Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A day in the lfe of a computers student???

Options
  • 06-11-2012 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭

Hi im thinking of going for some kind of a computer course in UL, maybe games development. Can anyone in these courses tell me about your usual week? E.g what you do each day, lectures, what you do in between etc. Obviously i dont wan to get too personal..
    Id appreciate any feedback, thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Scumbag+Semicolon.+just+something+that+pissed+me+off+while+in_88463d_3293276.jpg

:D

In all seriousness though, most of you time is (or should be) spent in front of the computer programming. If you have no experience with it, this should definitely be the case. I'm not sure about the Games side of it as I'm doing regular old CompSys but I personally found the programming to be the hardest, and most rewarding, part of the course so far.

You're looking at about 25 hours of lectures/tuts/labs per week, plus you'll probably want to be doing 10-15+ hours yourself too.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 DJpaudie

Im doing Mobile Comms. Don't go by the points system. The courses in IT have low entry due to lack of demand but as far the maths and programming goes youll have to spend a good bit of time working on it to get by in the course! Best of luck with it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bokkenspiel

I'm in first year of games development. There's about 21hrs per week. All the modules contain maths and some problem solving. If your not doing honours maths don't do the course. The entry is like a b2 in pass, but they only have that there so more people with enter the course. The maths isn't all that difficult but they are mainly be like new concepts of maths to you compared to leaving cert.

Programming languages in semester 1 is Java, html and lisp and then you learn C++ later(don't know what the other ones you learn later are). Year one is mixed in with computer systems course so you wont be doing much game related stuff until 2nd year. theres about 6hrs of labs and 5hrs of tutorials. In labs you are basically on computers practicing what you are doing in lectures. Some things like java need a bit extra time outside of labs(0-2hrs per week extra to do well in java depending on what you are learning). In tutorials you are doing exercises done by either the lecturer or a student in 3rdor4th year. Some of the labs and tutorials are pointless because the topics are fairly basic and are just a matter of learning. So I only do about 15hrs a week.

What I've heard from students in 2nd and 3rd year, in 2nd they give you a lot of work to do yourself outside of lectures,labs and tutorials. eg projects (one of which is making a mod for skyrim/oblivion)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If your not doing honours maths don't do the course. The entry is like a b2 in pass, but they only have that there so more people with enter the course.

Do not listen to this part.

I was failing honours maths miserably, did pass maths, got an A1 and have no issue with the maths side of the course. The minimum is a B2, but you'd want to be pushing for a high B1 or an A1 to be prepared for the course.

Programming languages in semester 1 is Java, html and lisp and then you learn C++ later(don't know what the other ones you learn later are). Year one is mixed in with computer systems course so you wont be doing much game related stuff until 2nd year. theres about 6hrs of labs and 5hrs of tutorials. In labs you are basically on computers practicing what you are doing in lectures. Some things like java need a bit extra time outside of labs(0-2hrs per week extra to do well in java depending on what you are learning). In tutorials you are doing exercises done by either the lecturer or a student in 3rdor4th year. Some of the labs and tutorials are pointless because the topics are fairly basic and are just a matter of learning. So I only do about 15hrs a week.

What I've heard from students in 2nd and 3rd year, in 2nd they give you a lot of work to do yourself outside of lectures,labs and tutorials. eg projects (one of which is making a mod for skyrim/oblivion)

The course changed last year (so the current 1st and 2nd years are doing the new course while 3rd years and 4th years are doing the old course). I'm repeating part of 2nd year, and can confirm that from 2nd year onwards the emphasis shifts to project work. You'll be putting in lots of work outside your 21hrs a week.

In between lectures (assuming you're not getting lunch or just dossing about), generally most people will either be in the ICT Learning Centre getting help with course work or in a lab working on Java/C++/projects if there's one free.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Thanks guys really helpful..
    Just one or two more things..whats the general atmosphere in UL like? Is the nightlife any good? Also where would ye recommend living..on campus or outside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

kerryked wrote: »
    Thanks guys really helpful..
    Just one or two more things..whats the general atmosphere in UL like? Is the nightlife any good? Also where would ye recommend living..on campus or outside?

Generally there's a brilliant atmosphere on campus. Really relaxed and chilled out most of the time.

As for where to live, I've lived on campus for three years, couldn't recommend it more. I'd definitely go for on campus in first year, because you'll be living with 5-7 other first years and it's a great way to make friends IMO.

But there are people who swear by living off-campus in first year. It's very subjective. Check out this thread for lots more details on accommodation.

Advertisement