Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Visa question

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Spent the last few days looking at hundreds of pages online on visa's and seem to be running into the same brick wall.......a job offer.

I am a 25 year old recent college graduate with a bachelors degree in Pharmaceutical and forensic analysis. My girlfriend of 4 years has the same qualifications.

I have family in NC but she is my aunt so is not eligible for sponsorship.

We looked at the 12 month J1 but I dont understand the sponsor thing. Do I have to work as an au-pair etc as is listed on the website.

We looked at the H1-B but dont have any job offers currently.

Canada might be an option, but we would prefer to move to the US, but every path seems really difficult.

Any advice would be appreciated ......or anyone in the same situation that has found other options ??

Thanks in advance guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

J1 is kind of a "catch all" visa number, lots of different types of visas fall under it, such as the summer and year long J1s Irish students do, and au-pairing etc. The year long student/ recent grad one is not for au-pairing or working in a bar, it is to gain work experience in the field you studied, so should work well for you and if you impress your employer, they may sponsor you for a H1B later. With the J1, while it is a good idea to have a job before going over, it is not necessary. You can get the visa, go over and then find a internship. With the H1B, you need an emmplyer to sort the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

To expand on what silja has mentioned, the J-1 visa "sponsors" can be found at the following site: http://j1visa.state.gov/participants/how-to-apply/sponsor-search/. You have to be eligible under the US government rules (viewable here) but also the sponsor themselves can impose some rules so keep an eye out for those.

The major sponsors for Irish are USIT, SAYIT, GO4LESS, IIICENTER and INTRAX.

There's more information on this thread

Advertisement