Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHIP IT!'s Built Like A Badass...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Tuesday Nov 19

Soccer training
    - consisted of about 25 mins of running drills, including hill sprints with short recovery followed by about 50 mins of seven-a-side... good breather...

Thursday Nov 21

Soccer training - less than an hour on the astro. Fairly tame.

Friday Nov 22

Hour of seven-a-side with some pals... good run-out...

Match tomorrow, but if I feel fresh and loose in the morning I'll get to the gym for some weights...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You play 11-a-side on astro or grass,chief?

You play 11-a-side on astro or grass,chief?

Grass, Alf...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Grass, Alf...

Cool. Just didn't know anyone else that did anything in the gym AND played football, let alone move the weight you do.

• Advertisement

Cool. Just didn't know anyone else that did anything in the gym AND played football, let alone move the weight you do.

:)

What're ya drinkin, Alf... pint? :)

Edit: I'm not much good so I find at least being able to run around a bit gets me a game here n there :D

Saturday Nov 23

90 minutes on the wing yesterday. Danny Glover Lethal Weapon 2 style - "gettin too old for this sh*t" :D

Game of golf tomorrow then a good heavy weights session on Tuesday after a quiet week...

Tuesday Nov 26

Warm-Up:
    Pretty tough 45-mins Spinning Class. Kid didn't take it easy on us today!

1) SUPERSET
    BB Squat x 5 (110kg; 110kg; 120kg; 125kg; 130kg)
    with
    Bench Press 90kg 5 x 5

2) SUPERSET
    Chin ups (+25kg) 5 x 5
    with
    BB Lunges 5 x 5

3) SUPERSET
    Standing DB OH Presses 24kg 5 x 5
    with
    BB Rows 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    Tricep Pushdowns 5 x 5
    with
    Bicep Curls 5 x 5

Have to say, I love this session... A little disappointed in the Bench Press, shoulder feels fine but there just wasn't a whole lotta power there and never felt like I could've went a whole lot over 90kg. Squat, on the other hand, felt very strong and I was within myself on those numbers.

Thursday Nov 28

1) SUPERSET
    Deadlift 5 x 5 (120kg; 130kg x 4 sets)
    with
    Inclined DB Press 5 x 5 (32kg x 2 sets; 36kg x 3 sets)

2) SUPERSET
    Front Rows 5 x 5
    with
    Single Leg Squats (BW) 5 x 5

3) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldown 5 x 5
    with
    Arnold Press 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    Lying Tricep Extension 5 x 5
    with
    Hammer Curls 5 x 5

Good session. Ideally would've left this til tomorrow as legs still a bit tender from Tuesday... but going away for the weekend so had to get her done today...

Tuesday December 3

1) SUPERSET
    Front Squats 5 x 5 (50kg x 4 sets; 55kg x 1)
    with
    DB Shoulder Presses 5 x 5 (24kg x 1 sets; 26kg x 3; 27.5kg x 1)

2) SUPERSET
    Pullovers 5 x 5
    with
    RDLs 5 x 5

3) SUPERSET
    One Arm DB Rows 5 x 5
    with
    Incline DB Flyes 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    BB Curls 5 x 5
    with
    Overhead Tricep Extensions 5 x 5

Haven't done a whole lotta front squatting so kept the weights very light - although I'm not sure I could've went alot heavier even if I'd wanted to!

What are the main differences/advantages in front squatting as opposed to the usual BB Squat?

• Advertisement

What are the main differences/advantages in front squatting as opposed to the usual BB Squat?

Back squat puts more of a load on the posterior chain so it works your hamstrings and glutes a lot more than the front squat, which will work the quads a lot more.

There's more to it than that but that's one big difference.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Front squat + shoulder press is a poor combo. Would be better with front squat + pull-up as your shoulders will get fatigued in that rack position

Hanley wrote: »
    Front squat + shoulder press is a poor combo. Would be better with front squat + pull-up as your shoulders will get fatigued in that rack position

Yeah, I kinda agree with ya there. Wasn't so bad today but the first time I did this Superset it did wear out my shoulders for the shoulder press.

Thursday December 5

Warm-up:
    Loadsa foamrolling, stretching and bandwork with a bit of sliotharing thrown in...

