Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHIP IT!'s Built Like A Badass...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Ah well don't worry about it, front squats can take a good bit of practice before they'll feel anyway right. With a bit of mobility work and more practice I'm sure you'll be flying in no time. I remember the first time I attempted front squats, it was terrible. I thought my fingers were gonna tear off my hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Tuesday April 23

Was working out with someone else so just followed their lead...

1) Bench Press
    x 12; x 10; x 8

2) Barbell Rows
    x 12; x 10; 10

3) Incline Bench
    x 12; x 10; x 8

4) Chest-supported Rows
    x 12; x 10; x 8

5) DB Press
    x 12; x 10; x 8

6) Lat Pulldowns
    x 12; x 10; x 8

7) Loadsa Abbbbbzzzzzz!!!!

Sunday April 28

1) SUPERSET

Barbell Squat 5 x 5 - 120kg; 120kg; 125kg; 125kg; 125kg
    with
    Bench Press 5 x 5 - 85kg; 85kg; 85kg; 90kg; 90kg

2) SUPERSET
    Chin ups with 25kg Plate - 5 x 5
    with
    Barbell Lunges - 5 x 5 each leg

3) SUPERSET
    Military Press, 70kg - 5 x 5
    with
    Barbell Rows - 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    Tricep Rope Pulldowns - 5 x 5
    with
    EZ-bar Curls - 5 x 5

This is a good session, I really enjoy it... had a very busy week in work, this is my first day off since last Saturday week, so didn't get a whole lot done. Glad to get in early and do this today... Probably not the smartest idea as I'm running the Samsung 10k tonight but I've done so little training for it that, at this stage, I've given up any hope of chasing a decent time so it'll really be just a 10k jog for me. Hence, there was no point skipping a session for it...

Did the Samsung 10k Night Run in 48:38 in the end - very happy with that. First time running over that distance, had ran five-milers, a 10-miler and a half-mar but never actually ran the 10k distance before. Enjoyed it and time is encouraging as I know with a bit more prep I'd knock a bit off it next time... I'll definitely do one or two more this summer...

Saturday April 4

After three days of Golf, sunburn and booze this week, I wasn't looking forward to this... but it's never as bad as you think it's gonna be (unlike the golf, which is always worse than you hope it's gonna be)...

Warm-up: Lotsa good stretching and hip mobility work...

1) SUPERSET
    Deadlift 5 x 5 - 120kg; 125kg; 130kg; 135kg; 140kg
    with
    Incline DB Press 5 x 5 - 22kg; 24kg; 27.5kg; 27.5kg; 30kg

2) SUPERSET
    Seated Row (full stack + 25kg plate) 5 x 10
    with
    Single-leg Squats 5 x 5 each leg

3) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldown 5 x 5
    with
    Arnold Press 5 x 5 (24kg DBs)

4) SUPERSET
    Lying Tricep Extensions 5 x 5
    with
    Hammer Curls 5 x 5

I felt fine throughout this. I'm not sure what to make of the DLs, the last set (140) felt good and strong, in fact it felt the best of the 5 sets, but I'm not sure how well the video looks. Haven't much experience on the DL so hoping those in the know here might give me a few pointers. I feel like my back is far too rounded and my balance doesn't seem great either. Perhaps I should widen my stance... rest of it was fine, feeling good and, despite not being in the humour beforehand, it was good to be back after nearly a week off... finally have the feeling back in the oul legs after that 10k last Sunday! :D

• Advertisement

Wednesday April 8, 2013

1) SUPERSET

Bench Press 4 x 6: 80kg; 85kg; 85kg; 85kg; 87.5kg
    with
    Dumbell Swings 4 x 8: 24kg; 24kg; 27.5kg; 27.5kg; 27.5kg

2) SUPERSET
    Inverted Rows (feet raised) 4 x 12
    with
    Split-leg Squats (BW) 4 x 12

3) SUPERSET
    Goblet Squats (15kg DB) 3 x 25
    with
    Push-ups 3 x 25

Yes... this work-out does look suspiciously like the one posted on the Facebook page of a fellow boardsie yesterday... and?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Your deadlift is more of straight leg deadlift and back is quite rounded as a result. Your hips are shooting up before you pull. On phone so can't say much more know.

