Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHIP IT!'s Built Like A Badass...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

"I'm the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy" (Dignam, The Departed)

Week 7

Day 2

Lower body Workout

1) Jump Squats
    with 5kg DBs: five sets of five
    Once again, these were supposed to be kneeling jumps but I just cannae do 'em, Cap'n!

2) Barbell Squat:
    Warm-up Sets
    Bodyweight x 10
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 7
    80kg x 7
    90kg x 7

Work Sets
    105kg (75%) x 7
    112.5kg (80%) x 5
    120kg (85%) x 5

3) SUPERSET
    Supine Hip Trusts 3 x 15
    with
    Stability Ball Plank 3 x 45 secs (last one 60 secs cos I'm just such a fit f*cker!)

4) DB Reverse Lunge, front foot elevated: 2 x 12 each leg with 8kg DBs

Once again, re-tard that I am, I forgot my speed rope to do the tabatha-style jump rope bit at the end... if I forget it again next week, I'm inviting you all to hunt me down, Commando style, and tickle me to death...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

We're all on our way out, act accordingly.

Cranberry juice, what is it? Your period?!

....two great quotes I don't get to use enough.

Hanley wrote: »
    We're all on our way out, act accordingly.

Cranberry juice, what is it? Your period?!

....two great quotes I don't get to use enough.

Heh Heh... I was torn between the one I used above and "Why don't you just hand me a pistol and a bottle of Scotch so I can blow my f*ckin brains out??"

Figured the latter wasn't festive enough :D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Hiya Shorty, thanks for your post... it's funny, I was only thinking similiar myself when I finished Week 6 - I do feel like I've toned up all round and the programme has helped me get back into lower body work (which I had been neglecting) but, like yourself, I can't imagine my RM has improved in the Bench or Squat. Reason I say that, is the reps are not necessarily getting easier.

Thing is, I play soccer and GAA so I'm not pushed about improving the numbers so to speak, I just want to feel fitter, stronger and sharper all over and I do think the programme is working in that regard.

I've enjoyed it, it's something to hang your hat on - ie, today I'm doing 'xyz' and in two days I'm doing 'abc'...

It is similiar to WFSB, yes, but possibly more 'athlete' aimed...

I'm going to take a week off once I'm done and then maybe start again from Week 1 using the Deadlift instead of Squat.

As a bit of an update to this... for what it's worth, this week is the best my Bench and Squat have felt since I started the programme. Perhaps I was wrong above, maybe the numbers will have gone slightly up by the time I've completed the programme... or perhaps they were just two 'good' days.. who knows!

Man I'm glad Leg Day was yesterday. An unholy amount of bicep curls goin on in the squat rack in my gym today...

• Advertisement

"You chose this life, if you don't wanna work in the rain, go try out for the Yankees..." (Tony to Christopher, The Sopranos, Season 1)

Week 7

Day 3

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up: All those stretches and a few light DB exercises.

1) Chin-ups: Two sets, first set MR (30) and second set 60% (18)

2) Rest-Pause 3-second Eccentric Front Lat Pulldowns: One set x 15

3) Standing DB Modified Arnold Press: 3 x 8
    Did these with 16kg DBs this week and they were much better. Form better and felt the benefit much more than last week when I tried em with too much weight.

4) Blackburns: Two sets, four positions, 20 seconds each position.

5) Cable Curls: Four sets, 2 x 12 and 2 x 15

6) Core Circuit: Two sets
    V-ups x 20
    Hip-ups x 20
    Alternating Toe Touches x 30

7) Bodyweight Complex: 5 x through with 60 secs rest between Sets
    Mountain Climbers x 30
    Push-ups x 20
    Groiners x 10
    Burpees x 5
    Man this kicks my ass. Five sets were tough and by the fourth go-round I had to break the push-ups into two sets of 10 with a few deep breaths in between.

Week 7 done and dusted... Week 8 starts Monday morning... keep er lit, Lads...

"What's the point of going out? We're just going to wind up back here anyway." (Homer Simpson)

Week 8

Day 1

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Few stretches and some light DB exercises

1) Bench Press
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    75kg x 6

Work Sets
    85kg (77.5%) x 6
    90kg (82.5%) x 4
    100kg (90%) x 3

2) Alternate DB press: (flat bench)
    First set, 20kg DBs x 15 each arm
    Second set, 24kg Dbs x 12 each arm

3) Standing Rope 'J' Pulldowns: 4 x 12
    Not entirely convinced I was doing these right. They looked an awful lot like regular rope pulldowns to me!