1) BB Squats
    BW x 10
    Empty Bar x 5
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    100kg x 5
    (*belt*)
    120kg x 5
    122.5kg x 5
    125kg x 5
    127.5kg x 5
    130kg x 5

2) Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5

Disappointed in the Bench Press right now. Seem to have lost some power there. Will work on it over Christmas.

3) SUPERSET
    Chin-Ups (+30kg) 5 x 5
    with
    BB Lunges 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    Military Press 5 x 5 (40kg; 50kg; 50kg; 55kg; 55kg)
    with
    BB Rows 5 x 5

5) SUPERSET
    Tricep Pushdowns (full stack) 5 x 5
    with
    EZCurl Bar Bicep Curls 5 x 5

Mammoth session - made longer by all the chats!

Squat feels strong, very happy with it. Working on mobility and, along with those fancy new shoes, I'm squatting deeper and stronger... but the Bench is a worry - just doesn't seem all that strong at the minute, perhaps I've been neglecting it somewhat but it's not all that long ago I worked a similiar set up to 105kg x 5... today I'm quite sure I couldn't have gone any heavier than I did... like I said, I'll give it some work over the Chrimbo...

Thursday Dec 5 (Part II!)

Footy training tonight was short and sharp - quick warm up, few ball drills, few sprints then about 30 minutes of six-a-side... much fun!

Belated - 15,000 Views :cool:

Thursday Dec 5 (Part II!)

Footy training tonight was short and sharp - quick warm up, few ball drills, few sprints then about 30 minutes of six-a-side... much fun!

Still stuck out on the wing? :p

Still stuck out on the wing? :p

Yep, stuck out there out of the way - my cries of "I'm too old for this up-n-down lark" falling on deaf ears...

I've obviously never seen you play but you're definitely more suited to playing centre half...alongside a ball-playing centre half. You could batter the strikers and let the side-kick do the fancy sh*t! :D

Tuesday Dec 10

1) Bench Press

Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    95kg x 5
    95kg x 5

2) 'BLAB' Finisher
    RDLS x 10; Bent Rows x 10; Hang Cleans x 10; Push Press x 10; Back Squats x 10
    Three Rounds with strict 90-secs rest in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Squat feels strong, very happy with it. Working on mobility and, along with those fancy new shoes, I'm squatting deeper and stronger... but the Bench is a worry - just doesn't seem all that strong at the minute, perhaps I've been neglecting it somewhat but it's not all that long ago I worked a similiar set up to 105kg x 5... today I'm quite sure I couldn't have gone any heavier than I did... like I said, I'll give it some work over the Chrimbo...

I've always found benching to be like that. Sometimes you just get out of the groove and power seems to drop way off. Just keep at but perhaps change focus slightly to avoid getting into a mental rut. Perhaps use the time to hammer shoulder/scap control.

Sangre wrote: »
    I've always found benching to be like that. Sometimes you just get out of the groove and power seems to drop way off. Just keep at but perhaps change focus slightly to avoid getting into a mental rut. Perhaps use the time to hammer shoulder/scap control.

Yeah, I really don't understand it. Today was the same, I was really on my limit to go two rounds of 95x5 even with a good rest between sets... might just mix it up, switch to DB pressing for a session or two, see how I get on...

Yeah, I really don't understand it. Today was the same, I was really on my limit to go two rounds of 95x5 even with a good rest between sets... might just mix it up, switch to DB pressing for a session or two, see how I get on...
    I found I hit a plateau for what seemed an age (probably seemed an age cos it was one...) and what I found worked was to leave the barbell bench press alone, do some DB presses but mostly work on shoulders and triceps for a while. Worked 'em hard and got my bench going again.

I found I hit a plateau for what seemed an age (probably seemed an age cos it was one...) and what I found worked was to leave the barbell bench press alone, do some DB presses but mostly work on shoulders and triceps for a while. Worked 'em hard and got my bench going again.

That's the thing though, if it was just a bit of a plateau I wouldn't be so bothered. But it just seems like a sudden loss of power... from a strong 105kgx5 to a struggling 95kgx5 in the space of 3/4 weeks...