Sangre wrote: »
    Your deadlift is more of straight leg deadlift and back is quite rounded as a result. Your hips are shooting up before you pull. On phone so can't say much more know.

Thanks, I don't know a whole lot about the DL, I just know that video doesn't look 'right' compared to others I've watched... when you (or anyone else!) get a chance, a bit more analysis would be great...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Thanks, I don't know a whole lot about the DL, I just know that video doesn't look 'right' compared to others I've watched... when you (or anyone else!) get a chance, a bit more analysis would be great...

Hey dude, check out the lads having a look at my vids, some of what's there might be of relevance to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Check out Ridley's thread, even have a look at DL video I posted at recently in my log. I'm only just back into DLs so that video is not perfect by any means (leaning onto toes a bit much in that video) but is a better start.

Your form is wrong as your setup is never right. You need to sit back, feet firmly planted on the ground with your hips down (about a quarter squat (a squarter)) and your shoulders and chest up. Shoulders should be slightly in front of bar. You should be nearly falling back if it wasn't for bar to hold on to. Your head should be in line with your spine but you don't need to look up. If you can't get into position then you need to work on hips.

On pull, brace your core and attempt to press floor away with heels while trying to keep you chest up at all points. The bar should be kept as close as bar to legs on way up.

You'll see in your video your hips immediately fly up and you begin to pull bar with torso almost parallel to floor. While pulling you should almost be trying to keep hips down and chest up.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote: »
    Check out Ridley's thread, even have a look at DL video I posted at recently in my log. I'm only just back into DLs so that video is not perfect by any means (leaning onto toes a bit much in that video) but is a better start.

Your form is wrong as your setup is never right. You need to sit back, feet firmly planted on the ground with your hips down (about a quarter squat (a squarter)) and your shoulders and chest up. Shoulders should be slightly in front of bar. You should be nearly falling back if it wasn't for bar to hold on to. Your head should be in line with your spine but you don't need to look up. If you can't get into position then you need to work on hips.

On pull, brace your core and attempt to press floor away with heels while trying to keep you chest up at all points. The bar should be kept as close as bar to legs on way up.

You'll see in your video your hips immediately fly up and you begin to pull bar with torso almost parallel to floor. While pulling you should almost be trying to keep hips down and chest up.

That's great Sangre, thanks a lot...

Thursday May 9

Working out with a pal, followed his lead...

1) SUPERSET
    with Empty 7ft bar - 3 times thru
    Military press x 20
    with
    Squats x 20
    with
    Squat Jumps x 20
    (almost died...)

2) SUPERSET with Empty 7ft bar - twice thru
    BB Rows x 20
    with
    Alternating Lunges x 20
    with
    Jump Split Squats x 20 (no bar)

3) SUPERSET with 5kg DBs - 3 times thru
    Front Raises x 10
    with
    Side Raises x 10
    with
    Raised knee raises (??) x 10 each side (totally made up name there)

4) Dips
    with 26kg DB x 10
    with 30kg DB x 8
    with 36kg DB x 6

5) Tricep EZ-Curl Bar Extentions x 12 x 10 x 8

6) Tricep.... I dunno what the f*ck to call these. Empty bar on lowest rung of Squat Rack, knees on bench and you kinda press then dip your head under the bar. Really worked the Triceps though, I must admit... just looked like a tool doing them... anyhoo, yeah, two sets of 10 on those...

7) Push-ups on Kettlebells with feet on Bosu Ball - 2 x 10

Huh, didn't realise how much was in all that til I wrote it all down... first two Supersets were a killer!

Tuesday May 14, 2013

Ok, so taking on board some feedback from Sangre and Ridley, I got one of the PTs in the gym to help put me through my paces in the Deadlift... I think I've improved my form alot even in that quick little session... here's the vids, as always, all comments appreciated...

160kg x 3

180kg x 1

You do almost the same thing I do. Your hips shoot up and you begin to really pull with your lower back. Saying this, my form isn't fixed so take this with a dash of salt. If you have the same problems I do, sort out your mobility. I really worked my ass off at it last week and although I haven't video-ed my last deadlifting session my squats have improved a lot on depth with a higher weight too. They feel more comfortable, I can squat way deeper without feeling a pain in my abductors.

