Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail Rail

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hi All

Heading over to Dublin the weekend after next. Was bit of a last minute thing and as the return flights were a tad pricey, thought I would try out the Sail Rail option for my journey back here.

Anyway, reckless ole me just booked my ticket in a flash, without really researching the Rail element of the journey. Have tried ringing the Customer Services at both ends, but having no luck getting through.

Can anyone on here enlighten me on how it works upon arriving in Holyhead? I'm travelling on a Sunday, so would assume I'd have to reserve a seat on a train.

Any feedback on first-hand experiences would be much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

The ferries are timed with trains to London so it's usually a smooth transition between the two (the rail station and ferry terminal are part of the same building).

Keep trying to get through if you want more peace of mind. Sail and rail is probably the only UK company I've come across where you can call up and speak directly to an actual human without much fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I hope you're not taking the 21:15 boat from Dublin because there is an extremely long wait in the early hours of the morning for the train to London. Unless four hours in the cold in the company of winos is what floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Heading over to Dublin the weekend after next. Was bit of a last minute thing and as the return flights were a tad pricey, thought I would try out the Sail Rail option for my journey back here.
    I don't mind doing the sail-rail from London to Dublin on occasion (I'll probably do it when I go back for Christmas), but the other way around is usually a little more complicated. Mainly because you typically end up on an over-crowded Welsh train service, which runs between Holyhead and 1976.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

djpbarry wrote: »
    I don't mind doing the sail-rail from London to Dublin on occasion (I'll probably do it when I go back for Christmas), but the other way around is usually a little more complicated. Mainly because you typically end up on an over-crowded Welsh train service, which runs between Holyhead and 1976.
    I think it's all down to timing, I came to London on it last year. It was a Virgin train from Holyhead to Euston with no changes and there was very few on it so I had a choice of seats. I arrived into Holyhead around midday and got a train around 14:30.

After looking back at my mails I realized that I booked them separately, it cost £10 more but it meant that I didn't have to change train with two large suitcases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

All the info you need is here

http://www.seat61.com/Ireland.htm

Great way to travel if you have time , I agree that getting into Holyhead @ Midnight and having to wait till almost 4AM for the Train to London is not ideal , I only did that ferry once but it was a Friday night and we spent 3 hours in Karaoke Bar and were well pissed by the time 4 AM came around ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

If it's the later one you'll have to wait around Hollyhead for hours until the first train in the morning.

If you know Hollyhead at all you'll no doubt already be shivering at the thought of that.

I often head to London using both rail/sail and the bus. Neither are exactly a cut above flying, but when it comes to one over the other I'd recommend the bus.

Just check Eurolines.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Man in seat 61 is a legend.

Helped me no end with London > Paris > Lausanne > Venice one year. One of the best rail trips I have ever taken.

I think it's all down to timing...
    Absolutely, but syncing the train with the ferry seems to be more easily achieved going from London to Dublin rather than the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

djpbarry wrote: »
    Absolutely, but syncing the train with the ferry seems to be more easily achieved going from London to Dublin rather than the other way around.

Defo agree with that, but if you book with Bus eireann then you don't have to deal with the wait in holyhead as you are on the bus, its actually really comfy and you can sleep. also arriving at 7:30 into London (quicker than the train) if you book it in advance (think its two weeks) you can get it for 50 euro return!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Thanks for all the advice folks....... Looks like I'll need to bring a good book with me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

if you book with Bus eireann then you don't have to deal with the wait in holyhead as you are on the bus, its actually really comfy and you can sleep.

I've done the sail-rail each direction about 9 times. The one time I got the 9pm ferry from Dublin, I got the eurolines bus. I was absolutely
    shattered by getting into Victoria at 8:30. I didn't get the train as the thoughts of 4hrs+ in holyhead didn't appeal at all! There was
    this drunk auld lad singing so I didn't get much sleep til he got off. Thankfully there was a 15min break, a few mins in Birmingham and
    30mins at some services. If I do it again, I might look for a cheap hotel in Holyhead. I don't think i'll be getting the bus again.

I've often got the 8:45am swift from Dublin. That gets you back to the terminal by about 1045 and there's an arriva train at 1123 or 1138 iirc.
    Doing well, you might get a virgin train. These get into Chester (lovely city) just after 1pm and I always stop off for and hour or 2, even if only
    to watch the football and get a bite in the Town Crier, directly opposite the station.

Then back to the station refreshed and arrive in Euston about 4:40 / 3:40 if you dont stop off. There's only
    2 stops (Crewe and MK) and the trains hit over 120mph. We should definitely have them here :D

thee glitz wrote: »
    If I do it again, I might look for a cheap hotel in Holyhead.
    Jesus no. Don't do that to yourself. Holyhead is quite literally a land that time has forgotten - you don't want to be spending any more time there than you have to.

Honestly, it's awful.

No, really.
    thee glitz wrote: »
    There's only 2 stops (Crewe and MK) and the trains hit over 120mph. We should definitely have them here :D
    I would imagine Ireland is too small to justify high speed trains.

One thing that hadn't crossed my mind about Sail Rail was the fact that the ferry might be cancelled.....which is just what has happened to me! Grrr...No way am I going to take the one tonight, going on what people have said on this thread...... (Thanks for the warnings...)

Ah well, another drunken night in Dublin then ...:D

One thing that hadn't crossed my mind about Sail Rail was the fact that the ferry might be cancelled.....which is just what has happened to me! Grrr...No way am I going to take the one tonight, going on what people have said on this thread...... (Thanks for the warnings...)

Ah well, another drunken night in Dublin then ...:D

The Irish Ferries Ulysses IIRC has never been cancelled due to the weather..

