Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHIP IT!'s Built Like A Badass...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Feeling the oul shoulder ever so slightly so was very happy to squeeze out that single at 112.5kg - particularly after the failed attempt... most I've had on the bar in a good long while...
    WHIP IT! (Jan 24, 2011)

Barbell Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 5
    80kg x 5
    92.5kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    107.5kg x 3
    112.5kg x 3 (Get in there, Betty!)

Just checked it out on my old abandoned log and the last time I benched 112.5kg was nearly two years ago to the day, Jan 24, 2011... my ego is insisting I mention that I was 10kg heavier at the time!

"So... ya like doin'... stuff??"

WEEK 11

LOWER BODY DAY

Warm-up:
    Foamrolled and then did a good stretch routine beforehand and, I must say, I noticed the benefits when it came to squatting. I really need to make more effort to make time for foamrolling and stretching.

1) Jump Squats with 5kg DBs: 3 x 5

2) Barbell Squat
    Warm-up sets:
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 4
    80kg x 4
    92.5kg x 4
    102.5kg x 4

Work Sets:
    112.5kg (80%) x 4
    122.5kg (87.5%) x 2
    130kg (92.5%) x 1
    137.5kg (97.5kg) x 1
    142.5kg (102%) x 1
    145kg (104%) x 1
    Very happy with this - could have easily went to 147.5kg or even 150kg. Squat felt very strong. I think I've only once before had 145kg on the bar and to get it so easily was very satisfying.

3) SUPERSET
    Single Leg Supine Hip Trusts 3 x 10 each leg
    with
    DB Side Bends 3 x 15 each side

4) Low Box Heel Touches: 2 x 12 each side

Very happy here. A lesson, if it was needed, that ye can't ignore the stretchy stretches and mobility stuff etc - I often lazily rely on the few warm-up sets to knock off the cobwebs but after a good stretch and warm-up here, I felt nice and loose going to the Squat Rack. Last Day of Week 11 tomorrow.

Question: I usually weigh ~83-85kg... how realistic, judging by the above numbers, is a 2xBW single Squat in the (near or not so near) future?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭imnothim

i am most def not a expert, but your about 20kg way so id say if you focus on squatting for a few months you'd probably smash it by the summer.
    im after the same thing, 200kg (bw x 2) and reckon il be there by summer.

"Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind." Jackie Joyner-Kersee

WEEK 11

Day 3

Warm-up:
    Lots of good stretches followed by a tough enough 40-minute spinning class.

Upper Body Workout

1) Chin-ups: One set to Max - 30 reps

2) SUPERSET
    3-second eccentric front Lat Pulldowns 2 x 10
    with
    Standing DB side press (16kg DB) 2 x 10 each arm

3) Incline DB rear delt flyes, thumbs up: 3 x 15

4) Eccentric BB Curls: 3 x 5 (cheat weight up and lower as slowly as possible)

5) 20kg Plate Core Circuit: 15 each exercise, 2 x thru
    Standing Russian Twists
    Standing Side Bends
    Crunches, feet on Floor
    Crunches, feet at 90*
    Crunches, feet verticle (toe touches)

6) Push-up test: 1 x Max Set of 'Regular' Push-ups.... 50!! PB, I'm sure :)

• Advertisement

"Cock your hat - angles are attitudes..." (Sinatra)

WEEK 12

Day 1

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Decent stretch and a few light DB exercises. Feeling a bit of a shoulder twinge, as usual...

1) Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 10
    45kg x 5
    60kg x 3
    75kg x 2
    87.5kg x 1
    ______
    82.5kg x MAX = 14
    Disappointed with this, was hoping for at least 15 and maybe as many as 18-20...

2) BW inverted Row: 2 x Max Reps = 2 x 20

3) Barbell Overhead Shrugs: 3 x 15

4) Rest-Pause Incline DB Curls: 3 Sets with 20 secs rest in between. First set 25, second set 12, third set 8 (12.5kg DBs)

5) Bezercher Barbell Complex: (Zercher Squats; Zercher reverse lunges; curl & press; RDLs; Bent Rows)... Five descending sets (first set 10; second 9; 8; 7; 6) with 60 secs rest in between... got distracted chatting between sets 3/4 and 4/5 so did an extra set of 6 with just 30 secs rest after set 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Have you noticed any changes in your physique since starting this? As in, are you bigger!? I'm looking to start this program the week after next so I'm curious to know whether you've noticed any improvements outside of the obvious strength ones.