If this goes over too my deads I presume I should be able to get deeper into my starting position and effectively then if my back rounds, it's a strength thing I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would it be worth dropping back to 100KG or something and get your form right with that?
    If you are working near your max then you are more likely to blow your form as you near your strength limits...

GreeBo wrote: »
    Would it be worth dropping back to 100KG or something and get your form right with that?
    If you are working near your max then you are more likely to blow your form as you near your strength limits...

Yes I'll definitely work on it at lower weights for a while, I worked from 60kg up thru the weights yesterday for 6-8 reps. Then I just decided to flute about a bit with a Rep Max attempt.

Ridley - I do have tight hips but I don't think it's a mobility problem, or at least not 'just' a mobility problem... I feel like I have trouble dragging the weight in the right direction, if you like. Probably in my head as much as anything.

Obviously, in a Deadlift you go straight up. But, I think I'm right in saying the sensation u want is that you're driving up thru your heels, correct? This is where I fall down, I think. From my vids, I feel like my balance is poor with my weight too far forward...

Thoughts anybody? Am I talking out of my Swiss here.... again??! :D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Yes I'll definitely work on it at lower weights for a while, I worked from 60kg up thru the weights yesterday for 6-8 reps. Then I just decided to flute about a bit with a Rep Max attempt.

Ridley - I do have tight hips but I don't think it's a mobility problem, or at least not 'just' a mobility problem... I feel like I have trouble dragging the weight in the right direction, if you like. Probably in my head as much as anything.

Obviously, in a Deadlift you go straight up. But, I think I'm right in saying the sensation u want is that you're driving up thru your heels, correct? This is where I fall down, I think. From my vids, I feel like my balance is poor with my weight too far forward...

Thoughts anybody? Am I talking out of my Swiss here.... again??! :D

I understand what you mean:)

Definitely cut back the weight and focus on setting yourself correctly. This all seems so hypocritical coming from me :pac:

Re the mobility- it would definitely be worth foam rolling your quads, hamstrings, abductors and lower back. I bought bands from sports direct and granted they're nothing special but for what I want they'll do and for them it only cause 15e and I've already seen the benefits:)

Bryce Lewis has lots of mobility tips too and is well worth the watch.

Thursday May 16, 2013

Warm-up:
    Up early so walked the dog 3.5 miles... then had a killer spinning class for 40 mins... was well warmed up by that stage!

1) SUPERSET
    BB Squat 5 x 5 - 120kg; 120kg; 120kg; 120kg; 120kg
    with
    Bench Press 5 x 5 - 90kg; 90kg; 90kg; 90kg; 90kg

2) SUPERSET
    Chin-ups (with 32.5kg DB added) 5 x 5
    with
    BB Lunges 5 x 5

3) SUPERSET
    Military Press 50kg 5 x 5
    with
    Bent Over BB Rows 5 x 5

4) SUPERSET
    Tricep Rope Pushdowns 5 x 5
    with
    BB Curls 5 x 5

Without a doubt the most active morning of my life! Think I'll have a lie on tomorrow then play golf ;)

Friday May 17, 2013

Didn't get out to golf in the end so brought the dog for an oul walk (3.5miles) and then done something I never do - packed up the foamroller and resistance band and headed off to the gym, stopping off to buy a tennis ball on the way!

Spent about 1hr15mins doing various mobility work and stretching, had a jacuzzi afterward and I have to say I feel a million dollars now... really must do it more often!

Truth be told, my warm-ups are often token gestures, especially if I'm in a hurry...

Did alot of the exercises you see her in these Bryce Lewis vids (cheers Ridley!)...

Glad you got some good out of them:) he's a mobility genius IMO.

• Advertisement

Glad you got some good out of them:) he's a mobility genius IMO.

Could've done without his stretchy pants in Video 2 mind you :)

Saturday May 18, 2013

Warm-up: Pilates
    class for an hour. First class in 3 weeks, did alot of mobility stuff, was good... stretched etc...

1) SUPERSET
    Deadlifts 5 x 5 - 140kg; 150kg; 150kg; 150kg; 150kg
    with
    Inclined DB Press 5 x 5 - 24kg; 26kg; 27.5kg; 30kg; 30kg

2) SUPERSET
    Seated Row 5 x 5
    with
    Single-leg Squats 5 x 5 each side

3) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldowns 5 x 5
    with
    Arnold Press 5 x 5 (22kg DBs)

4) SUPERSET
    Lying Tricep Extensions 5 x 5 (36kg DB)
    with
    Hammer Curls 5 x 5 (22kg DBs)

This was enjoyable... All felt good... No gym now til Tuesday...

