Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam skills geography

• 07-11-2012 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got an A1 using this book? my text book isn't great, horizons. Has any one else any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 daveshere

I got 89% in Geography for my leaving (i looked at my paper after correction). I forget the name of my book but the book doesn't really matter, it's the work you do yourself. get 18 SRP's for an answer, that gives you room to forget some (15 needed). I got a C1 on my mock, but after my teacher explained how to answer the questions to my liking it got much easier. Just keep taking notes from your teacher and getting full marks in small tests, all will be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I got an A2 (the specific marks were really really high in the long q's though so thats kinda what matters for you), with 74/80 (part A cost me 6!), 78/80, 76/80. I got 62/80 in my option but it wasn't one done in that book, but really the reason I didn't do as well is because my predictions were wrong. :pac: The only thing is though that that book doesn't even come close to answering everything on the syllabus, but it's extremely useful for SRPs because most books don't have enough (I found anyway - Today's World. My teacher gave us photocopies from some amazing bullet pointed book though). All the information is probably there from the syllabus, but you'll need to mix and match it to answer new questions properly, or at least change the focus if that makes sense. One thing that stands out is that I used information from regional that I'd read in the book for a distinctive landscape region or something? I forget what it was, Q5, and I described the burren using (more or less) an answer from that book.

The author has a textbook or two and I think they're called just the name given on the syllabus, but I honestly can't remember, but the revision book is definitely a great help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 daveshere

I got mostly the same but the option was my best, i got 78 in it. Getting information from different sources is key anyway yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 limerickmark

Using different books is really good to broaden knowledge!! As one of the lads said above try and aim for 18 srps.... thats what I did and got an A1 in both 11/12. That book is good because it doesn't stray from the syllabus, but no one book has all the answers, adapting your knowledge is essential and its how confident you are in doing so! No harm in buying the book, it will do you good!
    Whatever you do, don't predict the exam! dangerous method there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Our class used a combination of sample answers from the Exam Skills book and the Shortcuts to Success book (that only covers Physical and Regional) and I got an A1 in Geography (95%- I checked the script) but I often added in extra SRPs to those sample answers just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭malascoile

we have the exam skills book but our teacher said not all of the answers will get you 30/30. he also said they change the questions slightly so you cant just have 15 srps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

thanks for the replies, i use exam skills, the book, rapid revision and shortcuts to succes i hope theyll be ok!

Advertisement