SuprSi wrote: »
    Have you noticed any changes in your physique since starting this? As in, are you bigger!? I'm looking to start this program the week after next so I'm curious to know whether you've noticed any improvements outside of the obvious strength ones.

Well I never took a pic before I started it but I wouldn't say I'm a whole lot "bigger", maybe more athletic looking and definitely feel a little stronger all round. There's alot of shoulder/arm work and if I've made size gains, it's definitely in those areas.

I'm going to give this programme another run for a few reasons: First of all, inevitably, Christmas did derail me slightly - more dietwise than out-on-the-piss-wise (although there was a little of this in there! :) ); I also didn't eat the best for the first few weeks which was a bit of a bad habit I was in before I started BLAB; I missed the 'Finisher' three weeks in a row on Leg Day because for the life of me I can't find my speed rope - and last of all, I am encouraged by how strong my Squat feels and I'd like to see how much more progress I can make with that and the Bench Press of course...

So, after an easy week next week, I'll be giving this another go, working off slightly higher RMs and I also plan to add a set here and there on the days I feel are slightly too easy. Nothing major, just might double up the Work Sets on the early Bench/Squat days and add another Set to the Finishers as well.

Bottom line is, it's pretty enjoyable, varied and keeps me 'at it', so to speak...

EDIT: I also want to do the 12 weeks over the course of 9 weeks. This includes dropping the first Deload Week (as I did on this go-round) and condensing the remaining 11 weeks into no more than 9 weeks, maybe even 8 if life/work/beer/man-flu doesn't get in the way too much!

Thanks, definitely going to give it a shot. I've tried Athlean-X and enjoyed it, but want to try something different now and this looks like the best option.

Thanks, definitely going to give it a shot. I've tried Athlean-X and enjoyed it, but want to try something different now and this looks like the best option.

Be sure to take a 'Before' shot. I never bothered and I'm sorry I didn't, I'd like to be able to check just how much an effect it has had on my body.

• Advertisement

Be sure to take a 'Before' shot. I never bothered and I'm sorry I didn't, I'd like to be able to check just how much an effect it has had on my body.

Good idea! I'll be watching my diet very closely too so hopefully will see some good progress. I'll be keeping my eye on this thread too!

... I missed the 'Finisher' three weeks in a row on Leg Day because for the life of me I can't find my speed rope...

Found it!! :pac:

8413989638_b27736f218.jpg
    IMG_1631[1] by burgomeister08, on Flickr

"Confidence is contagious - so is lack of confidence..." (Lombardi)

WEEK 12

Day 2

Lower Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Foamrolling and stretching galore and bodyweight squats x 10

1) Jump Squats with 5kg DBs: 5 x 5

2) Low Box Heel Touches: 2 x 12 each leg

3) SUPERSET
    Single leg suppine hip trusters 3 x 12
    with
    Side Bends (20kg plate) 3 x 15 each side

4) Tabatha-style jump rope: 20 secs on, 10 secs off, as many sets as possible - 14 Sets... good finishers!

EDIT: I also want to do the 12 weeks over the course of 9 weeks. This includes dropping the first Deload Week (as I did on this go-round) and condensing the remaining 11 weeks into no more than 9 weeks, maybe even 8 if life/work/beer/man-flu doesn't get in the way too much!

Looks like I'm going to have to revise this if I'm going to be realistic. Just looking back through this blog, I started Day 1 of Week 1 on Tues Nov 6 and will do Day 3 of Week 12, the final workout, on Tuesday Feb 5. This means it will have taken me exactly 13 weeks which, to be honest, I'm shocked at because I only did 11 weeks of the programme!

I knew I'd had somewhat of a slow start, got sick around week 2/3 I think but honestly would've assumed I got the whole thing done in ~12 weeks...

I guess I'll attempt to complete it on the second go-round in 10/11 weeks as opposed to 8/9... no point in being silly about it...

