Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sreen resolution and overall quality

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Just wondering whether screen resolution is the primary determinant of whether a screen looks good or not, or do other factors come into play? For example is it possible that a well made 1366x768 screen could look better than a 1920x1080 if the 768 one was made to a higher standard etc.

Also, just another question on a similar topic. I noticed that the 13" macbook pro has a resolution of 2560x1600. Does this mean that for instance that the screen looks roughly twice as good as 1366x768 screen? Also at such ah high resolution would the icons on the screen not be uncomfortably small?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

The quality of a screen depends on a lot of factors.. Yes a lower resolution may be better quality than a higher resolution screen.. Stuff like the contrast ratio of the screen and any color enhancing hardware such as pure black ect.. Will affect quality Also whether the screen is LCD plasma or led will cause variances in quality also it depends on the image it's displaying..and the distance you are from
    The screen.

For example playing a 720p video on a 720p tv and the same video in 1080p on a 1080p tv would look the same from say 10 feet away but within 2 feet you'd noticed the image will have more Pixelation on the 720p image..

With respect to the size of icons on the MacBook that's more to do with the font size on screen and the zoom factor of the os.. In reality anything over 300ppi looks the same to the human eye in relative terms so ultra high resolutions become pointless..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

One factor is what type of LCD technology the panel uses, such as TN (Twisted Nematic) and IPS (In-plane Switching). IPS displays tend to be much better than TN displays.

Personally, it doesn't matter if the display resolution is low. As it is, I have my taskbar on the side of my screens (both 1366x768 :() to try and get back some of the vertical resolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Crappy laptop resolutions have been in the news lately.

Ya'd imagine something should change soon, they're falling well behind. This has links which lead to links (yadda) that explain techie screen stuff fairly well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I find that viewing high resolution on larger screens is problematic.(Which is probably why the 13"mac can go so high and still look good)

For example, my 26" monitor is 1920x1080 but when i duplicate it to my 32" TV, it becomes a lot harder to focus and text becomes unreadable.

Size matters.

Advertisement