would be too harsh. You need a bit of progression each time players are arguing imo, like the way they do it in rugby. Otherwise I think it makes games too random.

All in all I can't believe that there is no way a useable system could be found, there are so many options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Out of interest, when and where did they try the 10 yards move?

I wouldn't have thought that just moving the ball 10 yards would work in football. That's why I suggested something more, like moving the free kick to where it's wanted by the kicking team.

I do think yellows straight off would be too harsh. You need a bit of progression each time players are arguing imo, like the way they do it in rugby. Otherwise I think it makes games too random.

All in all I can't believe that there is no way a useable system could be found, there are so many options.

It was definetly tried a few seasons back. A quick google came up with this:

A long time ago. A decade ago in fact. FIFA asked the English FA to experiment with the following law:

The change was introduced specifically to curb dissent, the amendment to the Laws of the Game and read:

"If, when a free kick is awarded, a player from the offending team:

(a) fails to respect the required distance and retreat 9.15m (10 yards) from the position of the free kick

or

(b) delays the restart of play by carrying, throwing or kicking the ball away

or

(c) shows dissent by word or action

or

(d) indulges in any other form of unsporting behaviour,

- the Referee will first caution the offending player and show the yellow card, and the

- the Referee will advance the free kick 9.15m (10 yards) towards the midpoint of the offending team’s goal line (up to the penalty area line).

This procedure may only be effected once at any free kick."

I remember Beckam giving out to the ref one time that he didn't want the ball moved forward, to close to get the over the wall and down effect he is brilliant at.

It was definetly tried a few seasons back. A quick google came up with this:

A long time ago. A decade ago in fact. FIFA asked the English FA to experiment with the following law:

The change was introduced specifically to curb dissent, the amendment to the Laws of the Game and read:

"If, when a free kick is awarded, a player from the offending team:

(a) fails to respect the required distance and retreat 9.15m (10 yards) from the position of the free kick

or

(b) delays the restart of play by carrying, throwing or kicking the ball away

or

(c) shows dissent by word or action

or

(d) indulges in any other form of unsporting behaviour,

- the Referee will first caution the offending player and show the yellow card, and the

- the Referee will advance the free kick 9.15m (10 yards) towards the midpoint of the offending team’s goal line (up to the penalty area line).

This procedure may only be effected once at any free kick."

I remember Beckam giving out to the ref one time that he didn't want the ball moved forward, to close to get the over the wall and down effect he is brilliant at.

I think I remember that Beckham incident now that you say it.

That rule as written there is not very good.

Advertisement