That's the thing though, if it was just a bit of a plateau I wouldn't be so bothered. But it just seems like a sudden loss of power... from a strong 105kgx5 to a struggling 95kgx5 in the space of 3/4 weeks...

Your last 2 sessions benching heavy involved 2 sets of 92.5/5 and 2 sets of 95/5. Just out of interest, why did you bench 92.5 for 5 last week when you went from 90 to 95 the previous heavy bench session?

I find it hard to believe that you've lost a lot of power. You're finding 95 for 5 harder the last 2 sessions possibly because you've done two sets of 5 at 92.5 beforehand which you didn't do the session you hit that strong 105 for 5.

Your last 2 sessions benching heavy involved 2 sets of 92.5/5 and 2 sets of 95/5. Just out of interest, why did you bench 92.5 for 5 last week when you went from 90 to 95 the previous heavy bench session?

I find it hard to believe that you've lost a lot of power. You're finding 95 for 5 harder the last 2 sessions possibly because you've done two sets of 5 at 92.5 beforehand which you didn't do the session you hit that strong 105 for 5.

Because the power just wasn't there this time. When I went from 90 to 95 I was on my way to 105 (and feeling strong as I went). These past two sessions though, I just knew the power wasn't there.

Having said that, I've just scrolled back through my log and realised that that Bench session (up to 105) was back on Oct 26! Really didn't think it was that long ago... so maybe I just need to pay more attention to the ol Bench Press over the Chrimbo and get her back up to that level.

Because the power just wasn't there this time. When I went from 90 to 95 I was on my way to 105 (and feeling strong as I went). These past two sessions though, I just knew the power wasn't there.

Having said that, I've just scrolled back through my log and realised that that Bench session (up to 105) was back on Oct 26! Really didn't think it was that long ago... so maybe I just need to pay more attention to the ol Bench Press over the Chrimbo and get her back up to that level.

Think about it though. The strength wasn't there but you still did two sets of 92.5 and then two at 95. I have a bit of a suspicion that the last session played on your mind before today and instead of going from 90 to 95, you went to 92.5.

If you were able to manage 2 sets of 5 at 92.5 and then 2 at 95, there was easily enough power to go for a set of 5 at 95 after the set of 5 at 90. The power is there to go for that.

Next time do that and take it from there after that.

But yeah, you did two sets of 10 x 10 at 60 between Ocxtober 25th and December 5th with a three week break between the 60kg x 10 x 10 and the heavy bench session last thursday.

Think about it though. The strength wasn't there but you still did two sets of 92.5 and then two at 95. I have a bit of a suspicion that the last session played on your mind before today and instead of going from 90 to 95, you went to 92.5.

If you were able to manage 2 sets of 5 at 92.5 and then 2 at 95, there was easily enough power to go for a set of 5 at 95 after the set of 5 at 90. The power is there to go for that.

Next time do that and take it from there after that.

But yeah, you did two sets of 10 x 10 at 60 between Ocxtober 25th and December 5th with a three week break between the 60kg x 10 x 10 and the heavy bench session last thursday.

Yeah, definitely maybe... I didn't want to go from 90 to 95 though and not be able to complete five 'Work' sets of 5...

Yeah, definitely maybe... I didn't want to go from 90 to 95 though and not be able to complete five 'Work' sets of 5...
    Do a set at 95 and see how it feels....whether you could go for 5 at 100 then. If not go for a set at 95 again and then drop to 92.5 if you think that's how you'll get your sets in. BUt there's no point adding in sets before 95 because you don't think you'll be able to get past 95, especially when you've hit 105 comfortably a few weeks back.

• Advertisement

Thursday Dec 12

GAA Pre-season, Day 1

Warm-up:
    Got there early and had a good 30 mins of foamrolling, stretching, mobility stuff and bandwork... thank god I did too!

Circuit Training: Circuit involving - Jump Squats-Split Squats-Burpees; Medicine Ball Slams-Medicine Ball Throws; Incline/Decline Press Ups-Tricep Dips; Planks-Mountain Climbers-Thrusters; Glute Raises-Back Extensions-Supermans; DB Shoulder Presses-DB Front Rows-DB Front Raises...

Two times thru - first x 2mins every station, second x 1 min every station... tough but do-able... Day 1 outta the way!

Advertisement