Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to charge for once-off payment

Options
  • 06-11-2012 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

I'm currently working full-time on the lower tax rate. In the coming weeks i'll be doing some freelance work for a company. The work will be at most 10 hours at around €35/hour. I'm wondering how i go about charging for this? I'm not set up as my own company and i'm thinking that this will probably be a once-off.

My first action is to estimate the work required and send them a quote. This will include items, hours, rates and descriptions. Should my hourly rate be inclusive of the 23% vat rate?

I'm pretty clueless!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

gnolan wrote: »
    I'm currently working full-time on the lower tax rate. In the coming weeks i'll be doing some freelance work for a company. The work will be at most 10 hours at around €35/hour. I'm wondering how i go about charging for this? I'm not set up as my own company and i'm thinking that this will probably be a once-off.

My first action is to estimate the work required and send them a quote. This will include items, hours, rates and descriptions. Should my hourly rate be inclusive of the 23% vat rate?

I'm pretty clueless!

Do an invoice, you can get a sample from the internet. Unless you are registered for VAT which I don't suppose you are, you do not need to charge VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Do an invoice, you can get a sample from the internet. Unless you are registered for VAT which I don't suppose you are, you do not need to charge VAT.

Should i not be paying some kind of tax on that income though? I'm sure that the company i'm doing the work for won't be happy to pay me under the table.

Should i not be paying some kind of tax on that income though? I'm sure that the company i'm doing the work for won't be happy to pay me under the table.

You should keep a record of the income and any associated expenses and do a Form 12 next year. They company can use the invoice you provide them as an expense. Once you provide an invoice to them and correctly apply VAT (that is, charge VAT if you are chargeable person and don't if you are not), it is not really their issue if you do not end up declaring your income to Revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

You should keep a record of the income and any associated expenses and do a Form 12 next year. They company can use the invoice you provide them as an expense. Once you provide an invoice to them and correctly apply VAT (that is, charge VAT if you are chargeable person and don't if you are not), it is not really their issue if you do not end up declaring your income to Revenue.

Regarding the VAT issue, what factors make me a "chargeable person"? I am not currently registered for VAT.

Regarding the VAT issue, what factors make me a "chargeable person"? I am not currently registered for VAT.

You must register once your turnover from providing services exceeds €37,500 in a year (€75k for sales of goods). You can elect to register if you are under the threshold, but you have no reason to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement