Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving in Ontario

Options
  • 06-11-2012 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they've had experience driving and getting insured in Ontario? I recently started work and got my international drivers permit before coming out to ensure I could drive for 3 months to get experience before doing the test. However, now I am finding it very difficult to find any insurance company to cover me on a work truck until I pass the driving test. I was fully licensed in Ireland for 5 years and have documented proof of this so I can go straight into the G2 exam for the G full license here.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Get your G1 first - the theory test. When you pass that, book your full G, or your G2 exit test, reason being is that waiting times can be a while, so no point getting your G1, doing lessons, then booking test only to see the wait is about 4 weeks long.

And definately get a lesson or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I just failed my G test this morning - balls.

I got my G1 a few months back, then provided them with my driving history in ireland so i could skip straight to the G test.
    Now that ive failed that, I have to start at the beginning again and get a G2, then wait a year before I can apply for my g license again.

feckin sh1te

If you get your G2, you can do an advanced course through a driving school to reduce your G test waiting time to 8 months.

Do you know what you failed on?

One of the big causes of failures in the G test, is failure to gun the car on the on ramp onto the motorway. I was told to do this even if traffic on the motorway was slow, then slow down and merge.

It shows the tester you're not afraid to shift her.

Another thing is rolling at a stop sign,
    30K speed limits at playgrounds
    40K at schools.
    Failure to keep to the right.

Another option is to get to New Brunswick and swap an Irish license for a Full G in NB, come back to Ontario, swap NB G license for an ON G2 license. Simples

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

i failed (mainly) on not being aware of my speed.
    Not just on the highway, but also going to slow when the limit is 50k (?!)

Also, my car broke down 2 days ago and is in the garage, so had to borrow a friends who took me to the drivetest centre first thing this monring.
    First time i drove it, was pulling out of the centre on ym test, which didnt help.

Are you sure you didn't pass any schools that were 40k zones

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Jonty wrote: »
    Get your G1 first - the theory test. When you pass that, book your full G, or your G2 exit test, reason being is that waiting times can be a while, so no point getting your G1, doing lessons, then booking test only to see the wait is about 4 weeks long.

And definately get a lesson or two.

Passed the theory test there yesterday for the G1, have a 2 hour lesson tomorrow, coincidentally with an Irish instructor and then the G2 road test on Friday! Fingers crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Well thanks be to God for that. Passed the theory and got my G1 on Tuesday. Lesson got postponed till today, did it from 12.30-2.30, full driving road test at 3pm, passed it first go thankfully. Not sure would I have had a job if I hadn't as I need to drive for work so I couldn't be happier. The instructor said the things people typically fail on are not checking mirrors enough, every 5 seconds with an obvious head movement is essential apparently, and also not coming to a COMPLETE stop at stop signs. Best of luck to anyone else doing their test.

Advertisement