Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas desserts/snacks ideas

Options
  • 06-11-2012 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

Other then the usual spiced beef, turkey, ham, beef main meals. I was wondering what everyone else will be having as a sweet?

i was thinking that dessert on Christmas day will be pavlova.
    Maybe Trifle on Stephens day.

I'm going to make my own truffles this year, as treats. I can change up the flavour when making different batches. Peppermint..then orange the next time. I was looking today at the usual boxes of sweets, on special offer, €6 for a tin of roses/quality street etc, but the lads here could quite literally go through a tin ... a day! at €6 a tin that could be a bit expensive. Hence the truffles (and the lil ones can *help* me make them too). they are so easy to make.

We dont really like the full on Christmas cake so I'll get a pack of fingers instead, handy with a cuppa.

We don't eat Christmas pudding (too rich) same goes for mince pies (too sweet)

Christmas morning i'll make fab fat pancakes for the small ones (golden syrup on top)

i'll stock up on the obligatory sausage rolls (I might make them myself) and of course the cocktail sausages....

I'm not the very best at making my own biscuits but I can make shortbread, and I know hubby will get a box as part of his Christmas bonus.(biscuits,whiskey, & cash)

Of course hot chocolate with the marshmallows.

Can anyone add to this list? Thanks :-)

(I'm looking to staying away from the after 8's, roses, crisps, tortillas, dips, tins of sweets this year, and looking more towards home-made) :-)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just two quick questions,

I would love your Truffles recipe and can I come to yours for Christmas? You pretty much have my mouth drooling at the thought of all those snacks and desserts haha!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gavarnaigreen

What is nice aswell as a dessert fro December 24 or 25th or 26th is un Buche de Noel or a Yule Log, they are delicious

or else an alternative to a trifle is a White Chocolate and Berry Tiramisu

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭mashedbanana

What is nice aswell as a dessert fro December 24 or 25th or 26th is un Buche de Noel or a Yule Log, they are delicious

Tiramisu! forgot about that! Thank you :-)

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Just two quick questions,

I would love your Truffles recipe and can I come to yours for Christmas? You pretty much have my mouth drooling at the thought of all those snacks and desserts haha!!
    Oh, I found the recipe on line. Alot easier then I had first thought it would be! I had a look at the Gordon Ramsay one too. I'm going for the basic one to start (cream, chocolate pieces, and peppermint) :-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Oh, I found the recipe on line. Alot easier then I had first thought it would be! I had a look at the Gordon Ramsay one too. I'm going for the basic one to start (cream, chocolate pieces, and peppermint) :-)

Thanks! Must try the Gordon Ramsay receipt myself! Hope it isn't too hard haha!

• Advertisement

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Thanks! Must try the Gordon Ramsay receipt myself! Hope it isn't too hard haha!

Ya, I saw his video up on youtube. His recipe calls for fresh mint, I dont have any fresh mint growing :-(

A shot of baileys in with the cream when its off the boil....baileys truffles. divine!!!

Brandy...orange...peppermint...plain!....emm...can't think what else...

Must be better then aying €6 for a tin of Roses that'll only last a day! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭cookie75

Try the cooking forum long thread on home-made christmas dessert/snacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭elbee

I'm hoping to try truffles this year too - I was going to do chilli ones! Some great suggestions here: http://www.inspired-by-chocolate-and-cakes.com/truffle-flavours.html

I'll probably end up making a baileys-malteser cheesecake, if not chocolate orange fondants also

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'll probably end up making a baileys-malteser cheesecake, if not chocolate orange fondants also

Can't go wrong with the old baileys cheese cake! I possibly might whip out a banoffee pie too. I'll have a google and see if I can spruce up the banofee pie to make it more christmasey! :-)

• Advertisement

Can't go wrong with the old baileys cheese cake! I possibly might whip out a banoffee pie too. I'll have a google and see if I can spruce up the banofee pie to make it more christmasey! :-)

Green food colouring :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm hoping to try my hand at a gingerbread house this year. Only thing is I haven't really properly baked before and my attempts of artistic creation are usually dire. Still, nothing like setting yourself up with a challenge right?

I did have a look at a nice roulade recipe, fudgy... mmmmm :-)

I'm hoping to try my hand at a gingerbread house this year. Only thing is I haven't really properly baked before and my attempts of artistic creation are usually dire. Still, nothing like setting yourself up with a challenge right?

Give it a go before Christmas! practice run. I never made one to be honest. But I have been known to make g/bread men, and hang them off the Christmas tree (Nigella style) with nice ribbon. Visitors were very impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Give it a go before Christmas! practice run. I never made one to be honest. But I have been known to make g/bread men, and hang them off the Christmas tree (Nigella style) with nice ribbon. Visitors were very impressed!

What did the gingerbread men ever do to deserve to be hanged :(

:D

Yeah thanks, might do a try practice one all right, or even try gingerbead men like you beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

re. the truffles. Great idea and the do come out very rich and decadent (although I haven't and have no wish to try anything of gordon remises). But just to bear in mind if you are making these for somebody, they do cost a LOT to make if you are starting from scratch. It might sound lovely and home-made but believe me, when you have to purchase all the ingredients you will be astounded at the price it is going to cost. Not being a killjoy here but it bears thinking about before you start going down the path of making truffles. They do cost, and cost a lot. but if you still want to go ahead, then they do come out fab. Mine last year were devine, and what I liked most of all was that they were crooked as opposed to uniformly round. Definitely looked home-made, but you could only eat one per day they were that rich. You also will need a nice box and fancy tissue paper for presentation. ya might be better of with the tin of roses.

re. the truffles. Great idea and the do come out very rich and decadent (although I haven't and have no wish to try anything of gordon remises). But just to bear in mind if you are making these for somebody, they do cost a LOT to make if you are starting from scratch. It might sound lovely and home-made but believe me, when you have to purchase all the ingredients you will be astounded at the price it is going to cost. Not being a killjoy here but it bears thinking about before you start going down the path of making truffles. They do cost, and cost a lot. but if you still want to go ahead, then they do come out fab. Mine last year were devine, and what I liked most of all was that they were crooked as opposed to uniformly round. Definitely looked home-made, but you could only eat one per day they were that rich. You also will need a nice box and fancy tissue paper for presentation. ya might be better of with the tin of roses.

The kids are mad for them, I tried them last night as a sort of rehersal! Turned out gorgeous! Cream, Chocolate and flavouring...thats was all I used. Defnitely a winner!

Advertisement