Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad to iPad Mini

• 07-11-2012 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has got their hands on the iPad mini yet? I have the original iPad and and thinking of upgrading, I like the idea of the iPad mini, I know it's expensive compared to the Nexus 7 but I want o keep the apps I have on my iPad, the poll on the iPad mini thread doesn't look too positive :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Had the iPad mini since launch day now, my iPad 3rd Gen has barely been touched since.

The screen is a definite downgrade after a retina display but that's the only thing I could fault so far and after a couple of hours use it becomes less noticeable. The smaller form factor is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,897 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If you really want a Mini then keep your original iPad for a few more months until the retina version comes out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Agree with @Graham - the lack of a retina display is a bit of a downer, but the portability and smaller size more than make up for it - I've found it's much easier to use on the go (as in while actually moving as opposed to porting it from place to place) compared to my pad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I have a feeling the ipad mini is always going to have last years specs on the ipad,

So this ipad mini is basically an ipad 2 in a smaller form factor, the next ipad mini will basically be an ipad 3 with the retina display.

Its not a bad choice from upgrading from the original ipad, but buying one when you already have an ipad 3rg gen is just stupid

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Its not a bad choice from upgrading from the original ipad, but buying one when you already have an ipad 3rg gen is just stupid

Unless of course the form factor of the iPad mini works better for you (as it does for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Graham wrote: »
    Unless of course the form factor of the iPad mini works better for you (as it does for me).

Was just going to say this, I had a play with a mini over the weekend and the form factor is much neater, if you commute or travel a lot where you'll be bringing the iPad then the form factor is much better. If however you just use the iPad at home and it never really leaves the house then there's not much point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,935 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Could never use the iPad mini without Retina. Had a look at it in Compu B earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I really wanted to buy a iPad mini, but I am just so dissappointed by the display, a real shame.

OP wait till next year for the inevitable second generation version.

I've been carting around my iPad 3rd Gen and iPad mini since last Friday.

3rd gen hasn't seen the light of day at all so far.

If you're moving from an original iPad, the screen should be an improvement over what you're used to as it's the same resolution in a smaller package so the pixels are at a higher density. That said, I agree with draffodx. If you mostly use it at home you might not feel the benefit of a smaller form factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Folks thanks for all the feedback, I use my iPad out and about quiet a bit during work etc, the iPad 1 is fairly bulky too when traveling. On the display I haven't seen the retina display in action but it must be a big difference compared to what I have now. So what's the rumours on the next iPad mini upgrade will I have to wait as long as March?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, I'd be hesitant to tell people to wait till March when it could easily be a year.

My thoughts exactly, you could wait forever for the next new improved ... to be released.

If it does what you want now, there's not a huge amount to be gained by waiting.

I've no doubt there will be a Retina version in the next update but I won't be hanging around waiting for it. At least with most Apple products there is a reasonable resale value should you get the overwhelming urge to upgrade to the latest and greatest at some point in the future.

Advertisement