Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail Rail

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭thee glitz

biZrb wrote: »
    Have they stopped doing the open returns? It wouldn't let me book one of those either.

The last time I booked over the phone (Swift both directions), I was asked for my return date, which I was unsure
    of at the time. When I rang up to book my place on the return leg, I was told that I was booked onto a different sailing.
    They wanted to charge me a €10 amendment fee even though I said I didn't know when I was returning at the time of
    booking. The return leg they claimed I had booked was on the Ulysses, despite the fact I'd paid the little extra for
    the Swift. They rang me back later that day and it was sorted. I'd give them a call now if you're not sure when you're going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

djpbarry wrote: »
    Easiest thing is probably to just give them a ring. You'll be able to book over the phone.

Turns out it was anything but easy - a combination of "the computer knows best" and engineering works on the route I needed to travel.

Fortunately someone (not a million miles from this thread) went above and beyond the call of duty and I got my reservations sorted out this morning. Nice to know at least one transport company still knows the meaning of customer service! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

biZrb wrote: »
    So I've had to book the 19th instead. I could have waited until the morning to ring them, but I was afraid all the tickets would be gone!
    So if you need to book your ticket home, I suggest you do it soon.

Have they stopped doing the open returns? It wouldn't let me book one of those either.

Im going home the 19th too and tried to book to it for coming back on the 3rd but it wouldnt let me either. Not sure if its something with the system or what......... Haven't booked it back yet because of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Just wondering has anyone tried booking with a train co. app? & how did you get on collecting tickets, boarding ferry etc.?
    Am looking to book London - Dublin & Stena do it for £38 single from Euston where as the app gets me from my local station to Dublin for £42 joining on the same train..

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Redbollock

im doing it on sunday, leave euston 23rd at 18:59 arrive dublin at 5:55am on the 24th
    suprising the folks for crimbo
    whats the banter like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

hytrogen wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone tried booking with a train co. app? & how did you get on collecting tickets, boarding ferry etc.?
    Am looking to book London - Dublin & Stena do it for £38 single from Euston where as the app gets me from my local station to Dublin for £42 joining on the same train..
    Just in Holyhead now. To be honest this is the lease stressed journey I've taken in ages. Booked & sorted everything by a smart phone, AMAZING!
    No hassle with tickets, booking or anything. Would recommend anyone to do this again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

Redbollock wrote: »
    im doing it on sunday, leave euston 23rd at 18:59 arrive dublin at 5:55am on the 24th
    suprising the folks for crimbo
    whats the banter like

The Banter is top-class! Myself and my mate got the same sailing coming home in late August. Bought a bottle of JD in the sainsburys beside Euston, had epic craic with 2 fellas we met on the train. Arrive in Hollyhead around 12 and went to a nice bar over the bridge from the terminal, stayed there until two and then stumbled onto the boat, by this time we had a crew of about ten people, and the bar on the boat was open all night! I imagine there'll be even more doing the same this time of year, best of craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Reillyman wrote: »
    ...a nice bar...
    You were definitely not in Holyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I did the sail-rail from London to Dublin yesterday and I don't think I'm likely to do it again. The train was late departing from Euston, absolutely jammed and then delayed between Crewe and Chester. Thought the worst of it was over when we arrived in Holyhead, only to find that we had to check in every single bag we had with us (that's never happened before) and about 95% of passengers on the ferry seemed to be under the age of 5.

Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Reillyman wrote: »
    The Banter is top-class! Myself and my mate got the same sailing coming home in late August. Bought a bottle of JD in the sainsburys beside Euston, had epic craic with 2 fellas we met on the train. Arrive in Hollyhead around 12 and went to a nice bar over the bridge from the terminal, stayed there until two and then stumbled onto the boat, by this time we had a crew of about ten people, and the bar on the boat was open all night! I imagine there'll be even more doing the same this time of year, best of craic!

you sound like every other traveller's worst nightmare for the overnight sailing.
    i came over last night, all anyone wanted to do was sleep. i'd say if you want banter, get a daytime sailing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Tried booking the rail and sail about 10 days ago and it was booked up! Just as well in the end as I surprisingly managed to find a flight that was nearly as cheap. It leaves at stupid o'clock so no sleep tonight.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

you sound like every other traveller's worst nightmare for the overnight sailing.
    i came over last night, all anyone wanted to do was sleep. i'd say if you want banter, get a daytime sailing.

Ara come one, an odd Sunday in late august, sure we basically had the boat to ourselves. We were in our own end of the boat not annoying anyone, get a life man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Guys, keep it civil. First & last warning.

never again, left on the 23rd had nothing but delays and missing connecting trains, gradually arrived in dublin 6am christmas eve, but coming back yesterday ferry was cancelled due to high wind speeds, left dublin at 9pm arrived london 845am

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Redbollock wrote: »
    never again, left on the 23rd had nothing but delays and missing connecting trains, gradually arrived in dublin 6am christmas eve, but coming back yesterday ferry was cancelled due to high wind speeds, left dublin at 9pm arrived london 845am

i do the trip back to Wales quite often and in Nov, Dec, Jan & Feb i would never make a booking on the Fast Boat (The Swift), any sort of wind and they cancel the thing, best just booking on the Ulysses which sails in any weather

it was just part of the booking i did, i didnt know it was the fast boat i was getting on until i was told why it was cancelled
    im just absolutly wrecked at the moment

Advertisement