4) 3-Way 'Shoulder shocker': 2 x 10

5) SUPERSET
    Timed DB Shrugs 2 x 30 secs
    with
    Alternating Hammer Curls 2 x 10

6) DB Complex: (front squat, swings, unilateral curl & press, squat jumps)
    5 ascending sets, 6 first set, 7 second set, 8 third set, 9 fourth set, 10 final set. 60 secs rest between sets.

Good session, Bench feels good. Shoulder shocker is a bit m'eh, a bit too 'bits n pieces' for me... rest of it I enjoyed and i do enjoy the 'finishers' at the end of the sessions.

Half hour cardio cross-trainer class tonight followed by a little Ab work & a one-hour boxing class... Leg Day tomorrow, lets get on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

So are you going to do the Lower Body Day twice each week? Or just condense the programme so your last 3 weeks only take a fortnight?

Just condensing!

Looking at new programs for afterward, so hard to choose, I looked at Kris Gethin's 12 week programme on bodybuilding.com which looks interesting, gives you workout routine and nutritional programme also, which is the same every day! Might get a bit bland having the same food every day.

Anyway if you have any ideas of programmes for post badass let me know, hope its going well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Also, regarding the J pulldowns, I know what you mean about them feeling like tricep pulldowns except I found clenching my latts helped!

• Advertisement

shortys94 wrote: »

Just condensing!

Looking at new programs for afterward, so hard to choose, I looked at Kris Gethin's 12 week programme on bodybuilding.com which looks interesting, gives you workout routine and nutritional programme also, which is the same every day! Might get a bit bland having the same food every day.

Anyway if you have any ideas of programmes for post badass let me know, hope its going well!

I've enjoyed the programme but I do think I've found it too 'manageable' which is a slight disappointment because I'd understood it to be aimed at people who were used to exercise and wanted to go to another level...

The timing hasn't helped - Christmas etc but, even without Xmas, I've let the diet slip in general out of nothing other than taking my eye off the ball in that regard...

I'm going to take a quiet week once I'm finished then do BLAB again using Deadlifts instead of squats... Ideally, I'd like to condense the programme from Day 1 & complete the 12 weeks in 8/9 weeks (including dropping that first Deload Week so it'll really just be condensing 11 weeks) and also recommit to the diet side & eat cleaner.

Actually, a question for you guys/gals... I prefer to Deadlifts using the trap bar as I just find it a bit safer... will this greatly limit the results I can expect compared to if I Deadlifted conventionally? Thanks...

What "results" do you mean?

What "results" do you mean?

Is the trapbar deadlift as effective as regular Deadlifts or is it less effective or just different? If so, how much different or less effective?

Week 8

Day 2

Lower Body Workout

1) Barbell Squat

Warm-up Sets
    bodyweight x 12
    50kg x 10
    70kg x 6
    87.5kg x 6
    97.5kg x 6

Work Sets
    107.5 kg (77.5%) x 6
    115kg (82.5%) x 4
    125kg (90%) x 4

2) Split Squat Jumps: BW only, 2 x 20 secs

3) DB Romanian DLs: 3 x 12

4) Plank Shoulder Touches: 3 x 12

5) Single Leg Speed Skater Squats: 2 x 8 each leg

Alright... f*ck it... time to come clean... I forgot my f*cking speed rope again... for the third week in a row... which means you're all allowed hunt me down... but to do so, you'll have to decifer a series of riddles... each one more complex than the last... MUAHAHAHAAAAAAA....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Alright... f*ck it... time to come clean... I forgot my f*cking speed rope again... for the third week in a row... which means you're all allowed hunt me down... but to do so, you'll have to decifer a series of riddles... each one more complex than the last... MUAHAHAHAAAAAAA....

For a good hunt im in....been ages since i got a decent track and kill session in...

For a good hunt im in....been ages since i got a decent track and kill session in...

I said TICKLE!!

"Why always me?" (because, Mario Balotelli, you're a f*cking idiot)

Week 8

Day 3

Warm-up:
    30-minute spinning class

Upper Body Day

1) Chin-ups: Two sets, first set x MR (30); second set by 70% (21)

2) Drop-set Front Lat Pulldowns: 2 x 8; 6; 6 (8reps, drop 5kg, 6, drop 5kg, 6)

3) SUPERSET
    Seated DB modified Arnold Press 3 x 8
    with
    Incline DB Cleans 3 x 10

4) Barbell Curls: 30kg plates plus Eazy-curl bar 4 x 8

5) Core Circuit with Medicine Ball: x 2
    Spread Eagle Sit-ups x 15
    Seated Twists x 20 each side
    Toe Touches x 20

6) Barbell Push-ups: Descending sets, 18 down to 1. (18 push-ups, then 17, then 16 etc... down to 1 - by far the single most boring thing I've ever done in the gym... Don't get me wrong, push-ups are an under-rated exercise... but 171 of them in 18 sets?? Zzzzzzzzzzz

Is the trapbar deadlift as effective as regular Deadlifts or is it less effective or just different? If so, how much different or less effective?