GAA training for first time in two years tonight. Wasn't a particularly taxing session but can feel the benefit of the gym-work, felt very sharp and strong... getting there, slowly but surely...

"Just like what you hear with a shell pressed to your ear
    That's the sea in the trees in the morning"

Friday May 24, 2013

Warm-up:
    30-minute Spin Class, tough enough...

1) Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 12
    50kg x 5
    60kg x 5
    70kg x 3
    80kg x 3
    90kg x 3
    100kg x 3
    105kg x 3

2) DB Bench Press: Two sets - 26kg DBs x20; x15

3) SUPERSET
    Seated Row 4 x 12
    with
    Rear Delt Flyes 4 x 12

4) DB Shrugs: 36kg DBs, 4 x 15

5) DB Curls: 4 x 15, first set 15kg, rest of sets 12.5kg

6) BLAB Finisher: Barbell Complex (RDLs, Bent Rows, Hang Cleans, Push Press, Squats x 10 each) x 3 with strict 60 secs rest in between... had to take a break for 6-8 secs halfway through last circuit... tough going!

Monday May 27, 2013

(*stolen, nay 'borrowed', from Hanley's RevFit FB page a few weeks back...*)

1) SUPERSET x 4
    Bench Press 85kg x 8
    with
    Heavy KB Swings (28kg bell) x 8

2) SUPERSET x 4
    Reverse Rows x 12
    with
    Single Leg Squats x 15

3) SUPERSET x 3
    Goblet Squats (12.5kg DB) x 25
    with
    Push Ups x 25

Decent workout, kind of sauntered my way through the first Superset with a big mad Monday morning head on me... so I had to do the second and third sets quite quickly and they left me well worked out let me tell ya!

Tuesday May 28

Warm-up:
    Spinning class, 30 mins, tough enough...

Hoping to make this a regular thing... I spent 1hr 15 mins just stretching, foamrolling and doing various mobility worh with particular attention paid to problem areas (ie, left hip and right shoulder)... feel great after it... now to work on the golf game before tipping into work in the afternoon :D

Thursday May 30

1)
    Push-ups x 15; Chin-ups (+20kg) x 15; DB Presses (26kg) 3 x 15

2) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldowns 4 x 12
    with
    Rear Delt Flyes 4 x 12

3) DB Shoulder Presses: (20kg) 4 x 12

4) SUPERSET
    DB Shrugs (40kg) 3 x 10
    with
    DB Curls (16kg) 3 x 10

Followed by a haaaape of beer...

Saturday June 1, 2013

Late to the gym for no other reason other than I was watching TV...

Warm-up: Lotsa stretching and working on the hip & shoulder. Can already feel the benefit of just two dedicated stretching/foamrolling/mobility sessions I've gotten in over the past fortnight... will definitely be making a habit of this... forgot what it was like to Bench Press relatively pain-free...

1) SUPERSET
    BB Squat 125kg 5 x 5
    with
    Bench Press 90kg 5 x 5

2) SUPERSET
    Chin-ups (+32.5kg) 5 x 5
    with
    Barbell Lunges 5 x 5

3) Hammer Curls (22kg) x 10 each side

4) Push-ups x 50

Sunday June 2, 2013

Rest of yesterday's session...

1) SUPERSET

Military Press 50kg 5 x 5
    with
    BB Rows 5 x 5

2) SUPERSET
    Overhead Tricep Extensions 5 x 5
    with
    EZ-Bar Curls 5 x 5

3) Push-ups x 50

No more TV before work days for WHIP IT! :)

Wednesday June 5, 2013

Can't blame TV for keeping me late for gym today... but I can blame my bed!

1) SUPERSET
    Deadlifts 140kg 5 x 5 (with slightly less rest than usual between sets)
    with
    Inclined DB Press 27.5kg 5 x 5

2) SUPERSET
    Lat Pulldowns 5 x 5
    with
    Arnold Press 22kg DBs 5 x 5

Get the F*CK up out of bed, WHIP IT...

• Advertisement

Advertisement