Yeah, it's the Swift one that I was due to go on. I think it's the Ulysees one going tonight, but don't fancy being stranded in Holyhead in the middle of the night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Ah there's worse places you could be stranded in. But the sea looks rough today where I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

I Came back over to London a few weeks ago, booked last minute with Stenaline for the whole package & the sales lady was most helpful with connection times on trains.
    I took the 8.30 Adventurer and she was grand. Conditions were prevailing & I didn't realise she had her stabilizers out until the Captain announced it as we approached Holyhead, it was that smooth.
    The train did leave 20mins late from Holyhead & the ticket conductor said we might miss the connection at Chester but in fact when we pulled in the Virgin train was on the opposite platform waiting for us so happy out.
    I brought 3 bags & a guitar & managed the whole journey in style.
    It is something fun to do if you can spare the extra time compared to flying and way more humane experience compared to airport security screening, particularly compared to entering the USA & the pre-clearance you can do in Dublin. You do meet some characters as well which compliments the experience. Probably best on your own unless your partner is also keen on an wee travellers adventure.
    What I especially appreciate is the avoiding the jet-lagged feeling you would get, even with short hop flights like to London.
    Going to try it again for coming back to Dublin at Christmas for reliability & cost reasons so looking forward to that especially. I doubt we'll experience as dramatic disruptions as seen in recent years but watching this space..
    Happy travelling all

hytrogen wrote: »
    It is something fun to do if you can spare the extra time...
    As said above, it really depends. The Chester/Crewe - Holyhead train can be extremely crowded, which is not at all fun. This can obviously be avoided by getting a direct train from Euston to Holyhead, but there ain't too many of them going in the opposite direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If I'm travelling to London overnight, I tend to get the coach down to Rosslare and the ferry to Fishguard (Not sure what is happening with the bus though, you might have to change now). the train from Fishguard leaves about an hour after the ferry arrives so there is no chance of missing it and then after a change at Swansea it is a straight run into Paddington via First Great Western. Gets you into London at about 7:30am

Well, the Sail Rail experience was quite pleasant despite the initial cancellation. However, the ferry was late arriving into Holyhead, so missed the train I was hoping to get. Luckily, I have a few days booked off work, so wasn't overly bothered by the setbacks.......but I would be hesitant to book the Swift ferry in winter again. It was cancelled yesterday as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

The fast ferry is always getting cancelled in Winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Lump wrote: »
    The fast ferry is always getting cancelled in Winter.

oh bollox. just realised i've booked that for my return after Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

I would choose this over a flight usually if its a few days break im after.
    its a great way to travel.
    worth upgrading the ticket if your on the slow one, get wine on the ticket and you've more time to drink it.
    well worth trying if you've never tried it before and have plenty of time.
    also , you arrive in the centre of London so saves the trip in from airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

oh bollox. just realised i've booked that for my return after Christmas!

If it's cancelled you just go on the slow ferry which normally leaves an hour after the fast one. It takes 3 hours though.

On the upside, a couple of years back when it was snowing and the airports were f*cked, I resorted to the ferry and it worked a treat. The slow ferry is pretty reliable.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I was on it last weekend going from London to Dublin, wouldn't do it the other way around though as the 4 hour wait in Holyhead is a killer! As other people have said worth upgrading to club class for free snacks and wine/juice/water ect. I've done both the bus and the train on it, and while the bus is handier end-to-end it's just way too long a journey for me, so I tend to stick with the train for now!

blondie83 wrote: »
    I was on it last weekend going from London to Dublin, wouldn't do it the other way around though as the 4 hour wait in Holyhead is a killer! As other people have said worth upgrading to club class for free snacks and wine/juice/water ect. I've done both the bus and the train on it, and while the bus is handier end-to-end it's just way too long a journey for me, so I tend to stick with the train for now!

The 4 hr wait applies to the Evening Sailing only , There is no such wait when you get the one around 8 AM from Dublin , For anyone looking for reliable information check the suggested routes on www.seat61.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm trying to book a SailRail return to Dublin, starting from England (Canterbury) but I just can't get the system to offer me the 08.05 Ulysses for the return. I've tried all kinds of dates and alternative destinations, but nope, it refuses to offer the ferry in the morning, only the Swift. Booking through Irish ferries seems to allow it, but that means paying their rip-off admin fee in Euros when I really really want to book the complete journey as a return priced in Sterling.

Any suggestions on how to force the UK sites to at least offer me the ferry sailing?

I'm trying to book a SailRail return to Dublin, starting from England (Canterbury) but I just can't get the system to offer me the 08.05 Ulysses for the return. I've tried all kinds of dates and alternative destinations, but nope, it refuses to offer the ferry in the morning, only the Swift. Booking through Irish ferries seems to allow it, but that means paying their rip-off admin fee in Euros when I really really want to book the complete journey as a return priced in Sterling.

Any suggestions on how to force the UK sites to at least offer me the ferry sailing?
    Easiest thing is probably to just give them a ring. You'll be able to book over the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

blondie83 wrote: »

If you book a single cabin it can be cheaper than club class. A nice sleep in isolation can be nicer than any club class freebie. Obviously there are no cabins on the Swift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I've left it far too late to book my tickets home for Christmas. There didn't seem to be any availability for an outbound journey (during the day) on the 20th/21st/22nd. So I've had to book the 19th instead. I could have waited until the morning to ring them, but I was afraid all the tickets would be gone!
    So if you need to book your ticket home, I suggest you do it soon.

Have they stopped doing the open returns? It wouldn't let me book one of those either.

Advertisement