Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope for 303 Enfield

Options
  • 06-11-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭

What scope would suit a MK 4 Enfield,that won't cost a fortune.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Ronan, old floon - the OP made a point of it NOT costing the same as a small farm in Co. Mayo. Hawke make a suitable selection of economy-priced scopes - one of which would no doubt fit the bill.

@OP - if you intend to use this in comps with the VCRAI, please note that the maximum power of a scope in the military match is x4. So you'll either need a fixed power scope of this magnification, or one that has this power set-able for the comp.

B-Square make a no-drill mount as well.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Ronan, old floon - the OP made a point of it NOT costing the same as a small farm in Co. Mayo. Hawke make a suitable selection of economy-priced scopes - one of which would no doubt fit the bill.

@OP - if you intend to use this in comps with the VCRAI, please note that the maximum power of a scope in the military match is x4. So you'll either need a fixed power scope of this magnification, or one that has this power set-able for the comp.

B-Square make a no-drill mount as well.

tac

Well if you are not worried about the looks then pick up a cheapo chinese scope , it'll work fine , but why not stump up a bit more and buy a bit of quality that will last for years not make the rifle look ridiculous ? Maybe a second hand steel bodied pecar ?

http://www.emmacustomrifles.co.uk/WelcomeFrameset.htm

Any of the older Weaver scopes of the 1950's K4-type would look good, like the one that I have on one of my Swiss rifles. However, finding one in Ireland might be a bit problematical, hence my suggestion of a simple Hawke scope that costs less than $900 + shipping + customs etc.

The Weaver scopes appear daily on US ***y for around $120-150, BTW.

However, OP - the site that Rowa has noted has a great selection of suitable scopes that won't break the bank much.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

thanks lads,its for a friend of mine who doesnt use boards,he has a tasco scope on it,but the recoil keeps knocking the zero,he wants to spend around max €300,just something that will hold zero, 4x mag

• Advertisement

Well in that link i posted above there is a leupold 3-9x40 for £125, a pecar 4 power for £185, a weaver , a meopta. They are used but represent far better value than some piece of chinese junk with plastic lenses, and will have no problems with recoil from a centrefire rifle.

rowa wrote: »
    Well in that link i posted above there is a leupold 3-9x40 for £125, a pecar 4 power for £185, a weaver , a meopta. They are used but represent far better value than some piece of chinese junk with plastic lenses, and will have no problems with recoil from a centrefire rifle.

Yup.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭harmoniums

IMHO Vortex Scopes are the best for the money right now

the repros of the No32 scope:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=1289440&catid=11953

I've got a few in Ireland, if you want to spend a bit more, PM me.
    Its a fairly involved process to mount the properly, I've done a few now but it still takes a while.

My video describes the process here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nLreoTGIek

Uh, the OP says that there is eu300 to spend, right?

tac

Uh, the OP says that there is eu300 to spend, right?

tac
    his budget is only €300,can you use a higher mag scope in comps if you set it a 4x ?

• Advertisement

his budget is only €300,can you use a higher mag scope in comps if you set it a 4x ?

IF you promise not to twist that ring.....:D

However, with very few exceptions - the USMC Unertls were x8, very few WW2 allied rifles had more than x4 scope fitted. My No32 is just that.

Pity I don't have a suitable rifle to hang underneath it.

tac

IF you promise not to twist that ring.....:D

However, with very few exceptions - the USMC Unertls were x8, very few WW2 allied rifles had more than x4 scope fitted. My No32 is just that.

Pity I don't have a suitable rifle to hang underneath it.

tac

I've got a no4mk1T that's scopeless, want to buy it?

harmoniums wrote: »
    I've got a no4mk1T that's scopeless, want to buy it?

If its the real mc coy you'll have no difficulty selling it harmoniums, what sort of money do they fetch ? 5k + ?

Sorry, I'm limited to the eighteen I currently have here in yUK.

If I want another one I have to sell one that I already have, if you see what I mean.

Blame the previous-but-one Chief Constable - a female who liked neither guns nor those who have them. All in all a very strange attitude for a CC running the police authority in 99% rural county.

tac

rowa wrote: »
    If its the real mc coy you'll have no difficulty selling it harmoniums, what sort of money do they fetch ? 5k + ?

Circa $1500-2000 when they don't have matching scopes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

What scope would suit a MK 4 Enfield,that won't cost a fortune.

Meathshooter1,

What kind of mount have you on the Enfield? Has the receiver been drilled and tapped? Is the firearm a shooter, been sporterized, or a possible collector?

Also, what kind of work is she going to do: range, hunting, general merriment?

As I noted back there - B-Square make a mount that needs neither drilling nor tapping - that way you can retain the originality of the rifle.

tac

FISMA wrote: »
    Meathshooter1,

What kind of mount have you on the Enfield? Has the receiver been drilled and tapped? Is the firearm a shooter, been sporterized, or a possible collector?

Also, what kind of work is she going to do: range, hunting, general merriment?

A friend of mine owns the rifle,will ask him for photos,he has a weaver base on.think its drilled and tapped.he uses it target shooting and is original 1944,dont know if it is a possible collector?

A friend of mine owns the rifle,will ask him for photos,he has a weaver base on.think its drilled and tapped.he uses it target shooting and is original 1944,dont know if it is a possible collector?

Where was it made ? Long branch canada, savage usa, bsa , maltby , fazakerly ?

Drilled & Tapped = screwed. No collector would touch it with a bargepole now.

tac

• Advertisement

There are plenty of them still sitting on dealers shelves tac, they seem to date mainly from 1942.

None-issue holes mean it's not original any more - a collector collects un-holed examples.

A real pity if it's a nice L-B, but as you point out, there are trillions of 'em still around.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Unless the rifle is unissued, in mummy wrap, or just cleaned of cosmoline, it's probably a shooter. If it has been drilled and tapped it is definitely out of the collector's realm.

I have seen the bolt on mounts and were unimpressed. There's plenty of Enfields out there so drilling and tapping them are hardly going to disturb the population.

It would be nice to get a period scope, however, the mounts can be tricky and expensive. I was trying to get the original claw mounts for a K98 and they were more expensive than the original scope.

Anyhow, I think I would go with one of the standard scopes we talk about on the boards: Burris, Bushnell, Nikon, Redfield, Leupold, or the like.

She's a war gun and will shoot well inside of 300ya. I have seen them shoot fine out to 600ya, however, I think that's about its max effective range. Thus, you will not need big magnification for most of its shooting purposes. 400ya or less, any 3-9x40mm scope should do.

Maybe get something with mildots to compliment its military lineage? Also, I like shiny scopes on my rifles with wood furniture and flat on the black plastic.

If you've ever read a post of my you know what I would recommend: Burris Fullfield II. At a cheap price, there's nothing cheap about this scope.

Before you get a scope, have y'er man get online and check out the reticles. I have bought more scopes because of the reticle than anything else. Sometimes you just look at a reticle and it "clicks" with your brain.

Advertisement