Effective at what tho?

Effective at what tho?

Making me look deadly(er)!

Alright, I would consider the BLAB programme to be a programme designed to make an athlete (yes, I'm using that term loosely!) more athletic. ie, Stronger, faster and maybe more durable... Taking the BLAB programme on its merits, would you consider it more effective to use conventional deadlifts or trapbar deadlifts or is there very little difference? Essentially, what is the difference between a Conventional DL and a Trapbar DL, is one 'better' per se, or is there only negligible difference? I've heard it said before that the trapbar DL is, effectively, closer to a Squat than a Deadlift...

I've heard it said before that the trapbar DL is, effectively, closer to a Squat than a Deadlift...

Yup... Pretty much nail on the head thre. You can make it like a regular DL by popping your hips up higher, but most ppl just drop em low and try to bully the weight up by squatting it.

So I guess the answer is pull the trap bar DL like a normal DL and you're laughing (if DL like development is your goal)

• Advertisement

Week 9

Day 1

Warm-up:
    Few stretches, some lying on the floor yawning and five minutes on the cross-trainer.

Upper Body Workout

1) Bench Press
    Warm-up sets
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 5
    70kg x 5
    80kg x 5

Work Sets
    87.5kg (80%) x 5
    92.5kg (85%) x 3
    105kg (95%) x 2

2) Alternate DB Bench Press: 26kg DBx 2 x 12 each arm

3) Standing Rope 'J' Pulldowns: 4 x 10

4) 3-way Shoulder Shocker: 2 x 10 each
    Thought this was much better this week having not really thought much of it last week. Not sure why!

5) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs 3 x 15
    with
    Alternate Hammer Curls 15kg 3 x 8

6) Bezercher Barbell Complex: (Zercher Squats; Zercher Reverse Lunges; Curl to Press; RDLs; Bent Rows) 3 x 10 each with 60 secs rest between sets.

Good session, Finisher at the end isn't as tough as the ones from other weeks but that was mainly because all the Oly bars were taken up so I had to use one of those 'power' bars from the Ladies Bodypump class, which only weighs about 10kg or so (that's my excuse and I'm stickin to it!)

"Told you I wasn't goin' back..." (De Niro, Heat)

Week 9

Day 2

Warm-up:
    Sprint from carpark to dressers cos I was late... followed by a decent 40-min Spin Class

Lower Body Workout

1) Barbell Squat
    Warm-up Sets
    Bodyweight x 10
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 10
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 5
    102.5kg x 5

Work Sets
    112.5kg (80%) x 5
    120kg (85%) x 3
    132.5kg (95%) x 3

Felt very strong. Definitely think I could have gone as many as 5 Reps on 95%. Interesting, ever since I said here I didn't feel like my Bench or Squat numbers would have improved a whole lot since I started this Programme, both lifts have just felt better and better... needless to say, this pleases me!

2) Split Squat Jumps: 3 x 30 secs

3) SUPERSET
    DB Romanian DLs 3 x 10 (26kg DBs)
    with
    Plank Shoulder Touches 3 x 12

4) Single Leg Speed Skater Squats: 3 x 10

Ok, I didn't forget my speed rope this week... I just couldn't find the f*cking thing :o

Boxing training for an hour tonight... Jesus it's colddddd today :-/

"Different versions of many men, come before you came..." (Oasis, going Nowhere)

Week 9

Day 3

Warm-up:
    Stretches and some hip mobility work followed by a 30-min Spin Class, moderate intensity.

Upper Body Workout

1) Chin-ups:
    Two sets, first set MR (30) followed by 70% (21)

2) Drop-set Front Lat pulldowns: 2 Sets - x8; drop 10kg x 6; drop 5kg x 6

3) SUPERSET
    Modified Arnold Press 3 x 8
    with
    Incline DB Cleans 3 x 10

4) Barbell Curls: Completely forgot to do these. Idiot.

5) Core circuit with Medicine Ball: x 2
    Spread Eagle Sit-ups x 20
    MB Twists x 20
    Toe Touches x 20

6) Barbell Push-ups: 19 to 1 - Descending sets, first set 19, second set 18 etc etc... this took me a full 25 minutes, I hate it! Burns the upper body out no doubt... still though - who the f*ck wants to do push-ups for 25 minutes?? :(

Week 9 done and dusted... Deload week coming up but I think I'm going to get it out of the way in five days which should see me probably starting Week 11 next Thursday.