WHIP IT!
    Well I never took a pic before I started it but I wouldn't say I'm a whole lot "bigger", maybe more athletic looking and definitely feel a little stronger all round. There's alot of shoulder/arm work and if I've made size gains, it's definitely in those areas.

Direct quote from one of the PTs in the dressers earlier - "you're lookin better every day, Man" :cool:

So... maybe... :)

Had my first 'beginners' Pilates class yesterday. Was fun! Hoping to improve flexibility and help with a couple of longstanding joint injuries...

WEEK 12

Day 3

Warm-up:
    40-minute tough spinning class

Upper Body Workout

1) Chin-ups: One set of Max Reps - 28

2) SUPERSET
    3-second Front Lat Pulldowns 2 x 10
    with
    DB sidebend Presses 2 x 10 (16kg DBs)

3) Incline DB rear Delt Flyes: 3 x 15 (8kg DBs)

4) Eccentric BB Curls: 3 x 5

5) 20kg Plate Core Circuit: Twice thru
    Standing Russian Twists
    Standing Side Bends
    Crunches, feet on floor
    Crunches, legs at 90*
    Toe Touches

6) Push-up test: 1 x Max Reps - 45

And that brings me to the end of my first experience of Built Like a Badass... Part II starts... maybe tomorrow! :)

“Now, you’ve got a corpse in a car, minus a head, in a garage. Take me to it.” (Winston Wolfe)

Built Like A Badass Part II

Week 1

Day

Warm-up: Tough spinning class with a one-mile sprint at the end - 2:20 (a PB, I'm sure ;) )

Upper Body Workout

As I said above, I plan to add bits to it by doubling up some exercises or just doing an extra set here and there. I'll bold up the extra bits that are not on the Programme schedule each day.

1) Bench Press: working off revised Rep Max of 112.5kg
    Warm-up sets
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 8
    72.5kg x 8

Work Sets
    82.5kg (72.5%) x 8
    82.5kg (72.5%) x 8
    87.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    87.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    92.5kg (82.5%) x 4
    92.5kg (82.5%) x 6

2) Flat DB Press: 24kg DBs
    Two sets of Max Reps - first set 25; second set 18

3) SUPERSET
    Seated Overhand Grips Cable Rows 4 x 20
    with
    Straight bar Tricep Pushdowns 4 x 20

4) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs (32.5kg DBs) 3 x 15
    with
    Lateral Raises (8kg DBs) 3 x 15

5) Barbell Complex: (RDLs; Bent Rows; Hang Cleans; Push Press; Back Squats). Two Sets with 90 secs recovery + one extra set

Now you're talkin'. Good ol-fashioned two-hour-plus workout and felt strong throughout. Have definitely added some power thanks to my first go at BLAB. Enjoyed this. Tough but fun!

"Deep sea, Baby, I'll follow you..."

WEEK 1

Day 2

Lower Body Workout

Warm-up: Lotsa good stretching, focusing mainly on the hips and some hip mobility work. 30-minute spinning class that was fairly tough.

1) Jump Squats with 5kg DBs: 4 x 6

2) Barbell Squat: working off revised 1RM of 145kg
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 8
    80kg x 8

Work Sets
    105kg (72.5%) x 8
    105kg (72.5%) x 8
    112.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    112.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    120kg (82.5%) x 4

120kg (82.5%) x 6

3) SUPERSET
    45-degree Back Raises (with 15kg plate) 3 x 15
    with
    Medicine Ball Twists 3 x 25 each side

4) Timed one-mile Run: On treadmill, 7:07 - pretty disappointed here but when I think about it, it was a big effort after quite a stiff session. Another session of ~2hrs today so I reckon I'm entitled to be tired.

EDIT: Squatted in my socks today. First time I've done this but I was checking my form yesterday and I noticed my knees seemed too far forward. Usually I just wear regular running shoes which obviously have a higher heel than is ideal for this exercise, so I figured taking em off might help me stay 'flatter footed' and keep the knees in line. Hard to say how well it worked but squat felt strong.

"It's not a good day to be a bad guy..."

WEEK 1

Day 3

Warm-up: Foamrollage followed by a one-hour Pilates class! Nice bit of stretching with a few light DB exercises.

