Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats an Alarm spur box? + Earth wire question.

Options
  • 06-11-2012 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

I have a box beside my main board with a red light on it. This box is labeled "Alarm Spur" (image attached).

I couldn't find any useful info online, anyone know what it is for?

On a side note, where does the earth cable end? is it on a metal pole sticking in the ground under the house?

Thanks!

WP_000149.jpg?psid=1

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

I'd say its the fused supply that's feeding your alarm panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

james142 wrote: »
    I have a box beside my main board with a red light on it. This box is labeled "Alarm Spur" (image attached).

I couldn't find any useful info online, anyone know what it is for?

On a side note, where does the earth cable end? is it on a metal pole sticking in the ground under the house?

Thanks!

WP_000149.jpg?psid=1

its the fused supply for your alarm control panel
    if you remove the fuse,it disconnects mains power to panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

KoolKid wrote: »
    I'd say its the fused supply that's feeding your alarm panel.

beat me to it

cant see the earth wire you are talking about,however there should be an earth wire connected to an earth rod which is driven into the ground somewhere outside your house

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

For the earth wire question, The reason I was asking is because there is about 4 -6 earth wires connected to a copper pipe beside the immersion heater. Perhaps this is where the wires end up?

I have a pic of the pipe (you can see 4 wires connected to it, the other two are above which isnt shown)
    WP_000150.jpg?psid=1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

For the earth wire question, The reason I was asking is because there is about 4 -6 earth wires connected to a copper pipe beside the immersion heater. Perhaps this is where the wires end up?
    This is known as "equipotential bonding". It is designed to ensure that the conductive parts that can be touched simultaneously are at the same voltage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭james142

2011 wrote: »
    This is known as "equipotential bonding". It is designed to ensure that the conductive parts that can be touched simultaneously are at the same voltage.

SO those ground wires are only from the conductive parts in that closet?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

SO those ground wires are only from the conductive parts in that closet?
    The cables you refer to are connecting conductive parts to each other so that if you were to touch 2 or more of them a voltage difference would not appear across you (possibly resulting in you receiving a shock).

Advertisement