So just the three weeks of BLAB left so I'm looking ahead to what I might try next... was going to just do BLAB again but think I'll try something else a shot first.

I'm debating between giving some GVT a go for six weeks or maybe having a belt at this for 10/12 weeks

7608981204_48946874d6.jpg
    Workout by burgomeister08, on Flickr

The thing I like about the GVT is how simple it is whereas with the above programme I can foresee some slight impracticalities... for example, the very first exercise on Day 1 - BB Squats with BB Bench... whatever about taking up the only Squat Rack in my gym, I'm not sure taking up one of the two Bench Press stations at the same time would make me Mr Popular! Having said that, I could just do DB Presses...

If I give GVT a try, I'll probably do something like this...

8377314031_e6fe37e1fa.jpg
    GVT by burgomeister08, on Flickr

Anybody any thoughts? I'll probably give both a try at one stage or another either way...

"Step aside, Butch..." (Marcellus Wallace, Pulp Fiction)

Week 10 - DELOAD WEEK

Day 1

1) Bench Press

Warm-up sets
    Empty Bar x 10
    Empty Bar with Close-grip x 10
    40kg x 5

Work Sets
    55kg (50%) x 5
    65kg (60%) x 5

2) SUPERSET
    Push-ups 2 x 20
    with
    Seated Cable Rows 2 x 20

3) Bicep '21s': One set

4) Bezerchers Barbell Complex: (Zercher squats, Zerchers Reverse Lunges, Curl & Press, RDLs, BB Rows) One set with just empty barbell...

Seriously though, how ghey are "Deload" weeks?? :confused:

Woo Hoo - 2,000 Views! This sh*t's gone viral, Brah!

Week 10 - DELOAD WEEK

Lower Body Workout

Warm-up: Five mins on the crosstrainer and a few stretches.

1) Jumps Squats: 2 x 8 (bodyweight)

2) Barbell Squat
    Warm-up sets
    BW x 10
    Empty Bar x 10
    40kg x 5
    60kg x 5

Work Sets
    70kg (50%) x 5
    85kg (60%) x 5

3) SUPERSET
    Stability Ball hamstrings curls 2 x 10
    with
    Stability Ball Plank (feet on bench) 2 x 30 secs

4) Steady State Cardio: 5-mile cycle on bike, 20 mins 28 secs

Keeping it ticking over... hoping for some strong lifts on Week 11

WEEK 10 - DELOAD WEEK

Day 3

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Stretches and a few light DB exercises

1) Chin-ups: 50% RM 1 set - 15

2) SUPERSET
    Front Lat Pulldowns 2 x 10
    with
    Seated DB lateral raies 2 x 10

3) Blackburns: 15 secs each position, one set

4) Eazi-curl Bicep Curls: 2 x 12

5) Core Circuit: x 2
    V-ups x 15
    Hip-ups x 15
    Alternating Toe Touches x 15 each side

Followed this up with a one-hour boxing class

Well that's the Deload week out of the way... will take tomorrow off - save for footy training tomorrow evening - and then go for some big lifts on Friday... Giddy Up!

• Advertisement

"You're married? What was with all that 'one in a million' talk?"

WEEK 11

Day 1

Warm-up:
    30-minute spinning class, fairly tough

Upper Body Workout

1) Bench Press

Warm-up sets
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 4
    67.5kg x 4
    77.5kg x 4

Work Sets
    87.5kg (80%) x 4
    97.5kg (87.5%) x 2
    102.5kg (92.5%) x 1
    107.5kg (97.5%) x 1
    112.5kg (102%) x FAIL - dude offered to spot me and, nice guy that I am, I said "sure, thanks". I hate having a spotter and find it really distracting so I failed this Rep quite spectacularly and, in fact, almost dropped the frickin thing on myself! Anyhoo, quick breather and a little talk with myself and...
    112.5kg (102%) x 1 (no spotter ;) )

2) DB Floor Presses: 2 x MR - first set x 30 (22kg); second set x 22 (24kg)

3) BW inverted Row (feet raised): 2 x MR (two sets of 20)

4) Barbell Overhead Shrugs: 3 x 15

5) Rest-Pause Incline DB Curls, palms up: 3 x MR (20 secs rest in between)

6) Bezercher Barbell Complex: Four descending Sets (10 first set, 9, 8 ,7)
    (Zercher squats; zercher reverse lunges; Curl & press; RDLs; Bent Row)

Happy enough all round. Feeling the oul shoulder ever so slightly so was very happy to squeeze out that single at 112.5kg - particularly after the failed attempt... most I've had on the bar in a good long while...

Advertisement