Upper Body Workout

1) Chin-ups: One set MR (30) and one set at 50% (15)

2) SUPERSET
    Front Lat Pulldowns: 2 x MR (25; 20)
    with
    Standing DB Military Press, 17.5kg DBs: 2 x MR (20; 15)

3) SUPERSET
    Rolling Tricep Extensions: 4 x 10
    with
    Hammers Curls: 4 x 10

4) Core Circuit: x 2 + one extra one
    Toe Touches x 20
    Bicycle x 30
    Side Planks x 30 secs each side

5) 100-push-up Challenge: I'm not sure if I did this in 4:45 or 5:45!! :o I think I lost count and did 110 - if so, it was 4:45, which I'd be very happy with! If not, then it was 5:45 - which I'd be really disappointed with!

Week 1 in the Books.. my next training session will be Boxing on Monday evening then Week 2 of BLAB starts Tuesday evening... Giddy Up!

• Advertisement

"I feel inclined to blow my mind/ Get hung up feed the ducks with a bun"

WEEK 2

Day 1

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Lotsa stretches, focusing on the ol hip and shoulders...

1) Bench Press
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 7
    60kg x 7
    75kg x 7

Work Sets
    85kg (75%) x 7
    85kg (75%) x 7
    90kg (80%) x 5
    90kg (80%) x 5
    95kg (85%) x 3
    95kg (85%) x 6

2) Flat DB Bench Press: 2 x MR (24kg DBs) First set 25, second set 22

3a) Seated overhand grip Cable Rows, full stack plus 20kg plate: 4 x 20

3b) Cable Tricep pushdowns, straight bar: 4 x 20
    (*was supposed to be a superset but the Cable station was in demand so was easier to do em this way*)

4) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs 4 x 15
    with
    Lateral Raises 4 x 15

5) Barbell Complex: Three sets + one extra
    (RDLs, Bent Rows, Hang Cleans, Push Press, Back Squats) 10 Reps of each with 90 seconds rest in between (strict)

Good session here, felt strong and the Bench feels very good. Very happy all round, throwing in the extra Sets here and there is really making these early workouts feel a little more worthwhile. Day 2 of Week 2 tomorrow.
    Bring it...

3,000 Views... :D :cool: :pac: :)

stash-1-50ec714e025f7.gif

"King Richard III - all time World Hide & Seek Champion..."

WEEK 2

Day 2

Warm-up: All the stretches and a killer Spinning Class!

Lower Body Workout

1) DB Squat Jumps with 7.5kg DBs:
    4 x 6

2) Barbell Squats
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty Bar x 10
    60kg x 7
    80kg x 7
    95kg x 7

Work Sets
    110kg (75%) x 7
    110kg (75%) x 7
    117.5kg (80%) x 5
    117.5kg (80%) x 5
    125kg (85%) x 3

125kg (85%) x 6

3) SUPERSET
    45-degree Back Raises with 15kg plate 3 x 15
    with
    Medicine Ball Twists 3 x 15 each side

4) One-mile Timed Run: 6:54 - this... was... tough, kinda feel bad for the girl on the treadmill next to me, there was a lot of heavy breathing, 'motherf*cker'ing' and projectile sweating goin on!

Very happy here. Two-hours of hard work. Particularly happy with the Squat as all the 'work' weights are slightly heavier than the percentages so I like to think I have a little bit 'in the bank'...

Bit of a Cardio blast tonight with an hours Boxing/Circuit training thrown in.

"Machete don't text..."

WEEK 2

Day 3

Warm-up: Spinning class, moderate intensity, all the stretches...

Upper Body Workout

1) Chin-ups: First set MR (33 - PB??); Second set 50% (17).

2) SUPERSET
    Front Lat Pulldowns 2 x MR (first set 25, second set 20)
    with
    DB Shoulder Press 2 x MR (first set 20, second set 16)

3) SUPERSET (17.5kg DBs)
    Rolling Tricep Extension 5 x 8
    with
    Hammer Curls 5 x 8

4) Core Circuit: Two sets + one extra
    Toe Touches x 20
    Bicycle x 30
    Side Planks x 30 secs each side

5) 100 push-ups as quick as you can: 6:56!! What the f*cking f*ck is going on here?? I'm getting slower at this?? I definitely feel stronger; I definitely look stronger; arms, shoulders and chest looking half decent... why the bejebus are push-ups makin me their bitch lately?? :(

"Did they go to the zoo?... Supposably..."

