Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice and ideas for €1500 gaming rig

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gotham wrote: »
    WHAT? You need a minimum of 1600 for a decent gaming rig and that's being lax, try for 1800 or even a lot higher.
    Speed is way more important that capacity for ram. It's the ram timings that matter less (especially for ddr3).

I was working off info about Sandy Bridge. Didn't think there was too much of a difference between Ivy and Sandy in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I was working off info about Sandy Bridge. Didn't think there was too much of a difference between Ivy and Sandy in this regard.
    Well I understand It was a little less relevant for ddr3 than it was for ddr2, but on ddr2 the difference was noticeable (not that either Ivy or Sandy even support ddr2).
    Despite what I see in those benchmarks, i thought that compression speeds differed quite a lot with different ram speed.
    If you buy any K variant of the i5/i7 processors it's assumed you wish to overclock them - in those cases a higher ramspeed makes the process a lot easier.
    I want to add that overclocking on modern hardware is easy, safe and it doesn't require additional cooling to add another 1Ghz to your i5/i7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Yeah I think Gotham's reaction to the lower frequency RAM was a little bit over exaggerated as with Sandy/Ivy the frequency doesn't have as big an effect as it did previously, especially for gaming. However there is a difference and the difference is bigger for other activities like compression or video rendering.
    And Ivy is a bit more sensitive to frequencies than Sandy.

So if possible you should get 1600MHz especially if gaming isn't the sole use of the PC. But if your on a budget cutting the RAM frequency down to 1333MHz isn't the worst cut back you could make :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

However, I have looked the build over and updated it after thinking about it a little and talking to some peeps and reading what you guys were saying.

Any thoughts?
    Your build is fine but you can have the exact same performance for less money

This motherboard will do the same job for much less
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/DDR3/57624/ASRock+Z77+Extreme4%2C+Sockel+1155%2C+ATX.article

The 670 gtx uses very little power compared to previous cards
    This
    http://lb.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/24479/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+650W.article
    would run 2 of them in sli with a overclocked cpu and several hard drives.

Only get the i7 if you use applications that can make use of hyperthreading(most don't)

If you go with the better value hardware you could get a second SSD and have your operating system and programs on one and have another dedicated to games. Or get a more expensive case.

Advertisement