WEEK 3

Day 1

Upper Body Workout

1) Bench Press
    Warm-up sets
    Empty Bar x 10
    50kg x 6
    60kg x 6
    70kg x 6

Work Sets
    87.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    87.5kg x 6
    92.5kg (82.5%) x 4
    92.5kg x 4
    102.5kg (90%) x 2
    102.5kg x 3

2) Incline DB Press: 20kg DBs x 2 x MR - first set 25, second set 22

3a) Bent-over One-arm Rows, 35kg DB: 4 x 10

3b) Tricep Rope Pulldowns: 4 x 12

4) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs 3 x 10
    with
    Incline Rear Delt Flyes (pinkies up) 3 x 10

5) Barbell Complex: (deadlifts; bent rows; hang cleans; push press; back squat x 10 each) x 4 + one extra
    Supposed to be a strict 90 seconds rest between these but as I was doing them with a pal, I was getting more like 2½ mins rest between.

Bench Press was disappointing today - numbers aren't bad but it just didn't feel strong... rest of it felt fine and felt quite strong in the incline press afterward.

"Wednesday night is taco night in Rikers Island..." (Blue Peter badge for whoever names the film!)

WEEK 3

Day 2

Lower Body Workout

Warm-up:
    Stretched and foamrolled like a mothaf*cka!

1) Barbell Squat
    Warm-up Sets
    Empty bar x 15
    60kg x 6
    80kg x 6
    100kg x 6

Work Sets
    112.5kg (77.5%) x 6
    112.5kg x 6
    120kg (82.5%) x 4
    120kg x 4
    130kg (90%) x 2

130kg x 4

2) Bulgarian Split Squat Jumps: 4 x 5 each side (BW only)

3) SUPERSET
    Stability Ball Hamstring Curls 3 x 15
    with
    Weighted Spread Eagle sit-ups 3 x 15

4) Alternating Forward lunge with DBs: 2 x 45 secs

5) Timed one-mile run: 6:40 - this pleases me...

Happy with this, was feeling the hammers a bit after yesterday's finisher so was glad that the Squat felt quite strong. Rest of it was ggggrand too - definitely had more energy for the Run at the end because I didn't have a spinning class before this session.

One-hour Boxing/Circuit class tonight and it was tough! Phew... Day 3 of week 3, mañana...

One-hour Boxing/Circuit class tonight and it was tough! Phew... Day 3 of week 3, mañana...

Well, Day 3 will have to wait! Guess Boxing took more out of me than I thought. Tough spinning class this morning & I just didnt have the energy for lifting.

I did sign up for the Hell and Back in June though...

• Advertisement

"Ray, next time someone asks you if you’re a god, you say YES!"

WEEK 3

Day 3

Upper Body Workout

Warm-up:
    All the stretches and some shoulder mobility work...

1) Chin-ups: Two sets, MR (30) followed by 60% (18)

2) SUPERSET
    Front Lat Pulldowns 2 x MR (25, 20)
    with
    Standing DB Shoulder Press (17.5kg) 2 x MR (20, 15)

3) One-Arm Cable Rear Delt Flyes: 4 x 10

4) Run The Rack Bicep Curls: 12.5kg x 4; 15kg x 4; 17.5kg x 4; 20kg x 4; 20kg x 4; 17.5kg x 4; 15kg x 4; 12.5kg x 5

5) Core Circuit: x 2
    Sprinter Sit-ups x 20
    V-ups x 15
    Toe Touches x 15
    Hip-ups x 15

6) 100 Push-ups as fast as possible: 4:30!! I don't know why I was having such a problem with this in recent weeks... haven't done any weights since last Tuesday I think - maybe I just needed a little rest... delighted with that time

Week 3 done and dusted... I seemed to fly through this session quite quickly today, not sure why! Not as many people around to gossip with maybe :)

Advertisement